Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:01 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Teaching your kids safety 
 Post subject: Teaching your kids safety
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 10:16 am 

I am the proud father of three. My sixteen and fourteen year old sons have shot more critters than most city-dwellers have seen. In my haste to keep those boys in ammo my nine year old daughter has been kept out of the hunting/shooting loop. Sunday in a father/daughter road trip to move equipment she asked about getting to shoot (again). I felt guilty because another day was going to pass when we weren't going to have time for the pellet gun or .22. I did however find out that my daughter has paid attention to our safety discussions. When I asked about what are the rules for safety the first rule she blurted out was... "keep the booger hook off the bang switch"
Yeah I was proud.
She does listen.
I think that deserves a little time with dad next weekend!

Just a note from another proud dad.
Tex

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:38 am 

Great story! I have a son and a daughter and I have to say they both grew up shooting from a very young age. My son is a super shot and had great luck hunting all kinds of game. Now, he is not real interested in shooting, he lives in Alaska. My little girl on the other hand, is a good shot and hunted just enough that she told me "Daddy, I can do it if I have too, but I really do not want to kill anything today". Well, I never pushed it and she is the one that likes to come home and go out to the range with me. I hear her talk and I know she has heard all my rants on the Lib's and their ideas on the 2nd amendment. She giggles when she tells me all the shocked looks she gets when her girl friends find out she shoots and has a handgun. She really laughs when GUYS freak out, I think she has the most fun with that. I hope your kids find the fun and keep shooting!!

Post subject: Kids and guns
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:05 pm 

While I'm younger than both of you and never was raised in a hunting family I do have to say that Ever since boy scouts I've enjoyed target shooting. Also I hope then when my daughter gets older she will give the sport a try if she likes it great if not, to each there own. 80)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:32 pm 

We had a fun shooting weekend. One of the county 4H Blackpowder instructors invited us over for a picnic (and to help halter-break a 900 pound steer) Way off topic... :oops:
We were rewarded with shooting blackpowder. His 10 YO son did most of the teaching. As a recall the song goes, "powder, patch, ball..." We had a great time and a new addiction was born!
Again it was my daughter that stole the show. While we were shooting and reloading the rifle, Mike brought out the .45 BP revolver and showed her how to load it. We each got a chance at throwing the six chunks of lead out and she would reload. Finally I asked her if she would like to try shooting. I had guessed that the smoke, noise, recoil would scare her away. I was wrong, she got a huge smile and jumped up to shoot.
Now I have to admit I was 10 when I first shot a Ruger Blackhawk with .38 specials, but this is my daughter! Yeah, I'm a little protective. I kept seeing that chunk of iron coming back and smacking her in that beautiful little forehead. So I went through everything I could think of for safety (yeah, she was tired of hearing it by the time I was done) I finally shut-up and decided to reach around her and with my right hand under the grip to hold some of the weight and my left hand over her double grip. We (she) prepared to fire...
She said 'a little higher, a little higher, to the left' and BOOM. She put the first shot 2" to the right of bullseye at 25' :D
The gun came back down to ready. I did the daddy happy dance, and told her how great she was. She gave me the look, and I realized that I was holding up her getting to the next shot. The second shot I only put my right hand under the grip to help hold up the gun. She did the next four on her own.
Her birthday is in two weeks. Is a 45 BP revolver a good gift for your 10 year old daughter?

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject: Nice story
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 3:13 pm 

Hehe yeah I can see that my daughter's only 5 and can be quite opnionated so I kinda know what you mean. I just also rember my sister being in gir scouts hearing what we did in boy scouts and being jelious. I want my daughter to get the opertunity to pick what she likes.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.