Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 I Suck At Turkey Hunting 
 Post subject: I Suck At Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:17 pm 

So I'm hunting public land about an hour south of St. Paul.

Saturday I hunt with a friend who is a good caller. The only action we get is a young jake. I am right handed, but have to shoot left handed because I can't move. I shoot...the jake leaves never to be seen again.
In the afternoon I have to avoid 3 hikers.

Sunday, same area. They stop gobbling at 8:30. At about 10:00 I bump some birds. I sit for 15 minutes, set up and start calling. A few minutes later I hear two feet. They get louder and louder. Whoa! This is one large turkey. Nope...it's a fat chick with a backpack and a walking stick.

Monday, They stop calling at 7:00. I hear zip, zero nada until Oneish. Then the thunder rolls in and they start gobbling.

Tuesday, it's cold, damp and foggy. A few gobbling, but nothing close. After 4 hours I have one "relatively" close, but nothing. At 11:00 I'm walking back to the truck and hear that close one again. I set up, call...dead silence! AM I THAT BAD? I'm sitting near my truck moping about how I suck (and I'm done for this year) and 3 guys show up. They, at least have the courtesey to say that the birds are very finicky this year.

So, maybe I don't suck that bad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

It is just like fishing, sometimes the TNT works, sometimes it doesn't. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:32 am 

During our hunt the Tom's were not responding to our calls and decoys at all. I had a pair of Jakes come in one morning but let them be. The Tom I finally bagged early Tuesday afternoon I essentially had to stalk. I was with a buddy and we spotted two Toms strutting across a field about 300 yards away. We side-skirted a ravine and then came up at a point that was closer. We were able to sneak a couple decoys out when the Tom's walked around a point and then one came back. It ignored our calls and proceeded to walk out into the middle of the field about 80 yards away and strutted for about 15 minutes. Then a hen walked out there and walked back into the ravine where we were sitting and the tom followed the live hen. It was only then I was able to get a shot. I've heard others comment about turkey hunting not being the same as it used to be....

Post subject: Re: I Suck At Turkey Hunting
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:36 am 
Longtime Regular

lumbering.buffalo wrote:
In the afternoon I have to avoid 3 hikers.

Sunday, same area. They stop gobbling at 8:30. At about 10:00 I bump some birds. I sit for 15 minutes, set up and start calling. A few minutes later I hear two feet. They get louder and louder. Whoa! This is one large turkey. Nope...it's a fat chick with a backpack and a walking stick.

Careful, you need a special permit for hikers. :shock: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

That is all....

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.