Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 New DNR regs are out 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
heh heh. Since they are legal in the slug zone for deer hunting I think they make an awesome alternative to a slug gun during any of the firearms seasons considering.

For clarification, you are saying that one can use a black powder muzzle loader during regular season in shotgun only zones?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

hammAR wrote:
KonaSeven wrote:
heh heh. Since they are legal in the slug zone for deer hunting I think they make an awesome alternative to a slug gun during any of the firearms seasons considering.

For clarification, you are saying that one can use a black powder muzzle loader during regular season in shotgun only zones?

Yes. Black powder or smokeless can be used during any firearms season. Smokeless has now been added to the muzzleloader only season as well. Scopes can be used during the regular season as well but not during muzzleloader only season.

I'll grab the sections;

Quote:
Rifle-Shotgun Boundary
• For 2007, the rifle-shotgun boundary has been modified. The new
boundary is that portion of Clay county west of state highway 32
along U.S. Highway 10 to the state line.
• In the shotgun zone (see map on the back of the large, deer zone
map, available separately), deer hunters may use only legal shotguns
loaded with single-slug shotgun shells, legal muzzleloading long guns,
or legal handguns.
Quote:
• the muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the
breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);
• the smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and
• the rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;
• muzzleloaders with scopes are legal during the regular firearms deer seasons,
but are not allowed during the muzzleloader season except by special
permit for hunters with a medically certified visual impairment (see
muzzleloader information below).
Quote:
• Big game may be taken statewide with firearms, including handguns and
muzzleloaders that meet the definition of legal firearms(See page 57).

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

The rationale of the tree stand is you shoot at the ground so the bullet won't go a mile beyond the deer.

In the shotgun zone you can use any muzzeloader or legal pistol. With the muzzeloader you can't do a second shot quickly. A Thompson Contender shoots rifle cartridges and reloads faster. I have not tried it though.

One of our party lost a deer with a muzzeloader. It was down right at dark and when she went to cut the throat it jumped up and ran off. If she had waited to reload, the same thing would have happened.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
A Thompson Contender shoots rifle cartridges and reloads faster. I have not tried it though.

I know people who use the TC and a Savage Stryker in the slug zone. Using the handgun rules. Is that truly okay in the regs? They are using .243 and .308 cartridges and scopes and hold 2" groups at 150 yards off the bench. What a phenomenal advantage that is. But the regs show permitted handgun cartridges, these are not on the list. What is the logic that is used to justify them?

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:28 pm 

KonaSeven wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:
A Thompson Contender shoots rifle cartridges and reloads faster. I have not tried it though.

I know people who use the TC and a Savage Stryker in the slug zone. Using the handgun rules. Is that truly okay in the regs? They are using .243 and .308 cartridges and scopes and hold 2" groups at 150 yards off the bench. What a phenomenal advantage that is. But the regs show permitted handgun cartridges, these are not on the list. What is the logic that is used to justify them?

I cannot justify them just give an opinion, When the handgun rule was first adopted to the shotgun zone most handguns eithe .357 or 44 mag and limited range when T/C and Strykers became available they passed muster because they where pistols even thou they used rifle calibers. I have used my 15'' T/C in 7mm 08 to shoot Pdogs to 400yds its also effective on whitetails to the same ranges.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
Yes. Black powder or smokeless can be used during any firearms season. Smokeless has now been added to the muzzleloader only season as well. Scopes can be used during the regular season as well but not during muzzleloader only season.

I'll grab the sections;

Quote:
• In the shotgun zone (see map on the back of the large, deer zone
map, available separately), deer hunters may use only legal shotguns
loaded with single-slug shotgun shells, legal muzzleloading long guns,
or legal handguns.
Quote:
• the muzzleloader (long gun or handgun) used cannot be loaded at the
breech (muzzleloading revolvers are not legal for taking big game);
• the smooth-bore muzzleloader used is at least .45 caliber and
• the rifled muzzleloader used is at least .40 caliber;

Thanks....so just out of curiosity, any info or input as to why did they limit it to muzzle loaders (black powder) and not consider my 45/110 also a black powder gun.............

.ETA: Nevermind, I reread it and it says NO Breech Loaders too.............

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.