Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:20 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 New DNR regs are out 
 Post subject: New DNR regs are out
PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 6:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

Deer Hunting Section
Quote:
Deer hunting
• All firearm and all-season license hunters hunting in lottery deer areas must apply
by Sept. 6 for an either-sex permit if they are interested in taking an antlerless deer
during the firearm or muzzleloader season (see page 70).
• The bag limit for all-season license holders has been modified (see page 60).
• Leftover either-sex deer permits in lottery deer areas will be available first come,
first served starting at 5 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 15.
• Boundaries for deer areas in northwest Minnesota have been redrawn to better
reflect habitat type. While zones have not changed, the areas have been renumbered.
Refer to the large map prior to purchasing a deer license.
• Non-resident youth may purchase deer licenses for the resident youth fee
(see page 16).
• A venison donation program has been established (see page 59).
• The reciprocal nonresident archery deer license fee has been repealed.
• The ban on smokeless powder during the muzzleloader season has been repealed.
• Crossbows are legal for use during the firearm deer season by individuals possessing
a valid firearm deer license (see page 58).
• The deer season rifle zone has been modified to exclude that portion of Clay county
west of Highway 32 (see page 77).
• Deer areas 116, 126, and 127 are now open to late season archery and muzzleloader
deer hunting.
• A special deer area has been created in the northwest to facilitate deer harvest in
the bovine TB core area (see page 78).
• A special disease management permit that is valid only in the bovine TB core area
has been created.
• Eligible landowners no longer need to live on the property to obtain a free landowner
deer license (see page 66).

That is an interesting development. Perhaps a Savage smokeless powder muzzleloader moved to the top of my list.

Savage muzzleloader

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:07 pm 

Sorry to say it but IMHO I wish they would have done away with inlines and made it a primitive season. :oops: Having said that I hunt the muzzle loader season with a inline but looking to find a 54ca percussion. :shock:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:55 pm 
1911 tainted

Rem700 wrote:
Having said that I hunt the muzzle loader season with a inline but looking to find a 54ca percussion. :shock:

Why not a flintlock.

If I was to hunt a muzzle loading season, I would either go with a quality inline with scope to get the meat, or a flintlock to make it more of a challenge.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
Rem700 wrote:
Having said that I hunt the muzzle loader season with a inline but looking to find a 54ca percussion. :shock:

Why not a flintlock.

If I was to hunt a muzzle loading season, I would either go with a quality inline with scope to get the meat, or a flintlock to make it more of a challenge.

You can use a scope on a muzzleloader during regular deer season, however, during muzzleloader season it must be iron sights. (Fiber optic sites are okay.)

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:20 pm 
1911 tainted

KonaSeven wrote:
You can use a scope on a muzzleloader during regular deer season, however, during muzzleloader season it must be iron sights. (Fiber optic sites are okay.)

I guess I kinda gave it away that I don't hunt using a muzzleloader. :oops:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

cobb wrote:
KonaSeven wrote:

I guess I kinda gave it away that I don't hunt using a muzzleloader. :oops:

heh heh. Since they are legal in the slug zone for deer hunting I think they make an awesome alternative to a slug gun during any of the firearms seasons considering;
Quote:
the revolutionary AccuTrigger is a standard on the 10ML-II. This 50 caliber rifle with 209 primer ignition can deliver 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and produces velocities exceeding 2,300 fps. With more than 3,000 foot pounds of knock down energy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

The deer management area where our hunting land is located (178) changed from "Managed" to "Intensive" this year. That means last years 3 deer limit has gone up to 5.

Funny thing is we are seeing fewer deer this year than last. Still a lot of them but not as many roaming across our fields near dusk.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:04 pm 

heh heh. Since they are legal in the slug zone for deer hunting I think they make an awesome alternative to a slug gun during any of the firearms seasons considering;
Quote:
the revolutionary AccuTrigger is a standard on the 10ML-II. This 50 caliber rifle with 209 primer ignition can deliver 1 1/2" groups at 100 yards and produces velocities exceeding 2,300 fps. With more than 3,000 foot pounds of knock down energy
[/quote]

Makes one wonder how long it will be before they change things to useing a shotgun in the shotgun zones :?:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rem700 wrote:
Quote:

Makes one wonder how long it will be before they change things to useing a shotgun in the shotgun zones :?:

Yep, can't have too many three legged deer running around. I've heard so many stories out of the deer camps about guys trying to take those TV shots with there smooth bore shotgun shooting saboted slugs. (Bad combination)
The new generation of saboted slugs in the rifled barrels are a big step up in accuracy and performance beyond 75 yards.
I think a nice alternative could also be carbine rifles in pistol calibers. 357mag, 44 mag or the newer cannon rounds in a 20" lever gun would be sweet. They would pose less risk for penetrating through deep woods and hitting unknown things beyond than the older solid lead slugs. I proposed this to my local DNR office. About a month later I got an email from 2LT Ross Opsahl stating that it would have to go through the legislature.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:48 am 

Will changeing gun caliber requirements stop hunters from takeing shots that are iffy to start with I doubt it, I think it will just increase the range that those hunters will take a shot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

Rem700 wrote:
Will changeing gun caliber requirements stop hunters from takeing shots that are iffy to start with I doubt it, I think it will just increase the range that those hunters will take a shot.

Yeah, that's for sure. The rifle zone is no different for that matter for those folks. Once a deer is spotted they start slinging lead at it.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:46 am 
Longtime Regular

I live in the shotgun zone. My shotguns are accurate, but rifles would be much better, more fun, and would attract hunters who don't want to set up a shotgun.

The sabots probably have rifle range, the ballistics are like a 45/70 so I think there really is no greater danger.

The DNR wants more hunters, and I think allowing rifles would help. There was a proposal to allow rifles from tree stands, that would limit the range and satisfy the safety concerns.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:37 pm 

Dick Unger wrote:
I live in the shotgun zone. My shotguns are accurate, but rifles would be much better, more fun, and would attract hunters who don't want to set up a shotgun.

The sabots probably have rifle range, the ballistics are like a 45/70 so I think there really is no greater danger.

The DNR wants more hunters, and I think allowing rifles would help. There was a proposal to allow rifles from tree stands, that would limit the range and satisfy the safety concerns.

Whats the limit of a rifle fired out of a tree at a deer silhoueted on a rise at say 300-400yds

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rem700 wrote:
Whats the limit of a rifle fired out of a tree at a deer silhoueted on a rise at say 300-400yds

The dangerous range of the bullet fired. That shot is specifically covered in the FAS classes as a BAD and unsafe shot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Rem700 wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

If you miss, well, whatever the limit of that cartridge is. Personally I would not take that shot. This is stressed in the DNR FAS classes we do for new hunters. Will someone take that shot? Sure they will. Will someone shoot at rustling branches in the brush? Sure. Will someone shoot at a girl riding her horse? Yep.
If we limit the gun for everyone because of the actions of those folks mentioned in these examples, we will all be limited to sharpened sticks with the sharp end removed.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.