Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:46 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 AR10 .308 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:11 pm 
On time out

There is a reason rounds like the 30 30 and 35 rem and so on had such great followings, they Kill fast and efficiently, and they do not ruin a lot of meat.

I use a 300 savage, I find the 180 grainers work best because they are a bit slower. When you get the faster loads, its not uncommon to find a lot of bloodshot meat, lots of rib blown in to the shoulders etc. I find rounds like the 250 savage with 105's, 257's, 7mm x 57 and the like work well for the same reason. Now, one does pay with a bit of trajectory loss, but with most loads if you find the "sweet spot" you can sight in in such a way as to more or less rule that out as a problem.

For example, a 180 grain RN with a BC of .3 zeroed at 220 yards is only 7 inches low at 300 and is no more than 2.5 inches above line of sight anywhere from muzzle to 250 yards. Working this out with a ballistics calculator is pretty easy.

Stepping back and not meaning to step on any toes, going to any 300 magnum for white tail deer just seems overkill, and YES there is over kill, its destroying more meat, more noise, and more recoil than is needed.

There is no proof that any of the bigger cases kill any faster. I have shot and killed close to fifty deer, using .308's, 06's and 280's as well as a few custom wildcats, and none of them has dropped any faster than those show well with a .300 savage, a .35 remington, or even a .44 mag.

In fact the two fastest kills I have had have been with the .300 savage, both animals never did any thing but drop straight down from as the shot. Both were does, and neither ever moved an inch. The longest trail I have had to follow was a Ginormous buck that I shot exactly in the heart, with a very hot .280 with a 140 grain ballistic tip that went nearly a 1/2 mile with a big hole in one ventricle. How it did that I have no idea, but the post mortem revealed a nice hole in one chamber of the heart.

I would say most deer run between 25 and 75 yards, when shot with a heavy bullet, they tend to have exit wounds and leave very full and easy to follow blood trails. When shot with smaller rounds, with lighter bullets, they tend to not have blood trails, but die in about the same distance, the lack of the exit wound seems to be like putting your finger on the end of a straw full of water, without a vent, the blood cannot leave the body.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:11 am 

Does make some sense about the vent hole needing to be there. I have known and seen first hand those stupid ballistic tip rounds. They hardly ever get through. The deer run alot more being shot with those. I have only seen one ballistic tip leave an exit wound. That was out of a 7mm 08 could have just been luck but the moral of the story is don't buy ballistic tip rounds. I have been using the fusion round in my savage 300 wsm and i love them they leave a decent but not huge exit wound and drop the deer like a rock that is if a rock hit the ground kickin. They shoot real tight 3 round groups. I can easily stack rounds at 200yds. Other wise a sierra game kings by federal premium the boat tail soft points.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:04 am 
On time out

I shoot Nosler partitions now in almost any of the guns i use for game, for the cost, and the number of rounds actually used on deer, I find nothing better. I Like the way they work, I have only found one after shooting an animal with it, as all the rest exit the body. the one I did find was from a 6.5 swede, my daughter shot her deer with it and hit the right front shoulder with the bullet, the bullet shattered the shoulder and completely traversed the body until it hit the far left hip, shattered that and ended up just under the hide off the hamstring. so it managed to go thru nearly 4 foot of deer breaking two heavy bone centers and it was still 95 grains heavy. From a starting point of 120 grains, launched at about 2550 FPS, which from a Ruger No 1 is about the same recoil as a .22 LR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:35 am 

Noslers huh are those polymer tipped?? Have you every tried the fusion? If so what did you think? I am shooting 150gr fusion. I like them but have you heard anything bad about them. Thanks for your input

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

Nosler partitions are not polymer tipped. They have been around a long time and are one the most proven game rounds.

The Fusions look to be a great choice too. They are cheaper because they are bonded using a less expensive method. They seem to be a great value. My son started using them in his 270 last year after we found the 130gr rounds grouped less than an inch for him. He hasn't killed anything yet so I have no experience with performance, but everything I've read sounds great.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/federal_fusion_ammo.htm
http://www.gunsandhunting.com/fusion.html
http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/h ... ndex1.html

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:11 am 

I have killed game with them and i do like them but am curious about the noslers. But for the 300 wsm you can't get anything less then 165 i am shooting 150 fusions. I like the way they kill but it could just be the round
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hmm... yeah, I don't see anything less than the 165 gr Nosler Partitions either. And at $50+ a box! They were asking for them back in 2001. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_74033116

You might have to consider handloading.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:48 pm 

Yeah well fusions are doing well for me and they are only 30 a box so i think i am going to stick with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:43 am 

Gun Digest the Magazine had a write up on the AR-10 in .308. I can't remeber which issue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:26 am 
On time out

another reason to leave the magnums and short and supershort magnumbs alone, cost, a box of .308's in rem corelokt will cost you ten-twelve bucks around this time of year.

Early nosler polymer tipped bullets were known to be a bit fragile, not always giving the best performance on game. However, later versions have done quite well, I know a guy who used them this fall on moose from a .338 and on elk a year ago. he said they worked wonderfully.

Partitions are built like a "H", the top end is designed to expand and the cross member or partition is designed to stop the expansion and keep the aft portion of the bullet driving on thru. THey are not cheap, but even at 19 or 20 dollars a box of 50, they are well worth it when you figure what you spend a year on all the other hunting stuff.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.