Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Deer hunting, so who is shooting what? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:57 pm 

300 wsm and 357 s&w for close range back up

Post subject: Hunting
PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:29 pm 

1894 Winchester lever 32 special (pre 64). After the first deer, 44 mag, Desert Eagle, Scope and early 14 3/8 barrel (early procuction run).

de KA0OLD

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:56 am 

I'll be using my Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag and my son will be using my Rem 7600. I was able to get out to the range last week to check the sights. Here's a couple 3 shot groups from them using handloads with Nosler Ballistic Tips. 140 grain in the 7mm and 165s in the 30.06 7600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 6:25 pm 
Wise Elder

I'm hunting the fencelines, creeks, and woods between the fields in southern Minnesota, south of Rochester.

The last few years it's been a Colt Python in .357 magnum, factory iron sights. The other guys are bringing their slug guns, but we rearly take a shot further than 50 yards, so the Python is "just enuff gun."

Last deer I took with the Python was 22 paces away. Deer bolted about 10 paces, dropped like a stone.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:09 pm 

aofpol,
I assume that you took a chest shot right. What kind of bullets did you use this will be the first year i will be using my 357 for deer as back up. I am wondering what i should use thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:19 am 
Wise Elder

Yes, definately a good heart/lungs shot. For that particular deer, I missed the heart, destroyed one lung, and nicked the other lung. Both entry and exit wounds were found. A rib was broken on the way out.

The cartridge was a PMC Star-Fire; it's a 147 (?) grain hollow-point intended for self-defense. The reason I used it is because I grabbed the wrong box of ammo before packing up for deer season. I used what I had and it worked.

For back-up, what-ever's handy will probably work.

If .357 is your primary gun, then let me take this a step further and offer some suggestions and opinions.

-- For a .357, long range is out of the question, in my opinion. I would not take a shot at a deer further than 50 yards.

Now, that's with iron sights. If you use a 'scope, then you may get more distance.

But as I recall, that .357 bullet drops and looses energy fast beyond 50 yards. That bothers me.

-- Markmanship. Practice your marksmanship with your handgun. Every year, I make sure I can put 3 shots in 10 seconds on paper-plate target at 50 yards from a standing position using a two-handed hold.

-- I don't think the actual bullet makes much difference. Just something heavy that expands.

Right now, I've used PMC Star-Fire JHP with success, and I've also used a 158 grain JSP (jacketed soft point; exposed lead tip).

I would not consider those 110 or 125 grain bullets. I just don't think it's enuff.

-- Try different cartridges. All guns are picky about loads, but my Python is really, really picky. May be your handgun is too.

-- If I can't get a good side-on heart/lung shot, I pass up the deer.

The .357 is just enuff gun, but unlike a slug or a rifle, a wounded deer might live quite a while and move quite a distance. That's too much work.

-- Don't count on having a blood trail to track. Every deer we've taken with a .357 left no blood trail to speak of.

We're in a slug-gun zone, so we've much experience with slugs, and a slug always leaves a big exit hole, a mess, and a good blood trail to track.

With the .357, I've seen entry and exit wounds, and entry with no exit. That makes tracking a challenge.

-- That deer will bleed a lot; all internally. You'll have a real mess when you field dress that deer.

To sum up: If you're gonna hunt deer with a .357 magnum, think of it as bow hunting with a handgun. You get one good shot; make it count; and then it's all woodsmanship.

Al Fingulin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Al,

Thank you for the excellent post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:18 am 

Ruger Super Redhawk 454 Casull with Leapold 2X scope sighted to 100 meters. At that distance my pistol shoots 1" high at 50 meters dead on at 100 meters and 1" low at 150 meters.

I'll be hunting public land near Big Lake.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:48 pm 
On time out

I agree with you Al, but I do not like the .357 for deer unless its used ina carbine for just the reasons you spoke of. MOST people can not tell you distance at all in the woods, Unless they have pre marked out distances it is very hard for most people to gauge distances at all in hunting environments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:15 pm 

I definityly agree with 50 or under i think right now as i shoot probaly only like 30 or under. I am only going to use it if the deer is in close and i can hit a paper plat with 3 shot groups not tight by any means but good enough for deer hunting. I would like to shoot something with it just for the sake of i can. definityly an informing post. I bow hunt as well so i am a petty good judge of distance. It does take some practice getting used to judgeing distance i agree with that. You must be hunting sandune state forest than mike. I live in big lake so i know it really well.
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:19 pm 
on probation

Sorry, Takes me awhile to catch up. Season's over- score- me 2 deer 0. I hunt with a Taurus 608 83/8" .357 magnum. This year I used Buffalo Bore 180 gr. Hard Cast Lead-gas-checked cartridges. First deer- 115 yards- did not aim high or low. Pulled the trigger and she dropped in a heap. Shot her high-just behind her right shoulder. Lungs were blood pudding. Bullet went through and through. After she went down, I saw movement and realized there were two does-not just one. Put the sights on her, pulled the trigger and she collapsed. Shot her at about 100 yards. Quartering shot- in right-front shoulder and found bullet in left-hind quarter just under hide. First year using Buffalo Bore ammo and have never seen anything like it!!! Both deer appeared to be electrocuted when that bullet hit them-they just shuddered and dropped in their tracks. When you pull the trigger it feels more like a .44 mag. 1489 chronographed at 15 ft. from muzzle. Tremendous energy!

N. D. Concealed Weapons Test Administrator
MN. MCPPA CSI Instructor
Scott D. Olson
Alexandria, Mn.
www.shootingsportsoutlet.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:26 am 
Longtime Regular

windbreak wrote:
Sorry, Takes me awhile to catch up. Season's over- score- me 2 deer 0. I hunt with a Taurus 608 83/8" .357 magnum. This year I used Buffalo Bore 180 gr. Hard Cast Lead-gas-checked cartridges. First deer- 115 yards- did not aim high or low. Pulled the trigger and she dropped in a heap. Shot her high-just behind her right shoulder. Lungs were blood pudding. Bullet went through and through. After she went down, I saw movement and realized there were two does-not just one. Put the sights on her, pulled the trigger and she collapsed. Shot her at about 100 yards. Quartering shot- in right-front shoulder and found bullet in left-hind quarter just under hide. First year using Buffalo Bore ammo and have never seen anything like it!!! Both deer appeared to be electrocuted when that bullet hit them-they just shuddered and dropped in their tracks. When you pull the trigger it feels more like a .44 mag. 1489 chronographed at 15 ft. from muzzle. Tremendous energy!

Interesting... I steer away from hard-cast as I want some expansion for deer - even if I don't hit bone. My bear loads are hard cast though as I'm hoping for a bone hit and want continued penatration - all the way through to the other side.

Did both shots contact bone on the entry side?, exit side or both?

Generally I load my 44 with soft points or hollow points when deer hunting.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:14 am 
on probation

Only the quartering shot hit bone-front shoulder, ribs, hind quarter-made a real mess. The first shot was broadside-no bone but completly turned her lungs to liquid. I am probably going back to Winchester partion gold in 180 gr. hollow point next year. Save the Buffalo Bore for bear.

MN. MCPPA CSI Instructor
Scott D. Olson
Alexandria, Mn.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:47 pm 
Wise Elder

Hmmmm. Very interesting, Windbreak. I think that 8 inch barrel helps a great deal. My .357 revolver is 6 inches.

And now I've an incentive to work up a load with those 180 gr Sierra jacketed softpoints that have been sitting on my loading bench for the last few years.

Thank you, Windbreak!

Al Fingulin

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:29 pm 
on probation

The 8 3/8 inch barrel makes a huge difference. The barrel is also ported and is very controllable. I think the ammo is the big difference. I have never pulled the trigger on such a hot load in .357. Apparently, it's the powder and the gas-checking. I don't know much about these things but can sure tell somethings different when the gun is fired. I would not recommend firing Buffalo Bore in an older revolver and definetly not in anything other than all steel.

MN. MCPPA CSI Instructor
Scott D. Olson
Alexandria, Mn.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.