Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 carry in the woods 
 Post subject: carry in the woods
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:13 pm 

someone told me that if you are carrying a hand gun for deer hunting that it has to be cased and unloaded. But if you are carrying for protection you can have it on you loaded. What happens if you are using the gun for dual puposes and have a primary like a rifle or something is that the same thing as using it for deer hunting??
thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

When carrying a handgun for deer hunting, or even target shooting in the woods you do not need a carry permit.
There is an issue when you approach camping areas or other habitated areas without a permit where you have to unload and/or encase. With your permit you do not have to unload.

Quote:
Handguns
Persons age 18 or older may carry a handgun in the woods and
fields or upon waters to hunt or target shoot. Persons under age 18
may carry handguns for hunting if in the actual presence or under the
direct supervision of the person’s parent or guardian, and if they meet
firearms safety requirements (see page 20). A person may not carry a
handgun
while bowhunting except a person may take bear by archery
while in possession of a firearm. Questions
regarding
handguns
should be directed
to local law enforcement
authorities.
[/url]

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:37 am 
Longtime Regular

If you have a carry permit, you are allowed to carry a loaded handgun while you are hunting, including if you are planning on hunting with the handgun and if you are driving.

According to the DNR Information Consultant, you can carry while driving down the road, see a deer, get out of the car and off of the public easement, and shoot the deer with your handgun.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:46 am 
Longtime Regular

Ok - then why is it not ok to have a loaded long arm in the car, see a deer, exit the vehicle, get off the roadway and shoot the deer? The Permit law does not dicern a difference between hand guns and long guns.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

The DNR regs do recognize a difference between long guns and handguns.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:07 am 
Delicate Flower

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Ok - then why is it not ok to have a loaded long arm in the car, see a deer, exit the vehicle, get off the roadway and shoot the deer? The Permit law does not dicern a difference between hand guns and long guns.

Mostly-

The permit law does not address the issue of long guns .........only pistols

Quote:
Subd. 1a. Permit required; penalty. A person, other than a peace officer, as defined in section 626.84, subdivision 1, who carries, holds, or possesses a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile, or boat, or on or about the person's clothes or the person, or otherwise in possession or control in a public place, as defined in section 624.7181, subdivision 1, paragraph (c), without first having obtained a permit to carry the pistol is guilty of a gross misdemeanor. A person who is convicted a second or subsequent time is guilty of a felony.

(c) A permit to carry a pistol issued or recognized under this section is a state permit and is effective throughout the state.

Subd. 2a. Training in the safe use of a pistol.
(a) An applicant must present evidence that the applicant received training in the safe use of a pistol within one year of the date of an original or renewal application. Training may be demonstrated by:
(1) employment as a peace officer in the state of Minnesota within the past year; or
(2) completion of a firearms safety or training course providing basic training in the safe use of a pistol and conducted by a certified instructor.
(b) Basic training must include:
(1) instruction in the fundamentals of pistol use;
(2) successful completion of an actual shooting qualification exercise; and
(3) instruction in the fundamental legal aspects of pistol possession, carry, and use, including self-defense and the restrictions on the use of deadly force.

(c) A permit to carry a pistol issued under this section expires five years after the date of issue. It may be renewed in the same manner and under the same criteria which the original permit was obtained, subject to the following procedures:

Subd. 9. Carrying pistols about one's premises or for purposes of repair, target practice. A permit to carry is not required of a person:
(a) to keep or carry about the person's place of business, dwelling house, premises or on land possessed by the person a pistol;
(b) to carry a pistol from a place of purchase to the person's dwelling house or place of business, or from the person's dwelling house or place of business to or from a place where repairing is done, to have the pistol repaired;
(c) to carry a pistol between the person's dwelling house and place of business;
(d) to carry a pistol in the woods or fields or upon the waters of this state for the purpose of hunting or of target shooting in a safe area; or
(e) to transport a pistol in a motor vehicle, snowmobile or boat if the pistol is unloaded, contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, or securely tied package.

Subd. 11. No limit on number of pistols. A person shall not be restricted as to the number of pistols the person may carry.

Subd. 15. Commissioner; contracts; database.
(a) The commissioner must maintain an automated database of persons authorized to carry pistols under this section that is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week, only to law enforcement agencies, including prosecutors carrying out their duties under subdivision 8a, to verify the validity of a permit

No long gun references.........

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:21 am 
Delicate Flower

Mostly-

You are confusing the permit statute with 624.7181 (rifles/shotguns in Public Places) While it states an exception to carry if you are a permit holder I would venture to say it would cost you a large sum of money to correct.
Carrying for hunting falls under the DNR.

How much justice can you afford ?

The place to educate LE is not on the side of the road.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

The point that I'm trying to make is the advantage afforded a permit holder when hunting with a pistol. The same hunting gun suddenly becomes a carry gun when one climbs onto an ATV or into a car. The requirement to unload and case is removed.

There was a big discussion back awhile that I found and cleared up my aging memory... :wink:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yeah, it unfortunate that guns have to be unloaded and casesd many times a day. That's when accidents happen.

You still can't shoot game from a vehicle, it should not affect hunting.
And for protection, if I COULD physically carry a rifle, (as in a vehicle) it would be lots better than a handgun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:17 pm 
Delicate Flower

The point that I'm trying to make is the advantage afforded a permit holder when hunting with a pistol. The same hunting gun suddenly becomes a carry gun when one climbs onto an ATV or into a car. The requirement to unload and case is removed.

There was a big discussion back awhile that I found and cleared up my aging memory... :wink:

Mostly-

Aahhhhhh.......... but is a 4 or 6 inch barrel really an advantage over a long gun in that situation :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 6:54 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:

Mostly-

Aahhhhhh.......... but is a 4 or 6 inch barrel really an advantage over a long gun in that situation :?

Huge Advantage. I can hop off my moving ATV (on a trail) pull my pistol from its holster and fire at a fleeing deer in much less time then required to perform the same hop, uncase and load my long gun - although it can be done. There is no limit on barrel length to qualify as "pistol" :lol:

Mostly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:26 am 
Delicate Flower

like this

http://www.modelguns.co.uk/images/Buntl8.jpg

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Yes - I took a second to try to find an image about which I speak - but alas - I am at work and they expect that sometimes I actually do just that... :roll:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:29 pm 

so can you carry on fourwheeler or not?? I am confused again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
so can you carry on fourwheeler or not?? I am confused again.

Handgun with a permit, yes. Loaded long gun, no.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.