Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Can't sleep 
 Post subject: Can't sleep
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:43 pm 

I can't sleep anymore to excited for the hunting season just a couple of days away i can't take it anymore. I am ready to shoot something who is with me???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:03 pm 
On time out

Ok, take some deep breaths, walk around, and RELAX.

First of all, the hunt should be about everything, not just killing, and the killing part is not the be all end all.

getting so jacked about hunting you can not sleep is a good way to get buck fever when the first sound of footsteps echo's thru the woods.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:27 am 

I'm with ya gooseman!

I hope I see a deer, but no big deal if I don't. I'm mostly looking forward to just getting away, enjoying the outdoors (looks like some nice weather this weekend!), and enjoying the company of my fellow hunters (we will have 14 guys in our camp this year, ranging in age from 14 to 80).

Plus having a "few" beers and winning some $$ in poker as well...I love deer camp and the week leading up to it seems to be the longest week every year!

Good luck this weekend hunters! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:41 am 
The Man

It is, I think, the whole package. While I find myself looking back and enjoying the rest of the whole thing more than the few minutes before and after shooting, I do notice that basically all of the experience except for the deer hunting is reproducible throughout the year, but far too many folks (me, included) don't make time to make it happen throughout the year.

Which is kind of strange. Other than the actual hunting the deer part -- you know: standing stock still in a stand freezing your nuts off for a couple of hours? -- the whole experience is a lot of fun. But most of us don't make it a point to get together and head out into the woods and nail a few woodchucks all that often, even though it's much easier to do.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 am 

Being older than dirt and retired I get out at least twice a week or more. Can't say I get too excited about deer even though I always get a tag. Never developed a taste for venison and probably won't at this stage of the game.

But I love being out, by myself, in the woods. Varmints mostly, but I do chase birds on occasion. Tree rats with the .22 are always fun.

Have been invited to join deer and elk hunts over the years but have always declined because the whole party thing leaves me looking for the exit. I had a CO tell me once that I should always have a buddy along in case of an accident. But if it's my time to go, I cannot imagine a better place to be.

But then, I'm a cranky old fart...

To expect bad men not to do wrong is madness, for he who expects this desires an impossiblity. But to allow men to behave so to others and expect them not to do thee any wrong is irrational and tyranical. Marcus Aurelius

I won't mind if you call me a racist. And I'm sure YOU won't mind if I call you a target of opportunity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:06 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll be heading out Saturday to go pheasant hunting in South Dakota, then coming home late Wednesday to drop off the birds and switch the shotgun out for a rifle, then off to deer hunt for the rest of the week.

It will be a very good week!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:00 am 

I do agree it is alot about getting together with the guys and shot the stuff. I do enjoy shooting animals. but i love to eat deer alot to and use it to make brats and do all the processing myself me and my wife have a great time sitting down grinding meet and stuffing brats. I do aree with you joel about that we don't get together and recreate the times often enough we should all make more time for that with our groups.
Yeah i know i am totally gonna miss the first one i am so excited hopefully i see another hahaha.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:35 am 
Longtime Regular

I look forward to opening day more than any day of the year. It's like Christmas with guns!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

I still look forward to the deer opener. I don't really care that much if I get a deer or not although I usually do. My wife and I process our own deer and that chore is one I like less and less as the years go by.

We both like venison and one deer only lasts a few months. I've got 3 tags but I usually don't take more than 2 since that is about the right amount of meat for us.

When I was a young guy, not getting a deer was depressing. These days the companionship of my son in-law and grandson in deer camp mean more than getting a deer. It's nice just sitting in your stand, on your own land and enjoying the scenery.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:31 pm 

Ramoel wrote:
It's nice just sitting in your stand, on your own land and enjoying the scenery.

+1 there. That might be the part that I enjoy most....it's so peaceful and relaxing to just sit quietly in the forest and watch the sun rise and all the little critters come out of their hiding spots. I've seen so many different animals while patiently waiting for a deer to present itself.

Last year I had a little bird land on the barrel of my rifle. I sat perfectly still and I swear it didn't even know I was there. Later on, a small black bear came by...now THAT was cool!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

Last year I saw a gray fox and my son and I almost had a barred owl land on the stand while we were in it. Came right at us.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:03 pm 

Good luck hunting everyone i am up at my spot and awaiting morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 4:28 pm 
Longtime Regular

I expect to see pictures from everyone when I get back from pheasant and deer hunting next week. I'll post mine as well.

From a previous year:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:32 am 
Longtime Regular

gooseman wrote:
Good luck hunting everyone i am up at my spot and awaiting morning.

You have an internet connection in your stand! :shock: :shock:

Wow... I'm happy for a log to sit on - some people make things sooo technical... :roll: :lol:

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:28 am 

I hope the weather holds out this weekend. Weather.com is saying rain up north all week. Its much easier to hear deer walking in if the leaves are dry.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.