Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:45 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Handgun during Muzzleloader season 
 Post subject: Handgun during Muzzleloader season
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

I can find no particular restrictions about carrying a handgun during muzzleloader season in the DNR regs. (As in most bowhunting situations.) However, it would appear they are not approved for taking game during muzzleloader season, is that correct?

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:40 am 
1911 tainted

Muzzleloading deer season is for muzzleloaders. You can carry a handgun under the conditions of your permit and if you have the appropriate licenses, take a rabbit, fox and other legal game with your handgun during the Minnesota muzzleloading deer season, you can't take a deer.

Years ago I had talked the DNR about the use of a muzzleloading handgun for the season. At that time, if I remember right, there was a minimum caliber restriction of .45, besides it being a pretty anemic as far as power goes.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am 
Longtime Regular

Thanks, Cobb. That's how I read it, but you can never be sure just reading the handbook.

Probably no need to have the Super Blackhawk hanging from my waist then!
I'll strap on something a bit easier to carry all day. :D

hmmm, the CZ52 comes to mind.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:42 am 

You can use a muzzleloading handgun for muzzleloading season. As Cobb states, there is a minimum caliber (.40 for rifled barrels and .45 for smooth bore). It also must be loaded from the muzzle. Cap and ball pistols are not legal, no matter the caliber.

As far as power goes, Thompson Center Custom Shop makes a 15" .50 barrel with 209 ignition for the G2 Contender or Encore that is a sure 100 yard killer with 2 50gr pellets. Although I would probably limit my shots to 50 yards or so due to the shorter sight radius that iron sights on a 15" barrel provides. YMMV.

David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:24 pm 

you also can't use muzzleloading revolvers either from what i read

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.