Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Muzzle Loader Season 
 Post subject: Muzzle Loader Season
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:38 pm 

Anyone know where I can pick up a decent used one cheap?
Thanks,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:04 pm 

What no muzzleloader hunters out there with at least a recomendation and model etc?
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:54 am 

I shoot a 54 cal Thompson Center New Englander. It's an old fashion, but not period correct caplock. I use real black powder and shoot patched round ball. However, the barrel is a 1/48 twist which allows me to shoot mini-ball type rounds as well. It won't shoot sabots accurately.

Most people use inlines. They come in a host of styles. Most of these have a 1/28 twist barrel which make them only good for sabots. Inlines are safer in that they usually have a safety like a cartridge rifle. Most are 50 cal.

Inlines usually have a bolt that opens up to put the cap in. Some are break open like a single shot shotgun. Easier to get the primer in and out. Today most are rigged for a 209 primer although some still use a #10 or #11 cap. Most come with a removable breech plug which allows you to remove the plug and run the barrel in the shower (when the wife is not arround).

Blued guns are cheaper than stainless steel, but for an inline I'd get a stainless steel gun.

My current hunting/fishing partner has a Kahnke(?) that looks similar to a Winchester 94. You cock the hammer to put in the cap and it has a cross-bolt hammer block. When it's engaged and the hammer falls the bolt blocks the hammer from striking the cap.

I prefer a wooden or composite ramrod with brass accessories. I don't like steel as it scratches the barrel.

You can even get a muzzleloading barrel set up for your 870 shotgun.

Gander and Cabellas are you're best choice. Pawn shops will have some as well. I'm guessing $200 - $250 will get you a basic inline. Minnesota requires iron sights for muzzle loader season, but you can put on fibre optic which are nice.

Doing this last minute to take advantage of this year's ML deer season is not the way to go. You need to do a little research and find what you like. Muzzleloading has really taken off lately to the joy of some and the consternation of others. With the increased popularity has come a host of new products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:03 pm 
Forum Moderator

You could try my latest, but the game warden may freak!

http://i6.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/c1/ec/8cd4_1.JPG

It shoots 1 lb lead ball, or a golf ball if you don't shoot it at anything hard for it to bounce back.

Should be legal, if not very practical!

There is also this....

http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

Greg wrote:

Hmm I think Selurcspi had a link for how to move that thing through the woods.

Being that my Uncle told me that when he shoots rabbits with his black powder pistol (at 20 or so yards) there isn't much left of the rabbit, one wonders if there would be much left of the deer with the above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:07 pm 
Forum Moderator

someone1980 wrote:
Greg wrote:

Hmm I think Selurcspi had a link for how to move that thing through the woods.

I'm glad I don't have to do anything quite that brutal! This one only weighs 95 lbs.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.