Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 changes to deer hunting regs 
 Post subject: changes to deer hunting regs
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:52 pm 

hey guys, the DNR is considering making some changes to deer hunting. Some of the changes are making the .223 legal for deer and dong away with the All Season license and allowing us to buy an archery, regular firearms, muzzloader, or any combination of the three. There is also a proposed change in the deer zones. Check out the DNR website for more info and also times and places for public input meetings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:48 am 
Longtime Regular

Ugh .223. :roll: They made the .30 Carbine legal a couple years ago, too.

I guess I could see it if they mandated bullet weights and expanding bullets. I can just see some jackass out there with his AR loaded up with 40gr varmint grenades.

Hell, I busted my father in law with varmint bullets in his .243 going out to hunt deer. Perfectly legal, but stupid.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:47 pm 

I agree with a bullet weight requirement and wrote the DNR about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:52 pm 
On time out

Even with bullet weight, unless it is something like a .22 cal nosler partition, its not going to do the job well. Heck a .243 with 80 grainers is the same thing, they are bullets for yotes not for deer. Its construction as well as weight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

The world will be better politically if black rifles are DEER rifles. Right now the Fudds think nobody needs a black gun.

An AR would be a perfect fit for a child to shoot a doe at 50 yards or for an expert at a longer range.

Lets get these "assault weapons" in the woods and in rural sporting goods stores in Minnesota, so they don't get banned.

I going to send a positive comment to the DNR for the .223 for deer. I don't own one yet and probably will always hunt with a 30, because it's hard to follow a blood trail at 5.00PM. But people should shoot what they like. We've got enough laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

The .223 has been legal for deer in WI for many years. I haven't heard of any problems caused by it.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:00 am 
Longtime Regular

What is the status on these changes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:30 pm 
On time out

Ramoel, just sit in the bars and restaurants during dear season in Wisc and listed to the stories about how many people shoot deer with a couple of pencil sized holes in them, or the guy who shot his deer 7 times with a .223 and you will change your mind.

Last deer season over by marshfield, we saw two guys deer hunting with AR's, both had multiple shots at deer, both hit deer a couple times or more, and yet they only collected one.

The holes are so small that like a .243 they leave hardly any bloodtrail to follow, finding good deer hunting bullets for the .223 is very hard, only two companies, black hills and Nosler load good big game bullets for the cartridge and .223 rem does not drive them hard enough to penetrate like they should to get good clean kills, In a 22.-250 I might be persuaded to allow it, but after what I have seen, I would prefer it if the law went up and said 6mm/243 and smaller are NOT allowed, JMHO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan, interesting information. I'm a WI native and hunted deer there for many years. I knew the .223 was legal but I never knew anyone that used one for deer hunting and so I never heard about any problems. I left there in 1985 when I was transferred to MN. I think the .223 wasn't as popular back then as it is today.

It figures that the little .22 bullet wouldn't be a great deer killer unless you had precise bullet placement. I usually used a 30-06.

I was surprised when I read that MN was considering making the .223 legal. From reading the DNR web site I believe their rationale is simplification of the hunting regulations, not deciding that the .223 is a great cartridge.

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
Ramoel, just sit in the bars and restaurants during dear season in Wisc and listed to the stories about how many people shoot deer with a couple of pencil sized holes in them, or the guy who shot his deer 7 times with a .223 and you will change your mind.

Last deer season over by marshfield, we saw two guys deer hunting with AR's, both had multiple shots at deer, both hit deer a couple times or more, and yet they only collected one.

The holes are so small that like a .243 they leave hardly any bloodtrail to follow, finding good deer hunting bullets for the .223 is very hard, only two companies, black hills and Nosler load good big game bullets for the cartridge and .223 rem does not drive them hard enough to penetrate like they should to get good clean kills, In a 22.-250 I might be persuaded to allow it, but after what I have seen, I would prefer it if the law went up and said 6mm/243 and smaller are NOT allowed, JMHO.

Followed enough deer shot with a .338 or .300 win mag too that were never found, or someone else shot later.

It's about placement in deer as well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:16 pm 

If you can't handle a 20 gauge or a 30-30, maybe you should be participating by cooking a meal for the hunter/gatherer types when they get home with the catch, and gutting/cleaning/packaging the big game. Hunt wabbits with the pea shooters.

The DNR is just like all the rest of our government agencies... they are overstaffed, bored, and nit picking for new ways to legislate and regulate. Hunting is dying along with gun rights. In the last 15 years I've lost interest in trying to wade through all the rules, regulations, costs, lack of land to hunt, and prejudices that accompany the sport. Even deer hunting on my own property has become a pain in the rear end - I have about 1 good shooting lane... otherwise within a mile or so there is something I don't want as a backstop. Game farms will be the best we'll be able to do.

Other than that, I really like the DNR and think it should survive well into 2009 or 2010.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:10 am 

As of July 1 2008, .220 bore diameter centerfire cartridges are legal for deer hunting.
Over here on White Earth Reservation the boys(and girls) have been using 223,22/250, and 222rem on deer since tribal seasons were adopted.

My family hunts my inlaws land in North Carolina(six deer a season) and South Carolina(one deer per day for the season is your limit,no such thing as a deer tag) where 22caliber rifles are legal as is buckshot and tracking dogs for game.

Difference being that a deer down there is weighed at the meat market with the guts still in( :oops: )and they are thrilled about a 150-180lb buck!
My first time hunting with them they were mortified that I left a "gut-pile" in the woods!
Ten-point buck(142 score)weighed 117lbs dressed out.

The does are like shooting chessies or big lab's.

I've taken deer down there with my Remington 788 222rem with 50grain SP,Ruger 77V 22/250 with 60grain HP and with Bushmaster AR-15A2/Bushmaster CAR-15A2 using
69grain HPBT Match/55grain SP/60grain Partition/64grain Power-Point.
I've never lost a deer but have double-tapped a few with my AR's that were getting up after being hit.

We get a bunch of "shooters" during deer season who grab their rifle and hit the woods each year that make poor shot's and worse hits with very capable rifles that still lose deer.

I see this part of the change to the reg's as being a very small impact.

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:34 am 
Longtime Regular

The "legal caliber" laws were intended to protect the sporting good industry from the cheap $20 carbines available after WWII. To guard against wounded deer, they'd have to have us pass a marksmanship test.

Your 12 year old will do better with your varmint rifle than with your old 30.06. It's a good change.

And one less law.

At a recent DNR meeting, some Western MN farmers worried that the neighbor's kids, who normally hunt by shooting out of racing pickup trucks, would spray too many stray bullets if they used their AR15's, especially in the afternoon, when they also drink beer. It's hard to shoot safely when you're drunk, and also driving a jacked up bouncing stick shift truck, and holding a beer and a cigarette.

For that hunting application, an AR is easier to shoot than a 300 Mag, the number of hits outweighs the lack of penetration. When the deer slow up, they just can get them with the truck. Soon, we'll have to outlaw light weight trucks for hunting.......

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.