Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:38 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Editorial: Ban on lead bullets appears all but inevitable 
 Post subject: Editorial: Ban on lead bullets appears all but inevitable
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 pm 

http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager ... 2&a=348052

6/18/2008 11:55:02 AM
Comments (0)

This month officials from seven Midwestern states gathered in Bloomington to discuss a topic that will only become hotter as November approaches.

No, not the election -- the use of lead bullets by deer hunters.

At issue is the fact that lead bullet fragments were discovered in venison that was to be distributed by food shelves in Minnesota and North Dakota. Within days, thousands of pounds of hunter-donated venison was pulled off the shelves, including 7,000 pounds in Rochester, and a nationwide debate began about whether hunters have been poisoning themselves and their families for years by eating big-game animals that were killed by lead bullets.

Currently, the best answer to that question appears to be, "Not as far as we know."

That's not good enough, of course. Before hunters take to the fields and woods five months from now, they'll need to know a lot more about what happens to a bullet when it hits a deer -- and what could happen to the people who eat that deer.

And presumably, they will know more. The Minnesota Department of Natural Resources will conduct tests this summer to determine how much lead is dispersed in a deer through bullet fragments when it is shot, and North Dakota is doing blood tests on 700 people -- some who eat venison, some who don't -- to determine if lead bullets have caused an increase in their lead levels.

Meanwhile, the experts had some interesting ideas about how hunters could shoot deer more "carefully," and how meat processors might examine venison closely to make sure no microscopic bullet fragments end up on the dinner table.

These far-from-practical suggestions will sound even more far-fetched if North Dakota discovers increased lead levels in people who eat wild game. If that happens, then all forms of lead ammunition should be and will be banned. It's that simple. Ammunition manufacturers will complain, but they'll also scramble to provide non-toxic substitutes. These bullets will cost more, but an extra $15 for a box of copper bullets won't keep many hunters home.

Even if the blood tests turn out just fine for everyone concerned, a ban on lead ammunition appears inevitable. We know that lead is toxic, that it poisons birds and is particularly dangerous if ingested by young children. And we suspect that Minnesota's venison donation program won't happen again as long as lead bullets are legal for use by deer hunters. If state health and agriculture officials can't guarantee a food's safety, that product won't be distributed by food shelves.

This situation is a tough blow to hunters and Minnesota's economically important hunting industry, which is struggling to recruit new participants. The venison-donation program was supposed to bring good publicity for hunting, but it was cut off at the knees in its very first year. The only way to get it going again soon will be for hunters to demand non-toxic bullets now, rather than later.

Meanwhile, the owner of a butcher shop in Hillman, east of Little Falls, didn't help matters by saying "I think they're making something out of nothing. There's no way you can get all the lead out of venison."

With friends like this, the ammunition industry doesn't need enemies.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hagberg's in Stillwater does a great job of getting all the lead out of my venison.

Who comes up with this shit, and why the hell are we paying them?

(ETA to add website.)

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Currently, the best answer to that question appears to be, "Not as far as we know."

If we haven't seen a problem, after 500 years of hunting deer with lead bullets, we most likely aren't going to.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

Of course now I can't find the article I wanted to repost. It had a great quote by a high level DNR official hidden in the middle of the "story". The quote was something along the lines of "We have never had a problem with lead poisoning. Ever".

Why this is an issue and why the meat was pulled is beyond me. Actually I am willing to bet that it has to do with someone in a position of power being improperly educated about how lead poising happens and either trying to CYA or show that they "Did SOMETHING to Help You".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

http://www.minnpost.com/community_voice ... ive#5-2232

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
As the DNR has acknowledged, they are unaware of so much as a single case of even mild lead poisoning stemming from consumption of venison.

There we go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Actually I am willing to bet that it has to do with someone in a position of power being improperly educated

Last edited by DeanC on Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:33 pm 
On time out

I was going to offer up my cousins, who have not bought meat at a store in some years, between venison, antelope, elk, bear and boar, I am willing to bet Sheilla has never had store bought meat out side of the rare trip to the arch's when they visit.

They live in Idaho, and every thing they eat they grow or kill.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Ah a Senator. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Sen. Chaudhary: More study needed before banning lead shot in Minnesota

Date: April 15, 2008

State Sen. Satveer Chaudhary, DFL-Fridley, the chair of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee, said that further study is needed before the governor and DNR Commissioner Holsten’s proposal to ban lead shot moves forward in Minnesota. Sen. Chaudhary offered an amendment to remove the DNR proposal from his Omnibus Environment Policy Bill (S.F. 3385), which passed on a voice vote. Chaudhary’s amendment also instructs the DNR to study the matter in further detail before implementation of a ban.

“The evidence I’ve seen relating to lead shot primarily addresses wetlands and waterfowl, but not much on upland game,” said Sen. Chaudhary. “There is fair indication that toxic shot does affect some animals, but before we make this big decision, we need to study specific impacts on upland game, such as pheasant, grouse and rabbits. The DNR’s proposal has not considered these impacts, let alone impacts on the land itself, the economic impact, disposal of unused shells, whether tungsten and bismuth aren’t equally harmful, and the time needed for some hunters to get new guns.” He further noted that the administration’s bill did not coincide with the DNR’s own 2006 Nontoxic Shot Advisory Committee Report.

Sen. Chaudhary made it clear that he supports the ban on toxic shot for waterfowl and managed dove fields, since many studies have shown harmful effects, but said that studies on specific upland game, such as pheasants, grouse and rabbits are sparse. “I was led to believe this homework was done. Not to mention what effect a ban might have on the thousands of Minnesota jobs that deal directly and indirectly with outdoor industries.” He noted that Federal Cartridge in Anoka employs roughly one thousand people, and more than one-fourth of those jobs are directly related to the production and distribution of lead shot ammunition.

Sen. Chaudhary said, “When we are considering a big change like this, it’s fair to pause and make sure our information is on point. I was under the impression that the ‘experts’ in the DNR had done this.”

For more information on Sen. Chaudhary’s position on the proposed lead shot ban, contact his State Capitol office at 651-296-4334.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:28 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
further study is needed before the governor and DNR Commissioner Holsten’s proposal to ban lead shot moves forward in Minnesota.

I am not aware of this proposal. Is anyone else? Source?

There's this. But it is not a proposal to ban lead shot.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:32 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Quote:
Sen. Chaudhary: More study needed before banning lead shot in Minnesota

Date: April 15, 2008

State Sen. Satveer Chaudhary, DFL-Fridley, the chair of the Senate Environment and Natural Resources Committee, said that further study is needed before the governor and DNR Commissioner Holsten’s proposal to ban lead shot moves forward in Minnesota. Sen. Chaudhary offered an amendment to remove the DNR proposal from his Omnibus Environment Policy Bill (S.F. 3385), which passed on a voice vote. Chaudhary’s amendment also instructs the DNR to study the matter in further detail before implementation of a ban.

Wait a second. The Democrat Senator sounds like he has his stuff together, as opposed to the Republican governor and DNR Commissioner. Am I reading that properly?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:00 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:
Wait a second. The Democrat Senator sounds like he has his stuff together, as opposed to the Republican governor and DNR Commissioner. Am I reading that properly?

If all you did was disagree with Pawlenty you would be right most of the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:13 am 
Longtime Regular

someone1980 wrote:

You are reading it the way it is written, but methinks he doth protest too much.

I do not recall any such proposal by Pawlenty and the DNR commissioner.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Editorial: Ban on lead bullets appears all but inevitabl
PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:29 am 

dismal wrote:
http://www.postbulletin.com/newsmanager/templates/localnews_story.asp?z=12&a=348052

6/18/2008 11:55:02 AM
Comments (0)

No, not the election -- the use of lead bullets by deer hunters.

At issue is the fact that lead bullet fragments were discovered in venison that was to be distributed by food shelves in Minnesota and North Dakota. Within days, thousands of pounds of hunter-donated venison was pulled off the shelves, including 7,000 pounds in Rochester, and a nationwide debate began about whether hunters have been poisoning themselves and their families for years by eating big-game animals that were killed by lead bullets.

AlGore redux as Rome keeps burning around us.....

Create an issue, make hay about it, and then create another issue to fix it and then create another issue to resolve the fix for the problem.

The common denominator to it all is that it takes a transferring of personal freedom and personal wealth to fix the fixes every time. :evil:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.