Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 River banks 
 Post subject: River banks
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:47 pm 
Forum Moderator

I had a question come up that was new to me, but maybe not to those that hunt along river banks. The person noted that many of the river banks have signs in the nature of no-shooting etc. Is this true (i.e., are there such signs), and if so, what is the legal authority. Is it that riverways are navigable federal property? If there is something to this, does it make a difference if the river is inside the State or a border between States (or Canada for that matter.) Or was this person perhaps just confusing a private landowner's No Hunting sign??

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, here's something to kick your research off: http://www.nps.gov/sacn/activities/hunt_trap.html

and here:
http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/regula ... _lands.pdf (around page 141 or so)

Where I hunt, near Granite Falls is also along the Minnesota River. I don't know of any restrictions on hunting the river banks other than one can't shoot across the river. Obviously, one must take into consideration the efeects of bullets glancing off the water. That in itself could be a major safety issue. The area I junt is a shotgun zone and we have had no complaints since I started hunting there in 1998. Of course, it is private property that borders the river.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:59 pm 
Forum Moderator

I've always wondered about shooting *on* the water -- like say, clay targets off the back of a houseboat (obviously with non-toxic shot).

Perhaps just not with Dick Cheney..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:14 pm 
Delicate Flower

mobocracy wrote:
I've always wondered about shooting *on* the water -- like say, clay targets off the back of a houseboat (obviously with non-toxic shot).

Perhaps just not with Dick Cheney..

:lol: [edit - just got further info.....thought he just dusted the guy, evidently more serious. :oops: :cry: ]

Last edited by ttousi on Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:25 pm 
Longtime Regular

It just goes to show you guys that EVEN the VP is human. Kind of sad that someone got hurt and even more lunacy that the media is now making a spectacle of the situation.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:29 pm 
Forum Moderator

BigRobT wrote:
It just goes to show you guys that EVEN the VP is human. Kind of sad that someone got hurt and even more lunacy that the media is now making a spectacle of the situation.

Human, sure, he made a mistake. But I think the problem is that he probably made several mistakes which culminated in him shooting a member of his party.

I read someplace else that these birds had clipped wings, and if that's the case, his first mistake was a fake hunt.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.