Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Varmint hunting 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:

I'm worried that the 16" barrel might put a damper on performance past 250 yards or so.

I wouldn't worry about it. We would use the M4 out to 600 yards with good accuracy all day long. It's only a 14.5" barrel.

Not sure why people are concerned about recoil with this rifle either. But then again, I shoot .30 cal M14's most of the time too.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:59 pm 
1911 tainted

1911fan wrote:
Well i routinely get 3850 FPS with a 42 gr load of H380 and a 55 gr Speer.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I say this because most of this thread has been about a .223 Remington or 5.56 x 45mm.
Maybe we should make clear what cartridge we are giving load info for.

Otherwise I am both embarrassed and impressed at the same time with 1911fan's .223 Remington load.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
Otherwise I am both embarrassed and impressed at the same time with 1911fan's 5.56 x 45mm load.

Quote:
Otherwise I am both embarrassed and impressed at the same time with 1911fan's .223 Remington load.

Well which one is it?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:14 pm 
1911 tainted

ttousi wrote:
Quote:
Otherwise I am both embarrassed and impressed at the same time with 1911fan's 5.56 x 45mm load.

Quote:

Well which one is it?

You should be embarrassed to ask such a question.
The forum has some delay in posting and I got another post that gave me a notch in my belt, so what??

Not a joke or an in your face, but there MAY BE some info that there is a problem with and could cause a dangerous situation,,,,,,what else should I say! Experienced reload's will recognize this, but the danger is to the beginners that do the "monkey see, monkey do" and hurt themselves.

Again, I am maybe over cautious, but so be it.........................

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:45 pm 
Delicate Flower

cobb wrote:
ttousi wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well which one is it?

The forum has some delay in posting and I got another post that gave me a notch in my belt, so what??

Not a joke or an in your face, but there MAY BE some info that there is a problem with and could cause a dangerous situation,,,,,,what else should I say! Experienced reload's will recognize this, but the danger is to the beginners that do the "monkey see, monkey do" and hurt themselves.

I'm not at all embarrassed to ask the question cause I was truly confused in the difference in terminology in the two posts.........especially since that was the 1st reference to "Remington" (I may have missed it)
While they may be the same exact load you are referring to, I am not certain, so therefore the question.

:?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:12 am 
1911 tainted

ttousi wrote:
cobb wrote:
ttousi wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

Well which one is it?

I'm not at all embarrassed to ask the question cause I was truly confused in the difference in terminology in the two posts.........especially since that was the 1st reference to "Remington" (I may have missed it)
While they may be the same exact load you are referring to, I am not certain, so therefore the question.

:?

Sorry, read your response too fast and thought you where making fun of my double post. I had posted with reference to one cartridge and then edited to reference another and didn't catch the double. :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
For practical purposes they are the same cartridge, the Remington a civilian designation and the 5.56 a military. Military brass may have a thicker case wall, therefore a smaller inside volume which can cause higher pressure if the same exact load data is used as the commercial brass.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:21 am 
Delicate Flower

Quote:
Military brass may have a thicker case wall, therefore a smaller inside volume which can cause higher pressure if the same exact load data is used as the commercial brass.

That I didn't know. Subtle difference that could make for a problem.

See, I did learn something :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:50 am 
Longtime Regular

More info and good read on differences here:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 6:55 am 
1911 tainted

hammAR wrote:
More info and good read on differences here:

http://www.ammo-oracle.com/body.htm

Good info!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
Quote:
Military brass may have a thicker case wall, therefore a smaller inside volume which can cause higher pressure if the same exact load data is used as the commercial brass.

That I didn't know. Subtle difference that could make for a problem.

See, I did learn something :wink:

That is also why you cannot shoot .223 in a 5.56 Nato chamber and the same deal with a 7.62/.308 set-up. Headspace changes also.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:56 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
That is also why you cannot shoot .223 in a 5.56 Nato chamber and the same deal with a 7.62/.308 set-up. Headspace changes also.

I think that it is the other way around, you should not shoot Mil ammo in a civilian weapon......military ammo is typically loaded to higher pressures and velocities than commercial ammo and may, in guns with extremely tight "match" chambers, be unsafe to fire. Example, shooting 5.56 Mil-Spec ammo in a SAAMI-specification chamber can increase pressure dramatically, up to an additional 15,000 psi or more........................same-same.... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:58 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:

It is the other way around. 5.56 in a .223Rem chamber is a bad idea. There is a significant difference in the Leade. However your point is well taken.

ETA: Sorry hammAR didn't mean to dupe your post. Yours must have posted while I was reading/replying. :oops:

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:16 am 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
farmerj wrote:

It is the other way around. 5.56 in a .223Rem chamber is a bad idea. There is a significant difference in the Leade. However your point is well taken.

ETA: Sorry hammAR didn't mean to dupe your post. Yours must have posted while I was reading/replying. :oops:

The NATO have a high pressure spec. Good reason not to put NATO ammo in a SAAMI spec gun.

The NATO have a longer headspace. Good reason not to put SAAMI spec into a NATO spec gun.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:44 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
The NATO have a high pressure spec. Good reason not to put NATO ammo in a SAAMI spec gun.

The NATO have a longer headspace. Good reason not to put SAAMI spec into a NATO spec gun.

Good, Jon....... :lol:

Bottom line, know your weapon and know your munitions.

If you have a precision weapon use use hand loads, or if you must you can use commercial munitions.

If you have a bullet hose, garbage in = garbage out............ :P :P :P :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:52 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:

NATO does have a slightly higher pressure spec. However the "unsafe" pressures are reached when firing NATO ammo in a comparatively tight SAAMI chamber. The pressures can spike as much as 20,000 psi higher than SAAMI specs in test chambers.

A NATO chamber does have a slightly longer headspace, reportedly to allow chambering in less than ideal conditions. The Leade is also longer. This longer Leade has been blamed for reduced accuracy when firing .223Rem ammo. Even when using Match grade. There is much debate about this reported loss of accuracy on the Varmint and Long range shooter forums. However it does not create an unsafe condition.

This is why some order a NATO spec chamber, to be able to shoot both factory .223 and mil-spec. ammo. But the .223 chamber is generally preferred for the long range target/varmint crowd.

ETA: Of course if you handload, you can tailor your brass and loads to your gun and chamber. This will provide the best accuracy in most situations.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.