Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:41 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
 Varmint hunting 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

the greatest benefit of the NATO chamber is the high cyclic rate of fire in the machine guns and experienced in combat.

Most will fire in excess of 500 rounds in a very short time.

I have seen machine guns go for 5000-10000 rounds in a DAY without cleaning the chamber. And they were horrible in the end.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:44 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
I have seen machine guns go for 5000-10000 rounds in a DAY without cleaning the chamber. And they were horrible in the end.

:shock: Awesome. That would be a very active lifetime for a civilian rifle.

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:49 am 

I had an opportunity to go to South Dakota to shoot prairie dogs last year. Since it was something I’d never done, I accepted the invitation. Of course, I didn’t own a rifle when I agreed to go, but thought it was a good excuse to buy one. I bought a Tikka T3Varmint (.223) and put a good scope on it.

Until that time I’d never shot anything I didn’t plan to eat (except a woodchuck who was lunching his way through my garden). Once I saw the destruction these little critters do (the prairie dogs), I felt differently. The cattle and horses step in the holes the ‘dogs make and break legs; there’s no vegetation left on the land that they inhabit. The government has re-introduced the black-foot ferret to the land, as this is a natural predator, but there are way too many prairie dogs for the ferrets. Ranchers aren’t supposed to poison the ‘dogs any more because of the other animals that feed on them.

We just knocked on doors west of the Missouri River (Reservation) and no one turned us down. As Cobb says, it’s a great experience for a young shooter – even for this old (in age) shooter – I’m relatively new to guns and shooting. I bought a range finder to see how far I was trying to shoot, and ended up hitting ‘dogs out 250 yards and a little beyond. I had a good time and would go again in a minute. They’re not as cute as you might think, and carry disease. One of the guys I was with said “if they were called ‘pasture rats’ no one would care if you shot them”.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:54 pm 
Forum Moderator

This is totally on my to-do list for next year.

What I cant decide is if a single .223 rifle is "enough" or if I should invest in a second rifle in a heavier caliber for both longer-range or windier shots, and what caliber that should be.

.243 sounds right, but the AR options in .243 aren't as plentiful as .260, although .260 seems to be a bit much, even with 100 grain varmint bullets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

.223 is all you need for whistlepigs.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:47 am 
On time out

DEAN!!!!

talking a guy out of another gun purchase?

FoR SHAME!!!!!

JK

Actually I usually travel with more than one rifle partly for the reason of short, medium and long range iron, but also to let the guns cool down, IF you get to a hot town, and you get lots of dogs up and running stupid, then burning out a barrel is really feasible.

I used to use a .22 hornet, (sold pending a .221 fireball Cooper,) a .223 Rem 700, a AR Varmint, a .22-250 or/and .220 swift and the 6 x 284. Sometimes these were just left in the truck, sometimes they were used by others, and once in a while the AR was used almost continously to hammer really stupid dogs. Now what I take depends more on who is going with me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:39 am 
1911 tainted

1911fan wrote:
.221 fireball

Shoot that from a Contender with a 10" Bullberry barrel. Out of a handgun it is good to 200 yards effectively, long hits can be done but the bullet doesn't perform that well much farther out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:38 am 
Longtime Regular

1911fan wrote:
DEAN!!!!

talking a guy out of another gun purchase?

FoR SHAME!!!!!

Actually, the one guy I know who is a very hardcore prairie poodler says the .204 Ruger is *THE* caliber to get for that varmint.

This is a guy who has burned up like a half-dozen barrels in a couple years.

But, he lives in Colorado. The average MN'er probably should just buy a nice AR so he can some fun shooting it other than the one or two times a year he'll be out shooting dawgs. Unless you live on the ND border or something.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:35 am 
Forum Moderator

DeanC wrote:
1911fan wrote:
But, he lives in Colorado. The average MN'er probably should just buy a nice AR so he can some fun shooting it other than the one or two times a year he'll be out shooting dawgs. Unless you live on the ND border or something.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody."

From the (admittedly limited) reading I've done, you supposedly do better nailing them from long distances (200-300 yards+); at closer ranges they get spooked and disappear quicker.

This is partly why I thought a heavier-bullet cartridge like .243 or .260 would make some sense for ranges or wind conditions that weren't conducive to accuracy with 50 grainers from a .223.

Plus, getting one of the long-range DPMS rifles enables you to use the lower with any of their other LR caliber uppers (.308, .243, .260, etc). I mean, who doesn't want the slightest encouragement to buy another rifle?

My AR is also very carbine style and I figure its probably decent to 300, but if I'm gonna build/buy another rifle, I should pick one in some other caliber just for variety.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:43 am 
Longtime Regular

Get the DPMS with a .204 upper to start.

Go here and find posts by "Linefinder". The guy is a prairie dog genius.

2 recent posts:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=619937
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=609992

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:52 am 
Forum Moderator

DeanC wrote:

Go here and find posts by "Linefinder". The guy is a prairie dog genius.

2 recent posts:
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=619937
http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=609992

AFAIK, the .204 upper is already compatible with my existing lower. You're not helping me branch into the AR-10 ARs very well...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:01 am 
Longtime Regular

mobocracy wrote:
AFAIK, the .204 upper is already compatible with my existing lower. You're not helping me branch into the AR-10 ARs very well...

LMAO - then take up coyote shooting and get the .243.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:50 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:

That is the upper I want to add to compliment the .223 DPMS I have. I fired a .204 from a varmint style bolt gun. (Heavy square stock, bull barrel, etc.) And the image in the scope hardly even twitches after the shot. You get to see every detail of the impact. (This was just on paper, so not very dramatic. A very tiny only just suddenly appears. Then on subsequent shots, the hole just gets more ragged around the edges.)

"The attitude of people associating guns with nothing but crime, that is what has to be changed. I grew up at a time when people were not afraid of people with firearms." —Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
Sierra Trading - Firearms Sales, Service and Training

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

KonaSeven wrote:
And the image in the scope hardly even twitches after the shot. You get to see every detail of the impact.

That is one of the top 3 attributes of that caliber for pdogs.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.