Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 The TCCarry Qual 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:11 pm 
The Man

MostlyHarmless wrote:
It was unclear to me whether you were: a) starting this thread because you are genuinely interested in opinions of forum members on how you could improve the qual, or b) holding up your qual as the gold standard that is the minimum necessary and maximum required for an instructor to conduct a qual you consider appropriate with the intention of comparing your approach t that of other instructors.
Well, I'm glad I can clear that up, so easily, for you by pointing to the opening sentence of the first post in this thread. Please read it again, and you'll understand, I trust. The answer is neither; I put it forward as what I think of as a modest but sufficient qual. I wasn't either particularly asking for suggestions (although I'd be interested in well-thought-out ones, of course) nor suggesting that it should be compared to others' quals.

Here that sentence is, for your convenience, with some apparently necessary emphasis:

"Just to put this in one place, here's what we do in the TCCarry class for the shooting qualification; as I may have written elsewhere, I think it's modest, but sufficient. "

Hope that helps.

Last edited by joelr on Mon May 18, 2009 6:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: The TCCarry Qual
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:17 am 
Longtime Regular

MostlyHarmless wrote:
A typical law-enforcement qualification goes something like this.

May I point out there's a couple differences between LEOs and Permit holders.

One is charged with the duty to run Towards gunfire and problems and actively deal with them. The other is legally obligated to run the other way and would like as little to do with gunfire and problems as possible.

Maybe a duck, cover, and run portion of the class would enhance this point?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 6:20 am 
The Man

Sure. If the shooting qual were intended to be something other than, well, a qual, that would make sense.

(I'm not sure why mostly played the cop card, but, well, I guess he can explain that for himself. It's a common error, but as long as people don't take it seriously, it's mostly harmless.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:50 pm 

Cop card? All I'm trying to do with that, apparently without effect, is point out that there is a continuum of rounds fired in various sorts of qualifications and that round count is a poor yardstick for thoroughness.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:54 pm 
The Man

MostlyHarmless wrote:
Cop card? All I'm trying to do with that, apparently without effect, is point out that there is a continuum of rounds fired in various sorts of qualifications and that round count is a poor yardstick for thoroughness.
Well, you're not doing that well, given the context. Look it up.

But, yeah, I think it would be difficult to argue that one could evaluate the ability of a student to load, handle, and shoot a firearm safety by having one's kid watch somebody blast ten shots with a borrowed, pre-loaded .22, and if that's where you're going (and it doesn't look that way to me) count me very much in.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.