Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:52 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Back to normal. 
 Post subject: Back to normal.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 7:10 am 
The Man

With the crash of the hardware where ellegon.com used to live, my classes and my ellegon.com website pretty much dropped out of Google entirely.

That's changed.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:57 pm 
Longtime Regular

Good job being #1 and #2 with the series of key words! :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:44 pm 
The Man

Srigs wrote:
Well, I'm certainly pleased. Particularly since I've given out all my "secrets" of improving one's google ranking to anybody who has asked. (There's not a lot of secrets. None isn't a lot, is it?)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 10:36 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Srigs wrote:
Well, I'm certainly pleased. Particularly since I've given out all my "secrets" of improving one's google ranking to anybody who has asked. (There's not a lot of secrets. None isn't a lot, is it?)

Keep up the good work on the site!

I know getting a good google rating can be a challenge and I have mastered a time or two with different sites I help manage. :)

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:11 pm 

Considering Google's left-leaning anti-gun stance how do you get to come up in a search at all?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:38 pm 
The Man

chinakay wrote:
Considering Google's left-leaning anti-gun stance how do you get to come up in a search at all?
Work, and luck. Ellegon.com already had a google ranking before 2003, when it was just my writing website, and I made the decision to do the carry permit and political advocacy stuff off of that, rather than start a new website. Lucky choice, as that turned out.

That helped.

And it worked for quite a while, until the server where ellegon.com used to live up and died a couple of months ago. Pretty quickly, I dropped entirely off of Google -- the bots didn't like the site being gone, quite reasonably.

And rather than just moving all of the gun stuff to Twincitiescarry.com, when I moved stuff to Dreamhost (with a LOT of help from DDB), I also moved the ellegon.com domain, so my present Google ranking appears to be influenced by my pre-crash Google ranking.

Beyond that, Google's algorithms appear to be sensitive to, among other things:

Text. They like a lot of text; I've done a fair number of essays, and updated them, sometimes pretty frequently.

Headers. Descriptive headers seem to help a lot.

Meta-tags. Useful, but easy to get yourself in trouble for overdoing. I try to put in as many legitimate ones as I can, and make sure to put in nothing that's intended to be bot-bait. (No "Sex, hot hobbit-on-hobbit action," etc.)

Links. Google likes links; I link to some other sites that I think are relevant (not always good; I link to Rebecca Thoman's website, after all) and a fair number of people link back to me.

I don't guarantee that any or all of that will work, but it seems to have worked for me -- combined, as I said, with a fair amount of luck.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Last helpful suggestion is Key Words listing that is part of html that does not show on a normal page. Otherwise your approach is very good. Google likes sites that link to you (increases your importance factor) and ellegon.com is linked to by tons of sites so that helps. Now twincitiescarry.com has a link from ellegon so it benefits from it also so this is what google likes and has helped ellegon.com come back quick due to the number of links from other sites.

Good job and keep linking and posting on other forums helps also! I have posted on a couple already... :D

Side Guard Holsters

Post subject: Links
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:57 am 
The Man

Absolutely. I'm planning on upping the number of links from ellegon.com -- to, among others, certified training organizations' websites.

Win-win. I like that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.