Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:23 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 General issues aside... 
 Post subject: General issues aside...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 2:27 am 
The Man

This is the place to discuss my own carry courses -- times, dates, locations, requests for scheduling, etc. Questions can be posted here, or emailed to me at joelr@ellegon.com, joelr@twincitiescarry.com, or joelrosenberg@gmail.com .

Last edited by joelr on Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: General issues aside...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 9:48 am 
Wise Elder

joelr wrote:
This is the place to discuss my own carry courses -- times, dates, locations, requests for scheduling, etc. Questions can be posted here, or emailed to me at joelr@ellegon.com, joelr@twincitiescarry.com, or joelrosenberg@gmail.com .
I've been keeping relatively quiet here, as the head of my department (notice vagueness here) is remarkably anti-civilian-gun-ownership. I just wanted to say publically to our host that, at the direction of the head of my department, I took his Twin Cities Carry Course some time ago, with the clear implication that I was to find it wanting.

I did not.

It was a superb six hours of instruction on the law, practicalities and realities of civilian handgun carry, and not only did my report reflect that, but I have (as a private person, not speaking on behalf of my department) recommended the course to both friends and family, several of whom have taken it, and also given it rave reviews.

I'll abide by our host's request that we not badmouth other instructors, but I can say that in my own experience (Mr. Rosenberg's course was not the only one that I attended) none of the others was as informative, engaging, and to put none too fine a point in it, entertaining and valuable.

Post subject: Re: General issues aside...
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:17 am 
The Man

leo wrote:
joelr wrote:
I've been keeping relatively quiet here, as the head of my department (notice vagueness here) is remarkably anti-civilian-gun-ownership. I just wanted to say publically to our host that, at the direction of the head of my department, I took his Twin Cities Carry Course some time ago, with the clear implication that I was to find it wanting.

I did not.

It was a superb six hours of instruction on the law, practicalities and realities of civilian handgun carry, and not only did my report reflect that, but I have (as a private person, not speaking on behalf of my department) recommended the course to both friends and family, several of whom have taken it, and also given it rave reviews.

I'll abide by our host's request that we not badmouth other instructors, but I can say that in my own experience (Mr. Rosenberg's course was not the only one that I attended) none of the others was as informative, engaging, and to put none too fine a point in it, entertaining and valuable.

What can I say, except, "Thank you"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

Joel, I realize this is probably kind of early to be asking this question since it's a few years off but do you have any idea what the MN Permit renewal courses might be like? Other states that I have permits for have very short renewal classes, mainly updates on the carry laws and the normal shooting qualification. Has this been addressed by anyone yet?

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject: Good question
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:00 pm 
The Man

Ramoel wrote:
Joel, I realize this is probably kind of early to be asking this question since it's a few years off but do you have any idea what the MN Permit renewal courses might be like? Other states that I have permits for have very short renewal classes, mainly updates on the carry laws and the normal shooting qualification. Has this been addressed by anyone yet?
Not that I know of. I've got a general idea of what I'm going to be doing, but I don't really have any idea at all what others will be.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:48 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

I don't want to talk about other instructors in the section for your class... I took Gary Shade's class and asked him [if he's still doing it after Oct 1st] what the refresher course would be. He said $50, and said I could sit in on the class anytime for free.

IMO Not much will change in 5 years, so really all any instructor would need to do is hand out a sheet with any updated laws on it. Possibly, if one hasn't shot in a while, take another shooting 'test'. While it can happen, the law isn't going to get more restrictive. Especially with Florida leading the way to expand our rights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:59 pm 
The Man

Pakrat wrote:
I don't want to talk about other instructors in the section for your class... I took Gary Shade's class and asked him [if he's still doing it after Oct 1st] what the refresher course would be. He said $50, and said I could sit in on the class anytime for free.

IMO Not much will change in 5 years, so really all any instructor would need to do is hand out a sheet with any updated laws on it. Possibly, if one hasn't shot in a while, take another shooting 'test'. While it can happen, the law isn't going to get more restrictive. Especially with Florida leading the way to expand our rights.

That's one way to look at it. The shooting qualification isn't optional, though -- it's required by law.

That's not my take, though. My own take is that, every five years, even if you've got some experience, spending a few hours reviewing the law, ethics, safety matters, and practical considerations around carrying is a good idea, and while I very much doubt that anybody who has been carrying for five years will want to hear a lot from me on weapon selection and holster choice, it's worth taking the time to review and reconsider all the big issues, even if it takes awhile.

Others can do otherwise; I'm fine with that.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.