Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:58 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Confused 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:33 pm 
The Man

Pat Cannon wrote:
joelr wrote:
Bagman wrote:
I kind of feel like a dope not knowing till a few minutes ago that the guy who runs this forum also offers classes.
... like most folks, I wear many hats . . . and, in my case, not particularly to cover the bald spot.
Yeah, Joel, I notice that cool hat you won at the Serenity show covers pretty much your whole head...
Some people can carry it off. Me, Baldwin, damn few others.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

simian12 wrote:
I would be very careful of the really cheap courses, or instructors who are willing to discount their classes for some reason.

Depends on the reason. When someone needed an emergency permit, half the instructors here offered a 100% discount (and the other half probably would have if they'd seen it in time).

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:37 am 

SethB wrote:
simian12 wrote:
I would be very careful of the really cheap courses, or instructors who are willing to discount their classes for some reason.

Depends on the reason. When someone needed an emergency permit, half the instructors here offered a 100% discount (and the other half probably would have if they'd seen it in time).

By discounting their class I mean reducing the cost per person by 25% based on occupancy. I was told that if we brought 8 or more to the class our fee would go from $100 to $75. Being a former teacher and a salesman, you never discount a quality service if the market is there for it.
This in my instance was not the case. The instruction was well below what I expected considering the seriousness of the subject. We had people who failed the shooting portion from 10 FEET! And passed with perfect scores.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

simian12 wrote:
By discounting their class I mean reducing the cost per person by 25% based on occupancy. I was told that if we brought 8 or more to the class our fee would go from $100 to $75. Being a former teacher and a salesman, you never discount a quality service if the market is there for it.

As a current instructor, I'm going to disagree for a number of reasons:

* Why do all movie theaters, zoos, amusement parks and other attractions offer group discounts? Because it shifts the cost of advertising and promotion to the group leaders or organizers. Valleyfairmakes more profit, I'd wager, selling 1000 tickets to 3M at, say, $24.99 than it does selling them to the general public at $35.99. They take one payment, not 1000 (how many cashier hours does that save?) and spend nothing on advertising.

It takes real time and effort to find and sell students on your carry class. If I can get someone to save me the hours and dollars that takes, I'll be happy to reward them with a discount, and I'll still come out ahead.

* Why are bullets, beef and beer cheaper by the case? Because there are fixed costs (getting you into the heated, cooled and lit store) that are a substantial portion of a product's price.

Similarly, I pay the same rent on a room with four or 20 people in it. And I spend roughly the same time teaching a class of 20. My "overhead" is the same. From your example, one person gets me $100, but eight people get me $600. Damn right I'll offer the discount.

* Not all instructors are solely -- or at all -- motivated by money. I think of Paul Horvick, who drives 3-1/2 hours from Detroit Lakes, rents a classroom, has a co-instructor, and charges $75? Subtract the classroom and range fees, and the gas, split the dough, and subtract a night in a cheap hotel, and it might, for a class of 10, net Paul $100 for a whole day of his time. And he's a licensed teacher and attorney, not some yahoo off the street. Think maybe there's more to it than money?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

simian12 wrote:
SethB wrote:
simian12 wrote:

By discounting their class I mean reducing the cost per person by 25% based on occupancy. I was told that if we brought 8 or more to the class our fee would go from $100 to $75.

What businesses do you know that don't offer wholesale/quantity discounts?

Most restaurants don't (because a large group at one time is a major hassle); but many do via third-parties (e.g. IDine or airline miles). Just about everyone else does.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.