Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Plug: Buffalo Bore 
 Post subject: Plug: Buffalo Bore
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:05 pm 
The Man

Far as I can tell, it's really hard to beat these guys for conventional defensive ammo. From my reading, I think the 255-grain Keith bullets going at 1000 fps out of most/all of the major big bore guns (.44, .45ACP, and .45 Colt and ...45 Auto Rim, for loose values of "major"; faster out of the .44 Magnum, for those who can control it) is pretty much Fackler-plus, and if you're going to go for a snubby .38, .357 or a 9mm, some of their offerings look awfully good.

Price? Not great. But . . . "when you care enough to send the very best..."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Plug: Buffalo Bore
PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup! I got some of their 158 gr LSWC standard and "plus P" for my 642 / 442 to run thru my chrono. I've also got the same in Remington. This is the old "FBI load" if I understand it correctly. Also will compare it to the Speer 135 "short barrel" loads. I know the "Box of Truth" did expansion tests on some of these loads.

I hope to get to it this fall yet. I will post my results.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:30 pm 
The Man

Very cool; please do.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:53 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Speer reloading manual says 'don't use heavier than 146 jacketed in a 38 Special pistol because of low velocity' and no longer lists loads for the 158 bullets I have. I don't have a chrono yet. I assume expansion could be a problem, especially with a sub revolver.

Even with +P loads, a 1 7/8 barrel would probably be a lot less than the 1000 fps listed for the 158 grain bullet. I don't know if I'd use 158s for self defense out of a short barrel. Probably pretty accurate out of a target gun though. I'd be interested in seeing expansion results....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:21 am 
The Man

Dick Unger wrote:
The Speer reloading manual says 'don't use heavier than 146 jacketed in a 38 Special pistol because of low velocity' and no longer lists loads for the 158 bullets I have. I don't have a chrono yet. I assume expansion could be a problem, especially with a sub revolver.

Even with +P loads, a 1 7/8 barrel would probably be a lot less than the 1000 fps listed for the 158 grain bullet. I don't know if I'd use 158s for self defense out of a short barrel. Probably pretty accurate out of a target gun though. I'd be interested in seeing expansion results....
Me, too. Buffalo Bore claims (I don't doubt them, but I haven't yet seen an independent test) 1015 fps out of a 340PD (it has the 1-7/8 inch barrel) for their low-flash 158-grain .357 hollowpoints, and a flat 1000 fps out of their 158-grain semiwadcutter .38 +P loads from a 2" Model 60.

Some of the newer hollowpoints are designed to expand at slower velocities; they've got those, too, in standard pressure .38 loadings for short barrels. I don't know what powders they're using -- they don't say on their website -- but their short-barrelled stuff, like a lot of manufacturers', is designed for and tested on short barrels, which makes eminent sense to me.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.