Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ammo on sale at Dicks again 
 Post subject: Ammo on sale at Dicks again
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:03 pm 

It looks like Dicks has ammo on sale again. The question I have is, has anyone used the Ultramax brand and if so what are your opinions of it? It is $29.98 for a 250 pack for 9mm, 150 pack of .45 or 200 pack for.38. They Have Remington UMC on sale again Also.

RTK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:29 pm 

O.K. so nobody wanted to say anything about Ultramax ammo. I did purchase a box and fed about 120 rounds to the XD9SC this morning, needless to say I will not buy Ultramax again. I had one FTE which I am certain was the ammo due to the fact that the XD has eaten and spit out virtually everything that I have ever fed it. The thing that I noticed with Ultramax after my outing with it this morning is that it was "very dirty". Mind you, at times, very dirty can be a good thing but with ammo, cleaner is better. Any how, I will not be using it again - even if it is cheap. Another lesson in "you usally get what you pay for".

rtk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

It could be the build up of carbon in the firearm led to the FTF. I would have responded but I have never heard of that type of ammunition before.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:04 pm 

It was a failure to eject. I should have known when I looked at it at the time of purchase that is was not very good quality. I was not to concerned about feeding it to the XD. I do not think I would have been that brave about Kel-tec P11 swallowing it though. I have always had good luck with Winchester White Box, I think that I will stay with that for practice ammo.

rtk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 4:21 pm 
Longtime Regular

I tend to like the Remmington UMC and Winchester White Box. I picked up a two cases of Federal American Eagle, I am a tad worried, but Glocks will feed most anything. Unfortunatly if memory serves It will be a long clean afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:05 pm 
Longtime Regular

rtk:

Sorry I did not see your post until thiss evening, Ultramax is junk.

I bought some earlier this summer and had more problems with FTE, FTF, FTRB than any other ammo I have used.

I will never again buy this stuff.

Jeff

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 12:26 am 
Longtime Regular

I bought a box of the 38 special, so it was used in a revolver and I thought it was great. I reload so it was a win win situation for me.
I actually was waiting for their sale so I could shoot some cheap 45 stuff and add to my brass. After reading this maybe I'll just go someplace else and buy some brass. I'm in need of 40 and 45.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 7:22 am 
Longtime Regular

I've used the Ultramax when troubleshooting my PT-100 for accuracy problems. I wasn't impressed. I had no firing problems, but it was one of the least accurate brands I've found.

"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." [...a sword never kills anybody; it's a tool in the killer's hand.] -- (Lucius Annaeus) Seneca "the Younger" (ca. 4 BC-65 AD),

The Nanny State MUST DIE!!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.