Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Group buy on the Book 
 Post subject: Re: How do I get a...
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:40 am 
Longtime Regular

matt160 wrote:
This morning two of my colleagues at work were discussing this article http://www.baltimorereporter.com/?p=3939#more-3939 that one of them had read this weekend. He mentioned how disturbed his wife was by it and about being better prepared for his family’s safety than he is now. Later both of them came over to me asking about how one gets a carry permit. Both are hunters but never thought of the need to have a gun on them. One asked if I was carrying when we went to a coworker’s birthday party at Block E a few weeks ago and I said of course, who wouldn’t?. And he went on about how he and his wife (from the outer metro) were worried the whole time especially when leaving there.

I recommended a few of the instructors I know off of from this site (including the owner) and recommended they get Joel’s book a read it over first. I also metioned to them that there a lot of women who carry and would not mind meeting them at the range for some pointers and training.

Warning, Thread hijack in process. Everyone put their guns away and pay attention. No one will be harmed by what I'm about to type :-)

At the risk of sounding like a marketing weasel for the site owner, I would recommend those of you serious about spreading our particular interest far and wide do what I did. Buy a spare copy of Joel's book.

I own a copy which I have loaned to friends and family on occasion. A few weeks ago I bought a second copy with the intention of giving it to Joe Soucheray. At that time, Soucheray was talking about permits in a positive way but was not terribly well informed on the specifics in the law nor the general attitude of responsible gun owners. It was my thought to give him a copy .

OOPS ... I procrastinated. Which means that I had a spare loaner copy in my range bag (in the car) that I was able to drop off at the Saint Anthony Village Wine and Spirits. A good conversation ensued.

I would suggest that those of you who find yourselves giving advice or being in the position to nudge a person who is on the fence would benefit from having a loaner copy.

You can give it out without revealing your permit status if you think carefully about what you're going to say. "I saw this book at a firearms safety class and was curious about the law. After reading the Who this book is for portion, I figured it'd be a good read" (BTW, that is a GREAT section)

The other benefit is that then you have a copy at home to reference if any questions come up as well as one that is always on hand to loan out if a situation presents itself.

What? No one else has their range bag in the car just in case they get time to go? :-)

We now return you to Matt160's attempt at conversion.

Back to you, Matt, and GOOD LUCK!

Last edited by plblark on Mon May 21, 2007 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 12:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll bring my copy to work tomorrow.

Is there a bulk discount ? :wink:

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." - Sigmund Freud

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:12 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. They're under $17 when you buy a case of 30 at a time. Wouldn't bother Joel a bit! :)

matt160 wrote:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:24 pm 
1911 tainted

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Yup. They're under $17 when you buy a case of 30 at a time. Wouldn't bother Joel a bit! :)

matt160 wrote:

A case is now 34 books.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:33 pm 
The Man

... and if a bunch of people want to get together and split a case, that'd be fine with me. (Ditto if folks who have already bought case lots want to sell them individually, or in bulk at whatever price they're comfortable with. I don't have the right to limit how people resell them, so it's just as well that I don't have any desire at all to do that.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm willing to pick up a case and facilitate a group buy if there's interest enough to warrant a whole case. I need one more book anyway. When the manager at SAV WaS sends mine back it's going to Joe Soucheray so I'll need another loaner.

running list moved farther down in the thread.

Last edited by plblark on Tue May 22, 2007 2:28 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'd like to get a couple of copies of the book and I'm definitely up for a group buy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 2:09 pm 

I'd be in for 2 or 3 copies

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:17 pm 
Delicate Flower

I hereby nominate plbark to be appointed to the newly created forum position of "Group Buy Coordinator" GBC(created just this moment) or if you prefer plbarkgroupbuycoordinatoroftheforum
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited by ttousi on Tue May 22, 2007 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:18 pm 
Longtime Regular

I figure everyone groans when I say group buy :-)
That and Dean gets ready to PM me asking when my C&R paperwork will be completed :-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Can one of the mods split the group buy stuff into its own thread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 3:52 pm 
Forum Moderator

Done!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Put me down for 4 please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:53 pm 

How are you going to handle distribution and payment? If I can get it, then I'm in for one.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 88 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.