Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:39 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 GB Idea: Safariland Speedloaders for J-frames 

How many Comp I (J-C7) Speedloaders would you ike?
Poll ended at Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:09 am
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
100%  100%  [ 8 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

GB Idea: Safariland Speedloaders for J-frames 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:38 am 
Longtime Regular

Dealer price at Midway - $7.29 for 5 shot S&W 38 special (only 3 in stock)

They will ship the 3 speedloaders first class USPS for $3.16.

The catch - to get this pricing the order needs to exceed $40 or there is a $4 minimum order charge.

Oh, and they have Ruger GP100 speedloaders in stock for $8.09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

OK, I'm confused (don't all act shocked at once)

Reading the original, I assumed (i know) that they'd work in all the guns listed. It makes sense that this isn't so. SO, are there different models for the different guns? If so, people need to list which gun they are trying to fit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
OK, I'm confused (don't all act shocked at once)

Reading the original, I assumed (i know) that they'd work in all the guns listed. It makes sense that this isn't so. SO, are there different models for the different guns? If so, people need to list which gun they are trying to fit.

There is only one model for 5-shooters. This is what I'm proposing for the group buy, since a lot of guys have J-frames.

For six-shot revolvers there are several models, as there's more variation in cylinder diameter (or more precisely, cylinder-axis-to-chamber distance). I learned this in the process of figuring out that my GP100 came with the wrong kind.

So anyway if you want one for a six-shooter you'll be complicating the order; I don't know if cobb, or whoever, wants to deal with that or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

It really probably wouldn't make a difference if you are buying at Midway using somebody's dealer pricing if you want to order different types. There's no real discount for the volume we are talking about.

So, for example, I could place the order for multiple items: J-frame speedloaders and Ruger speedloaders.

Paul would just have to keep his head screwed on straight and make sure we know how many of which kind to order so we don't end up with excess inventory like the 1911 mag order. (Of course, like that one, on this order Paul and I could absorb the excess inventory for personal use, excepting the Ruger products)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:45 pm 

I haven't seen these up close. Do they work the same way as the HKS where you twist them to unlock the bullets?

When I was a reserve back in the 70's there were speedloaders where you pushed the bullets into the cylinders. I can't remember the name of them but they seemed to have a more positive feel then twisting and hoping the bullets fall into the cylinder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

lumbering.buffalo wrote:
I haven't seen these up close. Do they work the same way as the HKS where you twist them to unlock the bullets?

When I was a reserve back in the 70's there were speedloaders where you pushed the bullets into the cylinders. I can't remember the name of them but they seemed to have a more positive feel then twisting and hoping the bullets fall into the cylinder.
No, the Safariland speedloaders release when a button in the middle hits the cylinder; you just push straight in til you hear them click loose, then close the cylinder and 'wipe' the speedloader away. It's a hair quicker than the HKSs -- or a lot quicker, depending on how good you are with one, or bad with the other.

Safariland makes a Comp I -- the one pictured above -- the most compact, a Comp II with a slightly bigger knob, and for the gamers, the Comp III with a big long handle on it. The Comp III is also spring-loaded so it 'shoots' the rounds into the chambers, making it easier to load your revolver in zero gravity. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:57 pm 

Ok, I'm in for 2; 1 for carry and one for back-up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:25 pm 

So, I've read through the above, but I'm still not quite sure exactly what price we've settled on. In other words, what's the bottom line? (When doing the calculations, please put me down for two that fit the J-frame 5 shot 642. I'm not picking them up in Fairbault though. What other possibilities exist for pick-up? I'm in Blaine and work downtown Mpls. everyday. If it would help, I'm willing to use my Brownell's dealer discount and/or my central work location in Mpls for shipping from supplier and pickup by buyers.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:35 pm 
Longtime Regular

$8.61 and $9.25 for shipping. If I were to assume, I'd assume that the shipping covers 16 units. You could check that in the dealer's section by putting in different quantities until the shipping price changed.

Going with my assumption, we have $8.61+$0.58ea = $9.19ea. For simplicity and to cover just a slight bit of the costs in delivery, etc, I'd suggest setting a price of $9.50 ea, anything over actual cost to be split by those doing the ordering / delivery.

EDIT: I spoke to Cobb. He orders regularly, so no issue with not doing this one :-)

onebohemian: would you rather do the whole ball of yarn or want me to collect the funds and help distribute?

Last edited by plblark on Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sounds good to me. I voted in the poll, but let me officially put myself down for 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would take two. Could I pick them up from you (cobb) next Thrus. on my way through?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:53 pm 
1911 tainted

plblark wrote:
I'd hate to cut Cobb out of this since he was the first to volunteer on ordering.

You are cutting me out of nothing, I was just trying to help. Dean seems to want to step up and that is fine with me, he can get the same price at Brownells, is offering other options such as Midway and is located in the metro area which would aid in the distribution to all.

No problem, all is well. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:39 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, Midway is cheaper and I am in dowtown Mpls 5 days a week, so I could do it.

It also looks like they received a new shipment because it doesn't have the "Only 3 available" warning in red anymore. I wonder if my fooling around trying to figure out the shipping by putting all three in my shopping cart and almost checking out all the way triggered an order?

I'm ambivalent about doing it. I'm glad to help out if I can. Whatever works best for all concerned.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:54 am 
1911 tainted

Midway is cheaper and you can have 8 shipped for $3.84.

So at that rate, it would be $7.77 each if 8 were ordered.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:08 am 
Delicate Flower

Are they here yet? :P

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.