Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Question: Is there a TC's handgun trade/buy/sell source? 
 Post subject: Question: Is there a TC's handgun trade/buy/sell source?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:01 pm 

Hello to All,
I'm a new CC permit carrier and I'm looking to buy a handgun or two. I like the idea of private buying and selling. I am familiar with sites like "thefiringline", "glocktalk" etc. Call me overly cautious but buying without actually inspecting an item is not me. Is there any local source of listings or an online site for FTF transactions in the general TC area? If not, what do the rest of you do--Gander Mountain, Cabela's...? A friend warned me off gun shows--unreliable stock.
Thanks,
GJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

From the Rules: http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... php?t=3303

Quote:
1 No Private Firearm Sales

To avoid liability issues, the Forum owner has decided that no listing, buying or selling of firearms by private individuals be conducted on this forum.

Licensed dealers (FFLs) may list firearms for sale under that license; any user may post information about licensed sales.

Post subject: I'm not suggesting, I'm only wondering
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:27 pm 

I did not mean to imply that tccarry.com is, or ought to be, the place for private buy/sell/trade of handguns. I was merely wondering if there are other forums or sources that do this.
GJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sorry, not trying to jump on you.

Personally, I've found that the people on here are excellent sources of information. I'd recommend attending a breakfast / shoot / range day or soliciting advice or participation in one. It'd be a great way to make friends.

Most of the guns I've ever bought or sold FTF have been through people I know well. It's like a network. Just tell one guy you're looking for something and eventually someone will come up with it.

It is a conundrum. The people here are a great resource but please do not use the public forum to conduct sales.

Yeah, it doesn't help you in the short term but in the long term it's a great way to get experience with several different firearms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

gjlog, first welcome.................

For starters you should look into becoming a member of USPSA or IDPA anyhow....I believe that they both have "for sale" section that will be a starting point........best that I can do on short notice.

The MN/USPSA forum site,
http://mnuspsa.org/forum/

The MN/IDPA forum site,
http://www.twincitiesidpa.com/

...also, join the monthly TCC breakfasts, as well as the occasionally scheduled shooting "exercises" that are planned by individuals and posted on this site - but without any affiliation or sponsorship of TCC...............

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have gotten some great deals from gunbroker and have never been burned by any one there.

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:26 pm 

Thanks for the helpful feedback. I will take your advice.
GJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:07 pm 
1911 tainted

There are those from Minnesota that post for sale on "The High Road" -
http://www.thehighroad.org/

I bought an older Taurus 85CH from a gentleman off of THR and he is a regular poster on this forum.

Edited for spelling. :oops:

Last edited by cobb on Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:43 pm 

I hate to admit it because it proves things about me that I feel healthier denying, but I bet I search the term "minnesota" in 3 to 6 different online sites each day. Always looking for the next bargain before someone gets to it first. Some of my favorites: glocktalk, THR, firingline, sigforum. If its an FTF sale on one of these sites, it's easy enough to meet the seller in some public parking lot to inspect the gun before purchase. Haven't been burned yet. The only thing I would add, however, is that instead of "minnesota," try searching these same sites for "michigan" and leave "minnesota" for me so that we don't overload any of them.

Have fun,

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

First of all welcome to the forum!

Lots of gun forums do listing of private sales. Example you looking for a Smith wheel gun then join and post a WTB (Willing to Buy) on the www.smith-wessonforum.com classified section. THR, KTOG.org, AR15.com and many more.

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject: Re: Question: Is there a TC's handgun trade/buy/sell source?
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:35 am 
Longtime Regular

gjlog wrote:
Hello to All,
I'm a new CC permit carrier and I'm looking to buy a handgun or two. I like the idea of private buying and selling. I am familiar with sites like "thefiringline", "glocktalk" etc. Call me overly cautious but buying without actually inspecting an item is not me. Is there any local source of listings or an online site for FTF transactions in the general TC area? If not, what do the rest of you do--Gander Mountain, Cabela's...? A friend warned me off gun shows--unreliable stock.
Thanks,
GJ

In the Cities, there is Bills, North and South, Last gun Shop (google that one) 8) Frontiersman, Streichers, there are more, brain is'nt working.

You're in Chisago County, who was your instructor? The reason I ask, is your permit is just a carry permit NOT a CONCEAL AND CARRY.

Don't believe me, here's a link to the law, the word conceal is'nt in it, anywhere. http://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/data ... 4/714.html

Welcome to the forum

Post subject: Permit
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:04 pm 

Thanks Brit,

New to the situation, I did not realize that there was a distinction between a "carry" permit and a "carry and conceal" permit. You are correct that I am in Chisago County and that our permit mentions only the term "carry". I will try to find out more about what this means straight away.
GJ

Post subject: Land of Confusion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:19 pm 

So, I'm not as embarrassed about not knowing about the distinction between a "conceal" permit and a "conceal and carry" permit.

I checked the County Sheriff's webpage and it links to a downloadable form entitled, "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun".

http://www.co.chisago.mn.us/category.as ... D47B3BEBF4

Yet, when one links to the form itself, it is entitled, "MINNESOTA UNIFORM FIREARM APPLICATION PERMIT TO CARRY A PISTOL".

Surely this is misleading. I wonder if the ambiguity, intentional or not, leads others in this county to believe that their is a permit to "conceal and carry"?
GJ

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Brit's pulling your leg. Minnesota's permit law is silent on concealing, unlike most other states.

Your permit class certainly should have covered that fact. If it didn't, I'd assume that other important issues were also missed.

Better get the book. :)

Post subject: Re: Land of Confusion
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:38 pm 
Longtime Regular

gjlog wrote:
...I checked the County Sheriff's webpage and it links to a downloadable form entitled, "Permit to Carry a Concealed Handgun".
Surely this is misleading. I wonder if the ambiguity, intentional or not, leads others in this county to believe that their is a permit to "conceal and carry"?
GJ

Yep. You should not assume that an officer knows the law. Police and non-police, statewide, will, someday, get it through their heads.

The best way to move that forward has been and is being discussed, here and elsewhere, at, ahem, some length!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.