Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:53 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 I got a flyer from Centerfire Systems. 
 Post subject: I got a flyer from Centerfire Systems.
PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sig P6/225 w/ 2 mags, $269 (single-stack compact 8+1 9mm)

Tanfoglio 9mm full- or mid- size, steel or polymer. 2 mags. $349

Skyy CPX-1. small CCW, 9+1 9mm. 2 mags. $249

Generic 6 shot .38 snubbie. $179

Yugo SKS, shooter grade, $169

Generic 1911 $339

STAR-15, various types, $699-$799

FAL $699

Romo WASR 10 AK, $349

Not bad deals.

Their site is www.centerfiresystems.com

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:36 am 
Longtime Regular

Web site lists cheap K31's. Everyone should have 2 of these.

Flyer lists Martini's...Maybe they bought the infamous Kyber Pass guns from SOG.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 7:57 am 
1911 tainted

Dick Unger wrote:

Ya, the problem is that they have them listed as discontinued, out of stock and no back orders. :?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 12:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:

I know the price is cheap compared to today's market, but I bought my two for $70 each.

I do agree, everyone should have two. One in beech, and one in walnut.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

I know the price is cheap compared to today's market, but I bought my two for $70 each.

I do agree, everyone should have two. One in beech, and one in walnut.

You guys have piqued my curiosity (it doesn't take much :wink:). Do you guys reload 7.5x55? If not, is it widely available as cheap surplus ammo? If so, is it corrosive?

From Wikipedia:

"Many collectors of the K31 have removed the butt plate and recovered a small slip of plasticized paper from beneath it. This slip contains the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom the rifle was issued. In some cases, collectors have used the information to contact the previous owners, and have recounted the details of those encounters on a variety of collector's web forums."

Anything there?

"The stocks of most K31s are almost always in poor condition, especially around the butt area. Most are very gouged and scratched. One theory for explaining this is that the Swiss soldiers would use the butts of their rifles as boot jacks for their cleated boots. They may have used the butts to clean snow and mud from their boots as well. Soldiers may also have carried the rifles in backpacks, with the buttstock exposed to the elements.

Another explanation for the poor condition of the stocks is that the Swiss soldiers would stick the butts of their rifles into the snow when they needed to put them down. When it was time to move out, the soldiers would kick their rifles (with their cleated boots) to dislodge them, as they had become partially frozen and stuck in the snow. This would also explain the discoloration from water damage on many stocks in the butt area.

These theories, however, are all speculation, as there is no hard evidence to definitively prove any of them. Collectors affectionately refer to the stocks as "beaver chewed" and "head bonkers".
"

How do your stocks look?

This is all very interesting to me. I'm thinking about applying for my C&R license as it sure would be neat to have old, but serviceable, guns delivered to my door. I've wanted an SKS for some time and now I'm thinking about a K31 or two.

If anyone would be willing to let me tag along the next time you shoot some old rifles, I'd really appreciate it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

macphisto wrote:
You guys have piqued my curiosity (it doesn't take much :wink:). Do you guys reload 7.5x55? If not, is it widely available as cheap surplus ammo? If so, is it corrosive?

ammo is readily available, but it's not cheap. 480 rounds of GP11 go for about $260 these days. When I bought mine it was $150. GP11 is Swiss-made surplus ammo that is considered by many to be match quality. More info here. You can also buy modern ammo and reloading components, though I've never reloaded for it yet. I was saving my brass but I found out the GP11 is berdan primed and therefore not easily reloadable. The ammo is not corrosive.

Quote:
"Many collectors of the K31 have removed the butt plate and recovered a small slip of plasticized paper from beneath it. This slip contains the name and address of the Swiss citizen to whom the rifle was issued."

Anything there?

not on either of mine.

Quote:
How do your stocks look?

Not too bad. Here's my first one, a tiger-striped walnut stock, both before cleaning and after. Cleaning consisted of disassembly, degreasing and lighting oiling the metal parts, cleaning and degreasing the furniture with mineral spirits and acetone, a light sanding, then a refinishing with several coats of Behr's tung oil finish.

My birch K31 is here. Same cleaning, but I didn't do any sanding with that one.

Quote:
This is all very interesting to me. I'm thinking about applying for my C&R license as it sure would be neat to have old, but serviceable, guns delivered to my door. I've wanted an SKS for some time and now I'm thinking about a K31 or two.

If anyone would be willing to let me tag along the next time you shoot some old rifles, I'd really appreciate it.

I'd recommend both the C&R and the K31. I love getting an "new" relic in the mail, taking it out for the first time, looking it over, checking all the marks, learning its history, cleaning it up and finally shooting it. Out of all my C&R rifles, the K31 is the only one I hold in as high regard as I do my Garands. That straight bolt action is just a joy to operate.

I'd be more than happy to let you join me in shooting these, but it won't be until it warms up, and it'd be down at Post 435 gun club near Elko, MN.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:00 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Do you guys reload 7.5x55?

Despite the 7.5mm label it uses .308 dia bullets. So bullet selection is huge. And I generally have a good selection on the shelf.

The K31 itself is a pleasure to shoot. Mild recoil and shoots great groups, even through the strange iron sights with bifocals. :)

Last edited by KonaSeven on Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 9:21 am 
Longtime Regular

You have the best K31 stocks I've seen. Most K31's look a bit beaver chewed. I've never seen a bad barrel or action.

I've got 2 beech stocks, they both shoot as well as my Garand. I'm saving brass too.

I've got name tags with both but never tried to reach anyone. Classic Arms lists a contact, but he didn't respond to me.

It seems like a great dollar value. I think you could reload just like a 308.

Everyone should do CCR and also CMP (Civilian Marksmanship Program) It's really cheap entertainment and you wind up with a wonderful gun collection.

Price are starting to rise as the dollar falls. i'd bet in a year prices will be up 20% on guns and more on ammo.

Post subject: Just a little trivia about the K31.......
PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:23 am 
On time out

Does any of you ever wonder why the butt-stocks on K31's are dented and dimpled?

Swiss soldiers use to tap their mountain boots on the butt to remove mud.

Here's a pic of said boots:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.