Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Remember: gun-related items only. No lawn mowers, no guns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Trade-In's Recommendations - Done Deal 
 Post subject: Trade-In's Recommendations - Done Deal
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have recently decided that I want to trade my Ruger P90 in on something more suited to concealed carry, and to offer an alternative to my Glock 19. Financially I can't justify 3 pistols right now, but I also cannot bring myself to get rid of a gun without replacing it. But enough rambling.

Question: Does anyone have a preference on local gun shops in regards to giving you the best value for your "pleasantly used" firearms? I see the Gunstop, Frontiersman and Bill's commonly listed, are there any others? I'm now in St. Paul, so the Gunstop gets to be a bit of a drive, is there anything toward the East of the Cities? I dread Gander Mountain as they are high-priced in my experience.

Your thoughts and opinions are most welcome, hopefully I put this thread in the correct place.

Last edited by EJSG19 on Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

NEVER reduce the flock, only add to it.

RULE # 1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

If you must break rule #1, sell it to someone who isn't a gunstore. It'll be a better price for both of you.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

Well, another time another place I'd never let a gun go if I had the choice. I mean the more guns the better right? That is just understood. I'd like to hang on to that but another $450 out of pocket right now isn't a good idea, I'm sure you've all had those moments too.

Money is tight at the moment, so I have different priorities. Moving back to the thread topic though: although I have been happy with the P90 as a starter gun, I'm looking for something better. Plus I wouldn't know where to start to advertise for myself.

Any recommendations on gun shops?

Last edited by EJSG19 on Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:52 pm 
1911 tainted

princewally wrote:
If you must break rule #1, sell it to someone who isn't a gunstore. It'll be a better price for both of you.

I agree, you will get more than a dealer will offer and the guy that buys it will pay less than from a dealer. Even if the price is close to what a dealer would get, the buyer saves on the sales tax.

So a private sale would probably a win-win for both parties.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:54 pm 
1911 tainted

EJSG19 wrote:
Well, another time another place I'd never let a gun go if I had the choice. I mean the more guns the better right? That is just understood. I'd like to hang on to that but another $450 out of pocket right now isn't a good idea, I'm sure you've all had those moments too.

Money is tight at the moment, so I have different priorities. Moving back to the thread topic though: although I have been happy with the P90 as a starter gun, I'm looking for something better. deletedxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxdeleted
Any recommendations on gun shops?

Just a warning, it looks like you may be offering a firearm for sale which is forbidden here except by a dealer/FFL. You might want to edit your post before it disappears.

Last edited by cobb on Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:56 pm 

I've recently caught wind of some program that will let you get LEO pricing on Glocks from Streichers. Its probably worth a phone call to them. Sometimes they have really good prices on lightly used trade ins too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

hypertech wrote:
I've recently caught wind of some program that will let you get LEO pricing on Glocks from Streichers. Its probably worth a phone call to them. Sometimes they have really good prices on lightly used trade ins too.

Whoa, please explain more...the LEO pricing is very nice.

-Mark

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

PM'd you Cobb, thanks for the head's up, not real excited about selling this thing myself.

I wondered if Streicher's took trade-ins, I knew they had great pricing for LEO's but didn't know how they are toward "civilians". Good to know, thanks!

As a follow up, I've never privately sold a firearm, wouldn't know where to start. Don't want to have my time wasted by low-ball offers, or the guy claiming the gun was defective after the sale or some other hassle. So I figure for the reduced stress, do a trade in. Sure you will have a lower offer than the private sale, thats expected, my question was simply which gunshops do you think consistently offers the highest value for a trade in? Advice is appreciated as always, but info such as hypertech's is more what I am in need of.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:01 pm 

I just got this off a different listserv. I don't know anything more than that:

Quote:
Glock 19 is now on order at Streichers at
a price we civilians seldom see, that's right LEO pricing thru the
GSSF program from Glock, $398.70 plus tax. Sweet!

For a private party sale, do it as is and keep a copy of their purchase permit or carry permit just to be on the safe side.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
PM'd you Cobb, thanks for the head's up, not real excited about selling this thing myself.

I wondered if Streicher's took trade-ins, I knew they had great pricing for LEO's but didn't know how they are toward "civilians". Good to know, thanks!

As a follow up, I've never privately sold a firearm, wouldn't know where to start. Don't want to have my time wasted by low-ball offers, or the guy claiming the gun was defective after the sale or some other hassle. So I figure for the reduced stress, do a trade in. Sure you will have a lower offer than the private sale, thats expected, my question was simply which gunshops do you think consistently offers the highest value for a trade in? Advice is appreciated as always, but info such as hypertech's is more what I am in need of.

I have traded in very few guns but I did trade in a rifle once and of the shops I took it to for quotes,the Frontiersman was the highest offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 4:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

Thanks MNbud

To follow up on hypertech's post: I just got off the phone with Streichers's. The guy said the GSSF program is still going, basically civilians can fill out a couple forms, Streicher's orders the gun from Glock, and civilians get LEO pricing on any model of Glock you want. The kicker is, you can do this once per year. So why wouldn't you take them up on this deal? Good question. I have my Saturday morning planned out now :D trip through Frontiersman, then Streicher's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:52 pm 

I don't think its bad to get rid of a gun, don't we all have evidence, er ahhh, I mean, a gun or two we NEED to dispose of... :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 pm 
Longtime Regular

EJSG19 wrote:
civilians can fill out a couple forms, Streicher's orders the gun from Glock, and civilians get LEO pricing on any model of Glock you want. The kicker is, you can do this once per year. So why wouldn't you take them up on this deal? Good question. I have my Saturday morning planned out now :D trip through Frontiersman, then Streicher's.

1) Civilians drives me batty. LEO's are civilians (yeah, I saw the air quotes :-))

2) They need to do a S&W M&P SSF program like this!!!! I'd be IN!

Last edited by plblark on Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

hypertech wrote:
I just got this off a different listserv. I don't know anything more than that:

Quote:
Glock 19 is now on order at Streichers at
a price we civilians seldom see, that's right LEO pricing thru the
GSSF program from Glock, $398.70 plus tax. Sweet!

For a private party sale, do it as is and keep a copy of their purchase permit or carry permit just to be on the safe side.

I did some googlin'...GSSF is the Glock Shooting Sports Foundation. It appears if you join (at $35 for the first year, $25/year for renewals) you can get a certificate you can take into participating dealers to get this pricing.

A long-ass thread is here.

I almost wish I wanted a Glock just to get the deal.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.