Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:34 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Cobb's gripe 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:49 pm 
Longtime Regular

kecker wrote:
jaysong wrote:
Come on now folks. Only YOU can prevent the loss of your "human right". I know we all have egos but get over it. We need to stick together. That does not mean we all have to agree on everything or even have a love fest for each other but it may mean we need to swallow our pride and be humble once in a while. To put it another way. "Chose the hill you want to die on."

Fair enough, but I'd rather chose the hill I want to LIVE on.

That proves my point. You can live on many hills in your life time but die on only one.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:03 pm 
On time out

I tend to see the two as functions of the same community, with many who share on both sites, and do so often.

There are two needs being met, one is a social reinforcement of the community of Carry and shooting in general. The other site, this one, is the Political education and standards site.

Here people come to post and read a large amount of information directly related to Mn carry law, gun law in general, and the political activism necessary to keep that side running. We read and post about news items, political insurgencies, and other parts that we ALL understand to be vitally important to us all.

The other site, which I will not name here so as to avoid having my words altered, is a social connection site. There is very good information regarding weapon choices, reloading, holsters, and other aspects of the gun world. There is some abuse that goes on, but it tends to be very insider, and it also has changed somewhat in the last month or so with some housecleaning that was done. It serves the purpose that Tip Oneill understood, that is, that all politics are local, and by serving both the grand scheme, and the littlest of those among us, a lot can get done..

Sure, some of the talk at the other place might be silly, but the information passed around on weapon choices, shooting sports, and other items are dead nuts on. Liken it to the neighborhood eatery where you are known and welcome, and where favors and assistance are done without thinking, where when someone said they had someone who needed help, many jumped up and offered it.

(I know Joel and others have donated time and $ to help others, and I am not in the least deprecating that part of this place, but I am trying to get the whole picture across.)

Consider both sites as part of one community, one is the office during work hours, where business gets done, and things are done on the owners standards....consider the other to be where you end up after work, by choice, and with your friends, rehashing the days events and planning the weekend getaway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm a participating member of many sites/forums. Not any I agree with completely and when I don't, I ignore what does not meet my needs from the site and participate to share knowledge or learn from threads that are worth while.

Each are of the two MN forums have their place and I use/participate in both but for different reasons. Variety is the spice of life. :D

Side Guard Holsters
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking" - George S. Patton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Last edited by DeanC on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:01 am 
The Man

1911fan wrote:
(I know Joel and others have donated time and $ to help others, and I am not in the least deprecating that part of this place, but I am trying to get the whole picture across.)
Shhh. Don't let the word get out.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
And, that said, when the Joyce Foundation groups -- you know? the ones funded by the Pres-elect's former organization -- go looking for excuses to pass more silly gun laws, they're probably not going to be pointing to Andy Shapero and company first. By much.

Well, usually the collaborators are the last ones who feel the pain. Usually. Maybe I'm being a tad too harsh.

(See collaborator, definition #2.)

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:36 pm 

"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"

B. Franklin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Dave Pendleton wrote:
"We must all hang together, gentlemen...else, we shall most assuredly hang separately"

B. Franklin

Well, quite frankly, I for one would be happy to watch some of the dregs of the Short Bus Site go up the rope first. As I'm sure some of them would be happy to see me go first.

No great loss, IMNSHO.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:21 am 
The Man

Binky .357 wrote:
Dave Pendleton wrote:

B. Franklin

Well, quite frankly, I for one would be happy to watch some of the dregs of the Short Bus Site go up the rope first. As I'm sure some of them would be happy to see me go first.

No great loss, IMNSHO.
Generally, I think many -- perhaps most, possibly all -- of the most . . . outspoken over at the day care site / short bus site / Mos Eisely of the gun world are pretty harmless, albeit noisy and at least metaphorically noisesome; and I don't see anything wrong with people having hobbies.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:30 am 
The Man

Dave Pendleton wrote:

B. Franklin
Sure. And Franklin got to say it because, well, to use the metaphor from SF fandom, he got his work credits in. So do I; so do you; so do lots of folks.

That said, I long since grew tired of hearing how activism around human rights -- including the RKBA -- ought to be done from people who are often actively opposed to the exercise of human rights, don't ever get their own work credits in, but will insist on trying to hit the brakes from the cheap seats.

Strong language to follow.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:25 am 
Longtime Regular

joelr wrote:
Binky .357 wrote:
Dave Pendleton wrote:

B. Franklin

No great loss, IMNSHO.
Generally, I think many -- perhaps most, possibly all -- of the most . . . outspoken over at the <a href=http://mnguntalk.com>day care site</a> / short bus site / Mos Eisely of the gun world are pretty harmless, albeit noisy and at least metaphorically noisesome; and I don't see anything wrong with people having hobbies.

Joel,

Which of the group is smelly?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

B

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:04 am 
On time out

Better late then never, but as a reader of both forums the obvious difference is expertise. A high percentage of members here are PTC instructors and it shows. If I want to know "where jake shit in the buckwheat", I come here for accurate information.

If I just feel like BS'ing I go to MGT. Also, if I'm trying to buy or sell a firearm, I go to MGT.

One forum is an apple, the other an orange.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

Magnum Mikie wrote:
One forum is an apple, the other an orange.

Or like a mom and a dad. Either can do the job of both when the other's not around, but it's really best to have both.

Wow, now that I'm started thinking about this, this analogy could go on forever. Parents usually complement each other in their individual strengths and weaknesses. One parent might take on more responsibility for raising civil and educated children, while the other might be a lot more fun to hang around with, when he's not in jail.

Maybe we should think of it as divorced parents of an alternate sexual orientation, so we can skip the argument about who's the husband and who's the wife (which reminds me of a funny prison joke, but that would be off topic).

One thing that I hear a lot from people who've recently left a relationship is, "I couldn't possible care less what [the ex] is saying or doing. I don't give it a thought." -- followed by a conversation about nothing else but what an ass the ex is and how everything they're saying is a pack of lies. But, usually, over a period of weeks or months or years, they move on with their life and become tolerable to talk to again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Pat Cannon wrote:

Quote:
reminds me of a funny prison joke

So, when were you in prison? How long? For what?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

westhope wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:
Quote:
reminds me of a funny prison joke

So, when were you in prison? How long? For what?
I was innocent!!

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.