Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Lurker Introduction 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:31 pm 

someone1980 wrote:
Welcome.

Now I am very interested. How does one actually make a primer and a case.

And are tours offered? :)

They used to have a family day but they are so back ordered now that they won't shut down anytime soon for another. I have heard of college students getting tours but I think it may be some kind of mech. engineering program.

CF primers start with a plate of 1000 some empty cups entering the charge room. The powder, kept moist or it is extremely volatile, is like a playdough almost and mushed into a properly sized plate. The plate is cleaned and the pellets are pressed into the cups. It exits the charge room by conveyor and mates with another plate with anvils shaken into holes. It then runs through a press to fully place the anvil inside the cup. Certain paints will be added to hold moisture or identify primer type. It then runs through sensors that eject bad primers and finally is visually inspected as well. We rotate positions which keep us fresh from what would quickly become a very monotonous job. I really enjoy it though. The day goes by fairly quickly and the 3 day work week is nice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Awesome! Thanks for the information!

exdrinker wrote:
someone1980 wrote:
Welcome.

Now I am very interested. How does one actually make a primer and a case.

And are tours offered? :)

They used to have a family day but they are so back ordered now that they won't shut down anytime soon for another. I have heard of college students getting tours but I think it may be some kind of mech. engineering program.

CF primers start with a plate of 1000 some empty cups entering the charge room. The powder, kept moist or it is extremely volatile, is like a playdough almost and mushed into a properly sized plate. The plate is cleaned and the pellets are pressed into the cups. It exits the charge room by conveyor and mates with another plate with anvils shaken into holes. It then runs through a press to fully place the anvil inside the cup. Certain paints will be added to hold moisture or identify primer type. It then runs through sensors that eject bad primers and finally is visually inspected as well. We rotate positions which keep us fresh from what would quickly become a very monotonous job. I really enjoy it though. The day goes by fairly quickly and the 3 day work week is nice.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.