Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:28 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Training for Legislators 
 Post subject: Training for Legislators
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:57 am 
Longtime Regular

I decided to do something proactive on my own, partly because my local representatives are all pro gun and have voted that way and partly to get my feet wet in this thing.

I have contacted some of my state and federal reps and offered them a pro bono carry permit class. As yet I have not received any replies, and expect that some time next week they will get around to contacting me.

While some of you may know if any of these reps currently hold a permit, John Klein, Michelle Bachmann, Julianne Ortman & Paul Kohls are my first group but I would be willing to work with anyone who wishes to try to educate our reps so that we can perhaps bring some reason instead of emotions to the debate.

If anyone else thinks this could be a viable tool to lead our metaphorical horses to water, let’s see if we can cover the whole lege with invitations and see how many are willing to listen to a presentation and who are simply closed minded.

Thoughts anyone?

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:53 pm 
Delicate Flower

Excellent idea.........
I would suggest one person coordinate the sending of invites so we don't duplicate efforts, and maybe a list of upcoming classes in the area including instructor info.

Do we have to charge some type of nominal fee to ensure it is legal?

Count me in. Maybe we should be addressing this now before the leg is back in session.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:54 pm 

I for one think that it would be a great idea. Good job in taking the first step to lead them to the watering hole.
If any of them do take you up on your offer I would be willing to donate ammunition for them to qualify with and or my time...

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

Michelle Bachmann has hers already :D

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

mostlylawabidingcitizen wrote:
Michelle Bachmann has hers already :D

Mostly-

I thought she did, but I wasn't going to miss a "friendly"

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:34 pm 
Longtime Regular

I would be interested in assisting the the District 18 and 18B area's.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:08 pm 
1911 tainted

I'd be interested in doing something like that down in southern Minnesota. I know Tony Cornish already has one, his picture was in the Mankato Free Press when he was filling out the application in 2003.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:59 pm 
The Man

Excellent -- and a prime example of the sort of stuff The New Thing should be: don't wait for other folks to get on board before going out and doing good stuff.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Training for Legislators
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:41 pm 
Longtime Regular

Selurcspi wrote:
...John Klein, Michelle Bachmann, Julianne Ortman & Paul Kohls are my first group...

Ortman and Hoppe are my senator and representative. Can I come and help? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

A link from almost a year ago regarding this (somewhat) subject. :wink:

http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/vi ... egislators

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:06 pm 
Delicate Flower

How about something like this for the contact letter ?

Quote:
Dear _________

We of the Twin Cities Carry community would like to invite you to attend one of our Permit to Carry Classes held throughout the state. Whether you currently have a Permit to Carry, are interested in obtaining one, or would like to observe the training being conducted we would encourage you to attend.

By identifying yourself as a legislator or government official there would be no charge for the class. Attached is a list of the participating instructors throughout the state and a schedule of classes for the next 3 months.

Further information can be obtained by contacting myself, the appropriate instructor or on our forum @ http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22.

Sincerely,

Arvid A. Activist
651-000-0000 0r arvid@tccarry.com

Again I would suggest that we coordinate so that we don't duplicate efforts and/or end up sending multiples. We should have a list of instructors and their classes available as well as a running list of people contacted.

I have an over abundance of space on my website available for posting lists.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think this is an excellent idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 4:23 pm 
Longtime Regular

Also as a non-instructor, I'm on board to help in any way possible.

-Gen. William Thornson, U.S. Army

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 5:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

ttousi wrote:
How about something like this for the contact letter ?

Quote:
Dear _________

We of the Twin Cities Carry community would like to invite you to attend one of our Permit to Carry Classes held throughout the state. Whether you currently have a Permit to Carry, are interested in obtaining one, or would like to observe the training being conducted we would encourage you to attend.

By identifying yourself as a legislator or government official there would be no charge for the class. Attached is a list of the participating instructors throughout the state and a schedule of classes for the next 3 months.

Further information can be obtained by contacting myself, the appropriate instructor or on our forum @ http://www.twincitiescarry.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22.

Sincerely,

Arvid A. Activist
651-000-0000 0r arvid@tccarry.com

Again I would suggest that we coordinate so that we don't duplicate efforts and/or end up sending multiples. We should have a list of instructors and their classes available as well as a running list of people contacted.

I have an over abundance of space on my website available for posting lists.

Here's what I sent to my four, perhaps we can make a composite of these two and some other ideas and come up with something that will hit home.

Quote:
Dear Representative Name Here,

I run a small personal defense training organization and as we have seen a major change in the makeup of our representation in government at both the local and Federal level I foresee some changes coming down the road in the area of gun control leading to the erosion of our second amendment rights. To this end, I am taking it upon myself to offer some firearms education to any and all elected officials, on a pro bono basis, who would have an interest in firearms at any level, whether they are pro or con in the debate. I believe that training in this area will allow for educated decisions rather than emotional ones.

I do not know at this time if you are a Minnesota Carry Permit holder, but if you are not I would like to offer to you an opportunity to complete the required training and to encourage you to apply for and maintain a Carry permit, at least in part to show support for this important legislation and to afford yourself and your family the personal protection that cannot be provided by our law enforcement agencies due to their inability to be everywhere at once.

If you have an interest in this class, please contact me and I will be pleased to set up a class that would fit your schedule.

Many Thanks

Andrew.....

Of course you can join the party, providing there is one to join. :D :D

But no stealing my thunder :evil: :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:08 pm 
Longtime Regular

Have course, will travel... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.