Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:45 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Training for Legislators 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:24 pm 
Forum Moderator

I would do my part in the NW tundra...

Contact us to schedule a class for you and your friends, and check our website for more information http://shootingsafely.com

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Maybe reaching out to someone in a high crime zone, but on the far left, would be a good idea. (Think Ellison)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:18 am 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Maybe reaching out to someone in a high crime zone, but on the far left, would be a good idea. (Think Ellison)

My thought is invite all of them to a class, right down to your local school board. It serves two purposes, it educates the ignorant out there and identifies those who will stand against 2A. We have to start somewhere, I chose my local 4 for simple reasons, as noted in my original post. I don't intend stopping with just 4.

UT BCI Certified Conceal/Carry Instructor

"If you expect the police to always be able to protect you, why are the ones who show up at crimes called 'detectives' instead of 'defenders'? Detectives try to find a criminal after they've committed a crime."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:24 am 
Longtime Regular

Beginning to think, as instructors doing this as a concerted effort would be a better idea than we think. It being not only important to the MPPA, but to citizen rights in general.

Paul I think had a wonderful idea also with his "media" days that he attempted to have in the past as well.

How could these be incorporated together?

Also, because of campaign contribution laws, would a token charge have to be made to a public official?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:29 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:
Beginning to think, as instructors doing this as a concerted effort would be a better idea than we think. It being not only important to the MPPA, but to citizen rights in general.

Paul I think had a wonderful idea also with his "media" days that he attempted to have in the past as well.

How could these be incorporated together?

Also, because of campaign contribution laws, would a token charge have to be made to a public official?

Just my .02 but I would have the media and politicians at a different time and place. I cannot imagine the havoc that a room full of media for politicians to try to impress with their posturing. I would think it would be an unteachable group due to the politicians trying to impress the media for publication.

I would think that two separate groups would be the idea.

"For those who fight for it, freedom has a flavor the protected will never know."
-Unknown

Honorably Discharged member of Uncle Sam's Underwater Canoe Club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:04 am 
Longtime Regular

farmerj wrote:

Good question. I'm not a lawyer, and I may have this completely wrong, but...

I've been looking at it, and it appears that because the learning would directly help the legislators in decisions making on the issue, we would not need to charge.

On the other hand, if they are issued a certificate, that indicates a private benefit, not a public one, and it may change the formula.

In any case, the rules seem to apply only to registered lobbying organizations and people acting in concert with them. If unaffiliated individuals do it, it might fall under other rules, but not campaign finance.

Hey, where's a lawyer when we need one?

I'll post some of the relevant documentation later today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:25 am 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
farmerj wrote:

Good question. I'm not a lawyer, and I may have this completely wrong, but...

I've been looking at it, and it appears that because the learning would directly help the legislators in decisions making on the issue, we would not need to charge.

On the other hand, if they are issued a certificate, that indicates a private benefit, not a public one, and it may change the formula.

If instructors need to charge for legal reasons, could the instructor charge a token $1 fee, and then a private citizen (like me!) make a campagin contribution of $1 to cover that fee?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

ChillyW wrote:
If instructors need to charge for legal reasons, could the instructor charge a token $1 fee, and then a private citizen (like me!) make a campagin contribution of $1 to cover that fee?

Naw. Other rulings have held that if they have to be charged, they have to be charged the same as everyone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:16 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
ChillyW wrote:

Naw. Other rulings have held that if they have to be charged, they have to be charged the same as everyone else.

Darn.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

Give them the training for free, but make the certificate normal price.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 2:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

chunkstyle wrote:
Give them the training for free, but make the certificate normal price.

That's my take.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 pm 
Site Admin

I would word the invitation (especially towards those who are on the opposed side) to say something like "learn what it requires to get the permit so you can make an informed decision" rather than "get a permit for free because you're a legislator".

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Couple more names for you....
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:30 pm 

Don't forget Pat Pariseau (Senate) and Mary Liz Holberg (House) who helped drive the new carry law through-- both times!

And the spelling is Rep. John Kline incidentally.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 9:02 am 
Raving Moderate

SethB wrote:
I would word the invitation (especially towards those who are on the opposed side) to say something like "learn what it requires to get the permit so you can make an informed decision" rather than "get a permit for free because you're a legislator".

That's a good point. No need to play into the anti plan anymore than necessary. ("Dear God! They're GIVING the training to just anyone?")

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

Last edited by Jeremiah on Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 10:40 am 
Longtime Regular

Pilgrim, why are you quoting yourself? :roll:

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.