Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Report on Dec 16 meeting 
 Post subject: Report on Dec 16 meeting
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:59 pm 
Wise Elder

For the benefit of those of us who are out of town, what was discussed and what was decided?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Anything is better than CCRN/GOCRA! :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A whole lot of something, is better than a whole lot of NOTHING :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow, that didn't take long at all, did it?

If I understood correctly, The New Thing is an idea to be more inclusive and provide direction / advice not marching orders or edicts.

Joe and Tim have done invaluable work. They have achieved results. Some may not be happy with their methods. Some may be worried about ulterior motives. Some may want to be more involved and less constrained. Some may be looking to learn how to help while being responsible to themselves.

I don't see anything to gain by opening the Us Vs. Them can again.

As to discussion / decision. There were a lot of separate discussions but very little in the way of decisions that I am aware of. I got the feeling that Joel getting very ill had a lot to do with that.

Joel presented his outlook on our focus (don't lose ground.) and a time frame for changes (Not now). The door prizes were well received and we got to meet a lot of members we otherwise might not have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

And there was beer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

A Brit in MN wrote:

Well, no, actually.

CCRN plus "The New Thing' is better than either one alone. There is more than one way to do things, and fighting battles on multiple fronts has its advantages.

The only negative that could come out of the two organizations would be the false perception, among legislators and antis, that the gun rights community is fractured.

It's not. In fact, it's pretty clear that there will be a lot of crossover, and even collaboration, between the organizations. And that's a good thing.

Hell, CCRN's official spokesman and all-around good guy, John Caile, was at the event, as was Randy, a longtime CCRN activist.

Anyone who thinks they can drive a wedge into the community by exploiting the subtle differences in philosophy between the groups is likely to be very surprised.

We all do talk, you know, even if we don't agree all the time. And our personal differences pale against our common desire to maintain and advance our rights.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:33 pm 
Longtime Regular

Judging from the turnout there was a great deal of interest in contributing to furthering Carry and 2nd Amendment rights.

There was very little formal discussion, and you have probably seen most of that on the forum in various places.

The big thing for me was meeting new people, and seeing some others again. That and we got one young lady a free permit to carry class, that she and her husband are very excited about her making use of.

Had fun and enable one more person to get their permit. I have also seen an uptick in the excited (in a good way) posts. Now is the time to try to get people active.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:55 pm 
Longtime Regular

United we stand divided we fall… Anyone with a permit to carry is a member of the same club as far as I am concerned. I don’t give a shit about which org has the most instructors or which org “thinks” they have the best instructors; all that matters is that the citizens of MN can obtain a permit to carry and carry in as many places as possible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:04 am 
Longtime Regular

tepin wrote:
United we stand divided we fall… Anyone with a permit to carry is a member of the same club as far as I am concerned. I don’t give a shit about which org has the most instructors or which org “thinks” they have the best instructors; all that matters is that the citizens of MN can obtain a permit to carry and carry in as many places as possible.
Hear hear! I mean +1. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:23 pm 
The Man

A Brit in MN wrote:
A whole lot of something, is better than a whole lot of NOTHING :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
With the second, I agree, heartily.

I couldn't disagree more with the first. CCRN/GOCRA has done terrific things, and willl likely continue to do terrific things. I don't think the pro-gun movement in Minnesota would be other than harmed if it went away tomorrow.

Could things be done better there? Sure; I think so. (Was that a surprise to anybody?) But do let's remember that without CCRN/GOCRA pushing the ball forward, the MCPPA would not have passed in either 2003 or 2005. (And, yup, it wasn't done by CCRN alone -- but it wouldn't have been done without CCRN.)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Hopefully everyone will keep the spirit of the season in the future. It looks like there will be plenty of oppositon to argue with next session. Hopefully no energy will be expended arguing with people we basically agree with.

It was earlier suggested that maybe John Caille would do a seminar on how to be a convincing ambassador for the firearms cause. What to say and what not to say. Sound bite training I guess. Maybe it would be good if there were a large number of people who could be counted on to tesify at legislative hearings.

I left early, maybe something was said later. That might be a good way to get everyone on the same page. Maybe after a CCRN Meeting?

Last edited by Dick Unger on Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
It was earlier suggested that maybe John Caille would do a seminar on how to be a convincing ambassador for the firearms cause. What to say and what not to say. Sound bite training I guess. Maybe it wuld be good if there were a large number of people who could be counted on to tesify at legislative hearings.

This would be very useful.

After a CCRN meeting is usally too late at night for me.

Post subject: Re: Report on Dec 16 meeting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
For the benefit of those of us who are out of town, what was discussed and what was decided?

I was there from six until shortly after nine, so anything after that I don't know about.

Anyhow, it was more of a meet and greet get together session than a meeting. It was a chance for those of us who hang out on the forum to get together, meet each other and swap a few lies while having good drinks (that Youngs Double Chocolate Stout is something!) and OK food.

I don't think the idea of this was to discuss or decide anything, and little seems to have been discussed and even less decided. However, everything has to start somewhere.

I still don't think that it is clear what "The New Thing" will end up looking like. Other meetings, more substantive, will probably be held, and only then will a direction or a focus will become more clear.

Post subject: Re: Report on Dec 16 meeting
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 7:11 pm 
Longtime Regular

Old Dude wrote:
I still don't think that it is clear what "The New Thing" will end up looking like. Other meetings, more substantive, will probably be held, and only then will a direction or a focus will become more clear.

It will look like what we make it look like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:32 pm 
Journeyman Member

Next time, we need a uniform standard.

I vote for party hats.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:47 pm 

Wow, I get to make the first 2007 post in The New Thing area!

So, the December 16 was a social gathering with no specific outcomes? I understand this soft approach of "....no marching orders....", but wasn't there something of substance I missed by not being able to attend?

Any plan for the future that I could latch on to? (other than beer and sandwiches)

Anyone? Anyone?

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.