Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Subversive 4th of July Picnic idea: Shooting Gallery 
 Post subject: Subversive 4th of July Picnic idea: Shooting Gallery
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:33 am 

With the 4th quickly approaching, this thread from TheHighRoad caught my eye. I live in a neighborhood that probably wouldn't go for this sort of thing, but some here likely do.

Subversive 4th of July Picnic idea: The return of the shooting gallery.

geekWithA.45 on thehighroad.us wrote:
For nearly 50 years, our neighborhood has had a quasi official block party, which includes food, fun, a parade, and games and prizes for the kids.

I'm thinking this year, there's going to be an airsoft shooting gallery booth on my front lawn.

I'm considering two: a plinking range, with spinners, knock down ducks and the like, and a "target" range for scored target shooting, maybe with a few cheapo trophies for high score in various age ranged divisions.

I'm thinking if we can iron out the details, we can make a "howto" pdf, and folks can roll these things into their own local festivities.

So, practical questions:

A) Has anyone ever run anything like this? What worked, what didn't?
B) For the "plinking" range, the more interesting the stuff to shoot is, the more attention/fun it will draw. Is there a collection of directions on making cheap but interesting active targets that are easy to reset?
C) For the target range, considering most will be n00bs, what's a challenging but appropriate distance and target size?
D) What's the best model airsoft rifle for this purpose?

Also, I'm planning it to be a "stealth" excercise. There will be no NRA or gun rights prosyletizing, just "Good, clean, old fashioned American fun."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:40 am 

I would. People don't have to Like it, they don't have to go shoot there. You may also find fellow fire-arms owners that you didn't know were your neighbors!

After all it's air-soft!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 1:55 pm 

If you want to go 'big' contact the DNR guys and see if they'll haul out a lasershot booth for your event :wink: The kids (and adults) will never leave your yard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Try it on National Night Out Against Crime! (Tuesday August 7)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I love the idea, but...

Check you local ordinances! In some municipalities, it's just plain illegal to shoot even AirSoft inside city limits -- depends on how they define firearms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I love the idea, but...

Check you local ordinances! In some municipalities, it's just plain illegal to shoot even AirSoft inside city limits -- depends on how they define firearms.

Ramsey Cunty again :roll: :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Targets...

Tie some string or cord between two posts then you can use clothes pins to attach Saltine Crackers (Takes a lot to knock them off)

Get some practice golf balls and run a cord through them and hang them from the cord - they dance around pretty well when hit and no resetting required.

Have the kids draw their own target -

All of the above were BIG hits with the scouts.

Make up a picture to show proper sight alignment to show the kids.

Mostly-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:33 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
I love the idea, but...

Commies!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:44 pm 

A Brit in MN wrote:

You must not have your spell check running. I am sure you meant "County". :lol:

"Undoubtedly some think the Second Amendment is outmoded in a society where our standing army is the pride of our Nation, where well-trained police forces provide personal security, and where gun violence is a serious problem. That is perhaps debatable, but what is not debatable is that it is not the role of this Court to pronounce the Second Amendment extinct."--Justice Scalia

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:11 pm 

aypstony wrote:
A Brit in MN wrote:

You must not have your spell check running. I am sure you meant "County". :lol:

Looks like its spelled right to me!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:51 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Looks like its spelled right to me!

It looks just fine to me also. I have argued for years that Country Kitchen had one to many "o"s in its name.

:wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:55 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
Minn. Stat. 609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS
Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the
following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(6) outside of a municipality and without the parent's or guardian's consent, furnishes a child under 14 years of age, or as a parent or guardian permits the child to handle or use, outside of the parent's or guardian's presence, a firearm or airgun of any kind, or any ammunition or explosive. Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under clause (6).
[...]
Subd. 1b. Felony; furnishing to minors. Whoever, in any municipality of this state, furnishes a minor under 18 years of age with a firearm, airgun, ammunition, or explosive without the prior consent of the minor's parent or guardian or of the police department of the municipality is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both. Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under this subdivision.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:59 am 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
Quote:
Minn. Stat. 609.66 DANGEROUS WEAPONS
Subdivision 1. Misdemeanor and gross misdemeanor crimes. (a) Whoever does any of the
following is guilty of a crime and may be sentenced as provided in paragraph (b):
(6) [...]
Subd. 1b. Felony; furnishing to minors. Whoever, in any municipality of this state, furnishes a minor under 18 years of age with a firearm, airgun, ammunition, or explosive without the prior consent of the minor's parent or guardian or of the police department of the municipality is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than ten years or to payment of a fine of not more than $20,000, or both. Possession of written evidence of prior consent signed by the minor's parent or guardian is a complete defense to a charge under this subdivision.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that you'd best make sure your ducks are all in a row.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying that you'd best make sure your ducks are all in a row.

I am glad you didnt highlight how punny you are... otherwise I'd have to make you read the view of Maddox (from The Best Page In The Internet) on puns. (some language may not be suitable for work.)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.