Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 Support Matt Bostrom for Sheriff 
 Post subject: Support Matt Bostrom for Sheriff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 11:56 am 
The Man

I've just gotten off the phone with Matt Bostrom. I spoke to him for the first time this last Saturday night.

He's sent me an advance copy of this statement, which will go up on his campaign website soon -- it's a matter of him having to work two jobs, and campaign, not a lack of urgency, he says, and I believe him -- and he's specifically authorized me to share it, publicly.

Matt Bostrom wrote:
I have sworn to uphold the Constitutions of the US and the State of MN . I will also consistently, fairly, and equally support and enforce the Statutes of the State of Minnesota. Therefore, individual rights, whether they are the right to religion and free speech, due process under the law, keep and bear arms, or any of the other rights recognized by the Bill of Rights, ought not be subject to the whims of any elected official, including the Sheriff of Ramsey County.

The legislature of the State of Minnesota recognizes the Second Amendment of the United States Constitution and guarantees the fundamental, individual right to keep and bear arms. The Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act the law clarifies these rights for Minnesotans.

Regarding the granting and denial of handgun carry permits:
(a) The sheriff must, within 30 days after the date of receipt of the application packet described in subdivision 3:
(1) issue the permit to carry;
(2) deny the application for a permit to carry solely on the grounds that the applicant failed to qualify under the criteria described in subdivision 2, paragraph (b); or
(3) deny the application on the grounds that there exists a substantial likelihood that the applicant is a danger to self or the public if authorized to carry a pistol under a permit.

The law is quite specific and leaves no doubt as to the interpretation. Therefore, as sheriff, I would issue permits within 30 days to applicants who meet the criteria set forth in subdivision 2, paragraph (b). Denials will be rare and only used for clearly articulable facts directly related to specific public safety concerns, as prescribed by statute, and never as a political tool. Under my administration, the Ramsey County Sheriff will have a rate of granting permits consistent with those of other Minnesota sheriffs, because the people of Ramsey County are as responsible and law-abiding as those in the 87 other counties.

In addition, Subd. 3 (f) says: The sheriff may charge a new application processing fee in an amount not to exceed the actual and reasonable direct cost of processing the application or $100, whichever is less. Other sheriffs, notably Sheriff Hutton in Washington County, have found that they've been able to lower their permit fees below the maximum. I don't -- yet -- know if Ramsey County can. Therefore, I will conduct audits to make sure that the fees for permits reflect the actual costs accrued in the process, and that the costs do not unduly burden any citizen -- regardless of socio-economic standing.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Support Matt Bostrom for Sheriff
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:39 pm 
Raving Moderate

Posted here:
http://www.mattbostrom.org/pdf/open-letter-from-matt-bostrom-second-amendment.pdf

Good on him for taking a stand publicly.

My real name is Jeremiah (go figure). ;)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:42 pm 
The Man

:) Moss doesn't grow on him.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:12 am 
Longtime Regular

Well, it's well hidden I think. I went to mattbostrom.org and cannot find it. :shock: I think it's ment for a rather select audience....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:29 am 
Raving Moderate

Dick Unger wrote:
Well, it's well hidden I think. I went to mattbostrom.org and cannot find it. :shock: I think it's ment for a rather select audience....

Odd. It was in the "news" feed on his front page yesterday.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeremiah wrote:
Dick Unger wrote:

Odd. It was in the "news" feed on his front page yesterday.

OK found it. Well, alright!! I'll stop being skeptical....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:51 pm 
Raving Moderate

Dick Unger wrote:
OK found it. Well, alright!! I'll stop being skeptical....

I'll believe *that* when I see it... :D

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:18 am 

Voted for Matt! Not trying to bother anyone but I applied for my permit and was denied due to a dwi back in 2006 which I didnt think would disqualify me saying I am a danger to myself or others which seems to be a problem in Ramsey. I have been a security officer for over 10 years never been in any other trouble and cant seem to understand how this could happen. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to proceed with this as I cannot afford a lawyer and was looking into filing a petition for reconsideration myself. Now that Bostrom got Fletcher out would it be better to wait and reapply once he takes office since he says he will change things with the super high denial rate?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:06 am 
The Man

I'd wait until he takes office, and then reapply. Matt will treat you fairly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:03 am 

Thanks for the response!

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.