Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:25 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 "Ramsey county bans firearms..." 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
bkrafft wrote:
The alternative to just ignoring their silly sign is sending the Ramsey County Board of Commissioners the following letter:

Letter sent and bcc'd to David G, Joel R and kimberman.

:thumbsup: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:

Here's a shocker; I have received no reply whatsoever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

bkrafft wrote:
bkrafft wrote:

Relax. It'll take their lawyers a while to read it over and find a way around it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:56 am 

Quote:
Relax. It'll take their lawyers a while to read it over and find a way around it.

I'll second that. As a FORMER RC employee who took a carry issue up the chain and eventually to the CA Gaertner herself, it took me over 4 months to get a response that could have been answered in 2 minutes with the references I provided. In other words...don't hold your breath.
To answer any questions, the answer was along the lines of what you would expect in Ramsey County.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

bensdad wrote:
bkrafft wrote:
bkrafft wrote:

I was hoping to have a reply before the election. I am off work that day, so I will be able to carry to the polling place. I will defer to the judgement of others as to whether this would be productive, but I'm willing to be a test case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:03 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think, you stepping up to be a test case is very honorable , perhaps you could test the post office on your way home from the polls. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:
I think, you stepping up to be a test case is very honorable , perhaps you could test the post office on your way home from the polls. :)

...And do it all with a long-gun?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

MNBud wrote:

Mmm, the only problem with that is that I work there, and they would fire me, so not until I hit a dekamega dollar powerball. When that happens I'm putting Joe, David and Joel on retainer for a few years . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:56 pm 
Wise Elder

No. None of this is productive.

JimBob says "You all keep poking that snake and it's gonna strike."

Remember that the 2009 Legislature will have veto proof DFL majorities in BOTH houses.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

Okely dokely. It just <I>really</i> pisses me off that our civil rights are being disregarded like this. As far as I'm concerned, this is right up there with segregated drinking fountains and 'back of the bus' laws.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:12 am 
Poet Laureate

bkrafft wrote:
Okely dokely. It just <I>really</i> pisses me off that our civil rights are being disregarded like this. As far as I'm concerned, this is right up there with segregated drinking fountains and 'back of the bus' laws.

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

Finally a reply:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Krafft,

Thank you for contacting the Board about this issue. I appreciate your concern. The Ramsey County Attorney's Office has advised the Ramsey County Board that the ordinance prohibiting guns on County property is valid and enforceable. Locations where Ramsey County conducts the election are considered Ramsey County property during the election. As a result, prohibiting guns at those locations on election day is consistent with the ordinance. If you would like further information as to the basis for the County Attorney's opinion, you may contact Darwin Lookingbill, the Director of the Civil Division.

I appreciate your concern and appreciate your being in touch.

Sincerely,

Jan Parker

Opinions requested: Should I pursue this or just let this sleeping dog lie?

Jan Parker is the Board Chair, representing Lauderdale, Little Canada, Mounds View (Precinct 4), New Brighton, Roseville, and St. Anthony.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
The Ramsey County Attorney's Office has advised the Ramsey County Board that the ordinance prohibiting guns on County property is valid and enforceable.

Get better attorneys, Ramsey County. The legislature disagrees.
Quote:
471.633 FIREARMS.
The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a city
of the first class, county, town, municipal corporation, or other governmental subdivision, or any
of their instrumentalities, to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the
complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them except that:
(a) a governmental subdivision may regulate the discharge of firearms; and
(b) a governmental subdivision may adopt regulations identical to state law.
Local regulation inconsistent with this section is void.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:15 am 
Wise Elder

Quote:
If you would like further information as to the basis for the County Attorney's opinion, you may contact Darwin Lookingbill, the Director of the Civil Division.

Sure, ask for his reasoning in writing. We might as well lock them down.

P. S. Susan Gertner is running for DFL nomination for Governor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

So here is the draft of my letter to Mr. Lookingbill:
Quote:
Dear Mr. Lookingbill,

As you can see from my earlier correspondence (below) I am writing you concerning Ramsey County's belief that "the ordinance prohibiting guns on County property is valid and enforceable" when MN Statute 471.633 states:

"The legislature preempts all authority of a home rule charter or statutory city including a ... county ... to regulate firearms, ammunition, or their respective components to the complete exclusion of any order, ordinance or regulation by them...."

and MN Statute 624.714 subd. 23 states:

"Exclusivity. This section sets forth the complete and exclusive criteria and procedures for the issuance of permits to carry and establishes their nature and scope. No sheriff, police chief, governmental unit, government official, government employee, or other person or body acting under color of law or governmental authority may change, modify, or supplement these criteria or procedures, or limit the exercise of a permit to carry."

County Commission Chair Parker said I should contact you for the basis of this opinion.

I thank-you in advance for your time and consideration in this matter.

Sincerely,

Bruce W. Krafft

Suggestions or comments?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.