Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:30 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 
 MCPPA in City Pages 
 Post subject: MCPPA in City Pages
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:30 pm 

Joel even gets a pic in the online version

http://www.citypages.com/2008-10-08/new ... stalemate/

Not sure how seriously I can even take the rest of the article with a line like this, though.

Quote:
More recently, Martin Treptow allegedly shot and injured an undercover cop during a misunderstanding over a traffic stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:52 pm 
Longtime Regular

Not the best, but not the worst.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:10 pm 
The Man

I thought it was a decent article, all in all. I think Ward should have mentioned that Dean Johnson -- who he quotes as an opponent in 2003 -- changed his mind and voted for it in 2005, as that's a part of the pattern.

But it's a decent article, anyway.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

Wow. Not sure I should be flattered by the "thin goteed man" comment or not, but I think he kinda portrayed the entire experience pretty well.

I don't necessarily feel outed, either.

Gonna have to get a hard copyof this one.

"We're either gonna be the best of friends or there's gonna be a whole lotta shootin' goin' on."

"I think it's a good thing for serving cops to mix with non-cops in a situation where they understand that they aren't in charge." -JoelR

"You'd be amazed at the things a bullet can stop." -Old Irish Proverb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:43 pm 

While I agree with Joel that it was a decent article I was disappointed that the accompanying picture showed him not shooting a snubby, but some 4" hogleg. :P

At least it was a revolver. :D

Short and stocky? The author doesn't know stocky!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:45 am 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
At least one business has even decided to post a sign encouraging permit holders to carry their pistols inside. Cheri Kappas, co-owner of the Gopher Bar in St. Paul, says she originally put up a tongue-in-cheek sign discouraging pistol carriers, but after an armed robbery, U of M art students drew up a new sign for her that depicts a gopher holding a gun and says, "Permit holders welcome here."

Pakrat, are you a U of M art student? :) This is the Gopher Bar sign. Pakrat is the artist; I was the delivery boy.

You never know what effect even small bits of activism will have. Nice work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:06 pm 

Overall I thought it was a decent story, but in the paper version they ran a bold type blurb between paragraphs that irked me, something on the order of,

"There are no reports of a permitted carrier deterring an assault."

I fear this misinformation is now going to become a baseline of the debate, similar to the "10 kids a day" or the "40 times more likely" baloney.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

Jeff Bergquist wrote:
I fear this misinformation is now going to become a baseline of the debate, similar to the "10 kids a day" or the "40 times more likely" baloney.

One way to answer to "43 times more likely" statistic is to point out that using the same data and method shows that in homes <I>without</i> a firearm you are <a href=http://guncite.com/gun_control_gcdgaga.html target=new><I><B>99 times</i></b> more likely</a> to kill a family member than an intruder. So using their own (bogus) methodology you can show that you are more than twice as safe with a gun as without.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:36 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Pakrat, are you a U of M art student? :) This is the Gopher Bar sign. Pakrat is the artist; I was the delivery boy.

I am not a UofM art student, and have never been a student there. Oh well.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:14 am 
Longtime Regular

The article was a stalemate, the MCPPA is not.

It's funny how the MCPPA is not credited with a single self-defensive use, yet it does get credit for some crimes to which it did not contribute.

The tripe from Heather Martins and showman Wes was offset by the Joel's remarks (end of page 2) that avoidance is the first line of defense.

Joel - how would you describe the attitude of Ward Rubrecht toward people who carry? Saints? Deranged lunatics? Rambo wannabes? Normal people who want to be their own first-responders? Was he open to people having diverse reasons as to why they carry or do you feel he places all permit holders in the looney-box?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 10 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.