Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:09 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Worst case scenario...... 
 Post subject: Worst case scenario......
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:00 am 
On time out

I'm still a little optimistic that McCain can win this thing, but I'm very concerned about what will happen IF Obama wins. If Obama wins along with other Dem candidates running for congress and senate seats, this means that liberals will basically control the federal AND state governments. Do you guys have any opinions of how this scenario will affect the 2A and our ability to carry for protection? What time-frame are we looking at if any?

This coming election is very important for our economy too, but I can't help but think about how this election may affect our right to bear arms.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:07 am 
Longtime Regular

First:

Then:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:02 pm 
Longtime Regular

^^^^ +1 and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another. Stop reload. And another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another and another.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:20 pm 

Don't worry about 2A. Obama will just redistribute your wealth so you won't have money to buy guns or ammo. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:41 am 
Poet Laureate

Well, for the record, I don't have the money, but before the election I will be securing at least one lower and several "high capacity" rifle and pistol magazines. At the very least, it'll become an investment. At most, well... lets hope they don't ever have to "come in handy".

Can you tell who I think is going to win?

:cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:21 am 

I worry they, congress, will impose a $10 tax on each round of ammo purchased, including much higher taxes on the ingredients and implements for those who make there own.

Your thoughts...

Post subject: Re Distribute Wealth
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:55 am 

Take an Example from a few years ago. Luxary Boats. Didn't they add a boat Tax that wiped out a boat Builder here in Minnesota? Net result 300 people laid off and no New taxes? That one worked well!

Now Obama wants to ReDistribute wealth.
There are about 280 Million people in this Country. 95% are gonna Get somthing from the 5%.
This means (without a calculator)maybe 250 million will get a "check".
Exxon/Mobil made 12 Billion last year. Lets take that 12 Billion and distribute it among the Roughly 250 Million people who are "Needy".
No profit for Exxon, Stockholders Bail out and the company fails. How many just got laid off?
Now think about the gas taxes paid to the Gov by Exxon. I have heard it said that the company makes about 4% per gallon of regulat gas. The fed government (it is said) gets about 15-16 % tax per gallon of gas.
Now back to the check. 12 billion and 250 million.
looks like I'm getting a check for about $50?

Somebody help me here. For getting $50 check I can wipe out Exxon, lay off probably Thousands of people and take a 48 billion dollar check (gas taxes paid on the gasoline to the Federal gov away so they will probably raise my taxes to cover the 48 billion dollar loss in revenue.

I/We need help!

Steve

Steve (thinking out loud)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:01 am 
Longtime Regular

My guess is they ( the Democrats)will try to mandate some sort of liability insurance on firearms. And maybe some sort of expensive permit system along with a tax system and of course eliminate the evil black rifles. Obama won't take you guns. The new fairer system will.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:19 pm 

gunflint wrote:
My guess is they ( the Democrats)will try to mandate some sort of liability insurance on firearms. And maybe some sort of expensive permit system along with a tax system and of course eliminate the evil black rifles. Obama won't take you guns. The new fairer system will.

On the positive side, I'm looking forward to the Fairness Doctrine being implemented.. requiring a pro-second amendment spokesperson an equal amount of time for each anti-gun rant.
sorry.... dreaming again

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:36 pm 
Longtime Regular

You know I've been wondering about that myself. Conservatives would lose Rush, Hannity, laura,etc but there getting boring anyway. Would it also mean an end to PBS, NPR, etc. Would the MSM have to cover issues fairly? Ha, Ha, ha, I like to dream once and a while myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:11 pm 

I am unfortunately not as optimistic as you; I think Nov 4 will result in a humiliating loss for McCain. I think it will be akin to Carter's and Mondale's losses to Reagan.
I also think we will see alot of seats in congress picked up by democrats. On top of that we could potentially see a couple of conservative Supreme Court Justices replaced in the next two terms which is truly frightening to think that all three branches of our government could be controlled by liberal democrats.

Back to the topic, I think we will see at the a new AWB, probably one worded like the one they tried this last year. Don't be surprised if there is legislation passed that requires the registration of all firearms. People on these boards seem to frequently talk about hiding firearms or claiming they were all lost/stolen/sold/etc. That won't be as viable an option if possessing an unregistered firearm is now a felony or federal offense. If you were to get caught with one, say at a firing range, which would perhaps be required to check serial numbers of all firearms, you would then lose the right to have any firearms whatsoever. Once they have them all registered, they can then pass legislation that will say possession of prohibited firearms (assault weapons, for now) is a felony. Then they can make you turn in banned weapons.
I do not expect to be able to buy or maybe even own a semi-automatic rifle one year from now.
A couple of other things I expect to see happen next year is a federal mandate for the repeal of all carry laws. If I had to guess, I would say this will be done through withholding federal funds for something, probably law enforcement, for states that do not comply (much like with the federal .08 BAC mandate).
Another thing that we may see is a huge cost increase in ammunition due to obscene taxation and requiring technology like this: (http://technology.newscientist.com/article/dn14454-pollencoated-bullet-could-make-its-mark-on-criminals.html)
which will add a HUGE expense to the manufacture of ammunition.

The AWB will pretty much negate the second amendment, but that didn't stop it last time. I would not expect it to have the "loop-holes" in it like the last one. I see no reason for them to put an expiration date on it, or allow people to keep previously owned banned weapons. I expect "assault weapons" to be classified and regulated just like machine guns.

Of course this is pretty much the worst case scenario (at least in the near future), but I am really afraid this election absolutely can and will result in the worst case possible as far as gun rights and the second amendment are concerned. I also think this stuff will get pushed through congress rather quickly. If there are enough dems in the congress and senate, they can override any kind of filibuster and send it to a vote, which will have no problem passing if they have enough of a majority.

Please someone correct me if I'm wrong, as I don't know as much about the process (passing legislation - especially unconstitutional laws) as I should. This has really been bugging me for a while and I think I'm going to buy a rifle which I cannot afford right now, because I don't think we'll be able to in a few months. I just hope I don't spend $1500 on a gun that is just going to be confiscated next year.

As you can probably tell I'm a little pessimistic, but as far as I'm concerned, things don't look real good.
I hope to God I'm wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:37 am 
Longtime Regular

EastSideRich wrote:
I just hope I don't spend $1500 on a gun that is just going to be confiscated next year.

Well, if they don't confiscate the gun, you can be sure either candidate is going to take that much more out of your hide in taxes and/or inflation inspired by government spending.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:03 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
Well, if they don't confiscate the gun, you can be sure either candidate is going to take that much more out of your hide in taxes and/or inflation inspired by government spending.

First, they'll close down the gun shows. Then they'll reinstate the Fairness [sic] Doctrine. Then they'll regulate the internet.

It won't be until they've made it impossible for gun rights advocates -- and other conservatives -- to meet, discuss, share opinions, and organize, that they'll start taking guns away.

Last edited by jdege on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:26 am 
The Man

jdege wrote:
DeanC wrote:

First, they'll close down the gun shows. Then they;ll reinstate the Fairness [sic] Doctrine. Then they'll regulate the internet.

It won't be until they've made it impossible for gun rights advocates -- and other conservatives -- to meet, discuss, share opinions, and organize, that they'll start taking guns away.
I think the order will be a bit different: the Fairness Doctrine, then the Internet, then the gun shows.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:59 am 

EastSideRich wrote:
.... [snip] ..... I think we will see at the a new AWB, probably one worded like the one they tried this last year. Don't be surprised if there is legislation passed that requires the registration of all firearms. People on these boards seem to frequently talk about hiding firearms or claiming they were all lost/stolen/sold/etc. That won't be as viable an option if possessing an unregistered firearm is now a felony or federal offense. If you were to get caught with one, say at a firing range, which would perhaps be required to check serial numbers of all firearms, you would then lose the right to have any firearms whatsoever. Once they have them all registered, they can then pass legislation that will say possession of prohibited firearms (assault weapons, for now) is a felony. Then they can make you turn in banned weapons. ...[snip]...

My .02
I am not a lawyer, constitutional or states rights scholar.
I am growing increasingly pessimistic about lawful gun ownership in this country. The Heller case, in my belief, was nothing but a temporary speed bump in the lefts anti-gun agenda and one only needs to research and know that the anti-gun establishment views it as such.
As Sen. Biden so eloquently stated last week... "mark my words," the above described scenario of gun registration will be attempted in the near future after the left solidifies their foothold in Washington, D.C.,
When the above described scenario takes place, individuals and those states having clear and definitive "Right to Keep and Bear Arms" amendment as part of their state constitution will have a choice. Will they collectively stand up and give the Feds the finger, or will they roll over? My money is on the later.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.