Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:54 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Will Al be a thief? 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:17 am 
Wise Elder

At least four Minnesota judges are helping Franken to steal the election. This should be amazing. But it's not. Sad though.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,470892,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:04 pm 

They could clear this whole stupid argument up, by just throwing out the votes or heck even the whole ballot if you can't fill it in properly.

In which case maybe people would pay attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:39 pm 
Longtime Regular

That would require a change in the law. I think it's a good idea.

MNXD9 wrote:
They could clear this whole stupid argument up, by just throwing out the votes or heck even the whole ballot if you can't fill it in properly.

In which case maybe people would pay attention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Looks like my original question is being answered. Frankin leads now and most likely will be senator. Rush L predicted this to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:31 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
Well, Coleman said HE would simply concede if HE was behind. Guess Coleman has reconsidered .....He fighting in court, just as Franken is..... :P

Wonder if there's a clip of him saying that somewhere?

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:44 pm 
Longtime Regular

kimberman wrote:
At least four Minnesota judges are helping Franken to steal the election. This should be amazing. But it's not. Sad though.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,470892,00.html

Are you referring to the 4 judges, who with the Secretary of State, make up the Canvassing Board? Two of whom are Republicans (including the Chief Justice of Minnesota), and the other two, independents? Those four?

Oddly, despite the widely disparate political origins of the Board's members, virtually every decision it has made so far has been unanimous.

Realistically, the vote was so ridiculously close, no matter who wins, neither side can rightly be accused of "stealing".

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:35 am 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
I have have told friends from the beginning of this debacle I think Al will <s> steal </s>win this. I hope I am wrong.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123111967642552909.html
Quote:
Funny Business in Minnesota
In which every dubious ruling seems to help Al Franken.

Strange things keep happening in Minnesota, where the disputed recount in the Senate race between Norm Coleman and Al Franken may be nearing a dubious outcome. Thanks to the machinations of Democratic Secretary of State Mark Ritchie and a meek state Canvassing Board, Mr. Franken may emerge as an illegitimate victor.
[Review & Outlook] AP

Mr. Franken started the recount 215 votes behind Senator Coleman, but he now claims a 225-vote lead and suddenly the man who was insisting on "counting every vote" wants to shut the process down. He's getting help from Mr. Ritchie and his four fellow Canvassing Board members, who have delivered inconsistent rulings and are ignoring glaring problems with the tallies.

Under Minnesota law, election officials are required to make a duplicate ballot if the original is damaged during Election Night counting. Officials are supposed to mark these as "duplicate" and segregate the original ballots. But it appears some officials may have failed to mark ballots as duplicates, which are now being counted in addition to the originals. This helps explain why more than 25 precincts now have more ballots than voters who signed in to vote. By some estimates this double counting has yielded Mr. Franken an additional 80 to 100 votes.

This disenfranchises Minnesotans whose vote counted only once. And one Canvassing Board member, State Supreme Court Justice G. Barry Anderson, has acknowledged that "very likely there was a double counting." Yet the board insists that it lacks the authority to question local officials and it is merely adding the inflated numbers to the totals.

In other cases, the board has been flagrantly inconsistent. Last month, Mr. Franken's campaign charged that one Hennepin County (Minneapolis) precinct had "lost" 133 votes, since the hand recount showed fewer ballots than machine votes recorded on Election Night. Though there is no proof to this missing vote charge -- officials may have accidentally run the ballots through the machine twice on Election Night -- the Canvassing Board chose to go with the Election Night total, rather than the actual number of ballots in the recount. That decision gave Mr. Franken a gain of 46 votes.
The Opinion Journal Widget

Download Opinion Journal's widget and link to the most important editorials and op-eds of the day from your blog or Web page.

Meanwhile, a Ramsey County precinct ended up with 177 more ballots than there were recorded votes on Election Night. In that case, the board decided to go with the extra ballots, rather than the Election Night total, even though the county is now showing more ballots than voters in the precinct. This gave Mr. Franken a net gain of 37 votes, which means he's benefited both ways from the board's inconsistency.

And then there are the absentee ballots. The Franken campaign initially howled that some absentee votes had been erroneously rejected by local officials. Counties were supposed to review their absentees and create a list of those they believed were mistakenly rejected. Many Franken-leaning counties did so, submitting 1,350 ballots to include in the results. But many Coleman-leaning counties have yet to complete a re-examination. Despite this lack of uniformity, and though the state Supreme Court has yet to rule on a Coleman request to standardize this absentee review, Mr. Ritchie's office nonetheless plowed through the incomplete pile of 1,350 absentees this weekend, padding Mr. Franken's edge by a further 176 votes.
In Today's Opinion Journal

REVIEW & OUTLOOK

* Israel's Gaza Surge
* Funny Business in Minnesota

TODAY'S COLUMNIST

* Information Age: Consumer Choice Saves 'Dora the Explorer'
– L. Gordon Crovitz
* The Americas: Argentina Is Short of Cash – Literally
– George Selgin

COMMENTARY

* Israel's Gaza Dilemma
– Max Boot
* Toyota Isn't Immune From the Recession
– Paul Ingrassia
* How the SEC Can Prevent More Madoffs
– Arthur Levitt Jr.
* How to Make Sure the Stimulus Works
– Judd Gregg

Both campaigns have also suggested that Mr. Ritchie's office made mistakes in tabulating votes that had been challenged by either of the campaigns. And the Canvassing Board appears to have applied inconsistent standards in how it decided some of these challenged votes -- in ways that, again on net, have favored Mr. Franken.

The question is how the board can certify a fair and accurate election result given these multiple recount problems. Yet that is precisely what the five members seem prepared to do when they meet today. Some members seem to have concluded that because one of the candidates will challenge the result in any event, why not get on with it and leave it to the courts? Mr. Coleman will certainly have grounds to contest the result in court, but he'll be at a disadvantage given that courts are understandably reluctant to overrule a certified outcome.

Meanwhile, Minnesota's other Senator, Amy Klobuchar, is already saying her fellow Democrats should seat Mr. Franken when the 111th Congress begins this week if the Canvassing Board certifies him as the winner. This contradicts Minnesota law, which says the state cannot award a certificate of election if one party contests the results. Ms. Klobuchar is trying to create the public perception of a fait accompli, all the better to make Mr. Coleman look like a sore loser and build pressure on him to drop his legal challenge despite the funny recount business.

Minnesotans like to think that their state isn't like New Jersey or Louisiana, and typically it isn't. But we can't recall a similar recount involving optical scanning machines that has changed so many votes, and in which nearly every crucial decision worked to the advantage of the same candidate. The Coleman campaign clearly misjudged the politics here, and the apparent willingness of a partisan like Mr. Ritchie to help his preferred candidate, Mr. Franken. If the Canvassing Board certifies Mr. Franken as the winner based on the current count, it will be anointing a tainted and undeserving Senator.
:evil: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm so PO'd I'm afraid I'm going to blow a gasket! What a helpless feeling knowing that the angry clown wins even though he lost!

Kind of like being held up at gunpoint when you're unarmed!

If life was fair, Robins couldn't eat worms...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 4:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm pretty blasé about it. I don't think Norm was really going to do a bunch to advance my interests. Al will definitely not. It was sort of a "lose or lose badly" situation for me.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:42 pm 
Journeyman Member

As little as I care for Franken, I can't help but agree.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:35 am 
Longtime Regular

DeanC wrote:
I'm pretty blasé about it. I don't think Norm was really going to do a bunch to advance my interests. Al will definitely not. It was sort of a "lose or lose badly" situation for me.

Ditto that. At least of Norm gets screwed in the end we'll be freed of a RINO and perhaps we can get a real conservative in to shrink government. However, Norm has been really good when it comes to 2a issues. And I really do appreciate that. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:25 am 
Journeyman Member

I don't quite understand how the board can decide to pick and choose which numbers to use (some election night, some recount). The totals are then not representative of either.

:bang:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:11 am 

mnglocker wrote:
DeanC wrote:

Ditto that. At least of Norm gets screwed in the end we'll be freed of a RINO and perhaps we can get a real conservative in to shrink government. However, Norm has been really good when it comes to 2a issues. And I really do appreciate that. :?

He has also done a bit to help fight the "fairness" doctrine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:53 am 
Poet Laureate

DeanC wrote:

Amen brother.
That's why Barkley got 20% of the vote. They should recount those after this is all done, then Barkley can steal it back from Franken.

Sigh. If only the Normers had come on board, we wouldn't be in this situation. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:44 am 
Longtime Regular

Look on the bright side:

1) Minnesotans get to keep in the national spotlight while two Jewish guys who aren't from here fight in the courts over our Senate seat.

2) Franken will probably prevail and we can at least get a little of our freak on while he bumbles around making an ass out of himself. Hopefully he blows a gasket somewhere along the line. I was so waiting for Mark Dayton to pop a vein and all he did was slink away and resign. Very disappointing.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.