Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:34 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Ammunition Accountability Act 
 Post subject: Ammunition Accountability Act
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:12 pm 

Just a FYI-- Not sure how legit but got this in a email from a cousin of mine--

Go to this site if you live in Minnesota to find your Rep and send an email stating that you oppose all parts of the ammunition accountability act.

http://www.gis.leg.mn/mapserver/districts/

Ammunition Accountability Act
Remember how Obama said that he wasn't going to take your guns? Well, it
seems that his minions and allies in the anti-gun world have no problem with
taking your ammo!

The bill that is being pushed in 18 states (including TN, Illinois and
Indiana ) requires all ammunition to be encoded by the manufacture, a data
base of all ammunition sales. So they will know how much you buy and what
calibers. Nobody can sell any ammunition after June 30, 2009 unless the
ammunition is coded.

Any privately held uncoded ammunition must be destroyed by July 1, 2011.
(Including handloaded ammo.) They will also charge a .05 cent tax on every
round so every box of ammo you buy will go up at least $2.50 or more! If
they can deprive you of ammo they do not need to take your gun!

Please give this the widest distribution possible and contact your Reps!

It's the ammo, not the guns....
I've said for a long time that they wouldn't go for your guns, they'd go for
your ammo... guns have a Constitutional protection. Ammo does not. A list of
states where this legislation is pending is in the final paragraph. Not in
CO yet, they'll go where the pansies are first.

Heads up to all of you who swore to defend the Constitution of the United
States against all enemies, foreign AND domestic. Let your state
Legislatures know that we do not want this bill passed, and petition them to
vote no on this bill. We should keep after them until the bill is closed by
bombarding them with e-mails, phone calls, and letters.

Get to all your politicians to get to work and NOT LET THIS HAPPEN!!! The
2008 Legislative session has begun, and the Ammunition Accountability Act is
being introduced across the country. Below is a list of states where
legislation has already been introduced:

Alabama, Arizona, California, Connecticut, Hawaii, Illinois, Indiana,
Kentucky, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, New York,
Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, and Washington.

More information can be found at:

http://www.usavsus.info/US-AmmoRegistr.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:59 am 
Poet Laureate

And so it begins.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:17 pm 
Wise Elder

Word just received from a solid Capitol source.

1. Speaker Kelliher is afraid, rightfully, that she won't be able to hold her House DFL caucus back from going wild (and politically stupid).

2. Metro DFL'ers believe the financial crisis gives them "cover" under which to adopt any crazy "policy" initiatives they want. Such as, most/all of the Brady Campaign's wish list set forth above.

3. Gun owners are in for a BAD YEAR.

If you are from a rural/suburban district (especially a DFL district), get on your Representative NOW (and stay on them), Senators too,

with a simple message -- NO LAW CHANGES THAT "AFFECT" (HOWEVER IT IS DONE) GUN OWNERS." "NONE."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:43 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have already given my rep a heads up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:15 am 
Wise Elder

Some answers about this vile bill.

Quote:
Steve Merlo: More gun control not a viable answer to crime
The Bakersfield Californian | Thursday, Jan 8 2009 4:37 PM

They're sneaking up on us again, and gun owners and hunters need to be forewarned of another plot to take away our Second Amendment rights.

"Ammunition Accountability," a newly formed group of ammunition coding supporters [lead my the manufacturer of the equipment] , is working to pass legislation to make ammo-coding a reality. Using laser etching, the group wants to place an alpha-numeric serial number on the back of each bullet, round or cartridge manufactured in the U.S. The idea is that it will control criminals by identifying brass or empty shells left at a crime scene and then following up the number on the back to find out who purchased the offending bullet. Gee...it almost makes sense, doesn't it? That's exactly what they want you to think, but don't fall for this newest attack on our heritage.

There must be some airborne disease floating all around that causes some normally sane and rational people to think of more stupid things to do to our society in the name of safety for the masses. This proposed law is basically one of those things.

We are a free people, yet each day we see our freedoms eroded by well-meaning do-gooders intent on sabotaging our basic rights gifted to us under the Constitution. Patriot Benjamin Franklin once wrote that "A society that gives up its rights in the interest of governmental protection and safety guarantees that it will neither be safe, nor free."

In other words, one doesn't give up rights to protect rights, and that's exactly what this proposed law is trying to do -- disarm the American people and do away with the Second Amendment of the Constitution.

Here are a dozen reasons why the proposed legislation will never work:

1. Criminals will never use stamped bullets. There are hundreds of billions of unmarked cartridges floating around that are easily obtainable. Instead, a law like this will only spawn an "unstamped bullet" black market.

2. Laser-etching each bullet is expensive, adding about a half-cent to each round manufactured, i.e. $2.50 addtional for each box of already-expensive .22 rimfire or pistol ammunition. If buying bullets becomes too high for the average person to purchase, then gun control advocates have their population-disarming agenda within reach.

3. No one will be able to purchase unmarked ammo after June 30, assuming the new ammo will be available on July 1.

4. Government will know the exact amount and caliber one purchases after that date, a total invasion of privacy.

5. All privately owned and uncoded ammo will have to be destroyed by July 1, 2011. Once again, this is gun control; no bullets, no guns. See how easy it is?

6. The system will not necessarily prove who pulled the trigger, but will quite possibly target the innocent.

7. The proposed law targets handloaders, too.

8. A licensing fee for each bullet sold will be required.

9. Ammunition retailers will incur administrative costs which will ultimately be passed on to the retail purchaser, thereby increasing the cost for a box of shells even more to the purchaser.

10. There are only a few ammunition manufacturers who can design and build the necessary equipment, meaning that many manufacturers would go out of business. One can then expect another governmental bureaucracy to be created to control the chaos.

11. Habitual criminals do not use registered guns, nor will they use registered ammo.

12. Eighteen states have this legislation currently pending, including California, a state where common sense legislation is an oxymoron.

Now, if you feel that we can all live with this law, go ahead and champion it, but if you feel the same way I do, hurry up and notify your state legislators about the stupid, inane, restrictive and rights-stealing proposal now before them. Do it now, before this thing starts to freight-train with the idiots already in charge of making our lives safer.

Remember, it's not just about our guns, it's about our rights -- the few they have left us.

http://www.bakersfield.com/136/story/657960.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:32 am 

My representation begins with Mary Murphy who is totally whacked. I had a phone conversaion with her one time on a subject of which I won't go into here. After I got off the phone I had a rude awakening as to what caliber of people can actually attain office. It would be entirely counterproductive for me to talk to her on this matter as I know she would eagerly support such nonsense. Same goes for all our MN reps up the ladder imo. I'm afraid we are in for some nasty gun legislation given the current economic and political climate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:39 am 
Longtime Regular

MnMonte wrote:
It would be entirely counterproductive for me to talk to her on this matter...Same goes for all our MN reps up the ladder imo.

Choosing your timing is one thing, but it is NEVER a mistake to let a legislator -- friend or foe -- know that you are watching, you care, and you vote.

It is easier to throw up your hands and do nothing, but not better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:19 am 
Longtime Regular

Whether they agree with you or not, it is still important to let your legislators know how you feel. Don't allow them the comfort of your silence.

Post subject: Help me, please
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:29 am 
Longtime Regular

How's this?

Quote:
Dear Mr. Bly,

Ammunition marking and tracking is a technology which can easily be defeated with a file. The idea that it would cause any reduction in crime or increase in criminal apprehension is not worthy of discussion by intelligent adults.

That being said, it is obvious that efforts to legislate the coding of ammunition are intended, not to help citizens, but to strip them of their Second Amendment rights by adding great difficulty and expense to a necessary part of its exercise.

Please, vote with two things in mind:
1) common sense, and 2) trust and respect for your constituency.

Sincerely,
bensdad

Post subject: Re: Help me, please
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:57 pm 

bensdad wrote:
How's this?

Quote:
Dear Mr. Bly,

Ammunition marking and tracking is a technology which can easily be defeated with a file. The idea that it would cause any reduction in crime or increase in criminal apprehension is not worthy of discussion by intelligent adults.

That being said, it is obvious that efforts to legislate the coding of ammunition are intended, not to help citizens, but to strip them of their Second Amendment rights by adding great difficulty and expense to a necessary part of its exercise.

Please, vote with two things in mind:
1) common sense, and 2) trust and respect for your constituency.

Sincerely,
bensdad

Sounds great while reading it. But quite honestly I feel it would fall on deaf ears. Not trying to sound defeatist or lazy but I feel I am being realistic. Representation of the people has become sadly nostalgic.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:50 pm 
Longtime Regular

MnMonte wrote:
...quite honestly I feel it would fall on deaf ears. Not trying to sound defeatist or lazy but I feel I am being realistic. Representation of the people has become sadly nostalgic.

Well, that certainly frees you from any of that pesky "trying" thing. :roll:

Even if you're right, legislators understand "getting re-elected" and "getting defeated," even if they pass on "doing their job."

Get in the game.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'm in the game. Well, the e-mail writing game anyway. I just want to be better at it. Is that letter o.k. or not? Too strong? Too short?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:51 pm 

Andrew Rothman wrote:
MnMonte wrote:
...quite honestly I feel it would fall on deaf ears. Not trying to sound defeatist or lazy but I feel I am being realistic. Representation of the people has become sadly nostalgic.

Well, that certainly frees you from any of that pesky "trying" thing. :roll:

Even if you're right, legislators understand "getting re-elected" and "getting defeated," even if they pass on "doing their job."

Get in the game.

" Getting re-elected or getting defeated? Did we all just witness the Franken hijacking? Not to mention pregnant chads , hanging chads, ACORN and all the other voting irregularities that no longer seem to be a irregularity. We are not far from being entirely hypocritical. We would invlove ourselves in third world countries elections just to be certain they were getting it right. Look at our elections as of late.
Get in the game?? The government is not playing a game. They are on a clear path to a specific agenda. Our elected officials from top to bottom are influenced not by constitiuents but by those who got them where they are and who have their ear. If you think thats the voter well then...good luck with that.
Free from that "pesky trying thing"? I understand a united front and all that but, from my recent observations and past experience tell me that I am expecting different results from the same exercise.

Let me add this. Out of a half dozen e mails I sent to Oberstar on specific subjects this is what I got in return:

As your U.S. congressman, I occasionally send out e-mail newsletters, press releases and general information to my constituents to help keep them up to date and informed on my work in Congress and in the district. These updates cover a variety of topics, including rising energy prices, homeland security, defense and veterans, education, health care, and transportation. I am writing to let you know that due to U.S. House of Representative rules concerning communication before elections, there are several blackout periods during election years. During these periods, I will be limited in the ways I can communicate with you.
In order to stay up to date on important information, I encourage you to opt-in to receive my e-mails. By opting-in, you will be able to continue receiving my e-mails even during the blackout periods. Please know that if you opt-in, you can opt-out at any time.
To opt-in, please click on: http://www.oberstar.house.gov/index.asp ... AFORM&SEC={B381A014-201E-42D8-A038-0B17B14A7395}

With best wishes.
Sincerely, James L. Oberstar, M.C.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:17 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yup. It's impossible to influence government. That's how we got the carry law passed in 2003, and again in 2005. :roll:

I think your defeatist attitude is either a cop-out or simply wrong.

You have two US senators, a US representative, a state senator, a state representative, a county board, and probably a city council and a mayor.

Just because you don't get an email back saying "Gee, you're right, MnMonte! Thanks for straightening me out," doesn't mean your contact with elected officials has no effect.

Political action can be tedious, and the results diffuse and difficult to discern. That doesn't mean there aren't there results.

I'll say it again: Get in the game. There's a lot of work to be done. Can you spare 30 minutes a week to call, email, fax and/or write? Can you make it to the state capitol once or twice between now and May?

We need you -- and all gun owners -- to stand up and be counted.

We freakin' shut DOWN the capitol switchboard in 2005. We could do it again, if we need to. Are you going to join us, or whine that there's nothing the little guy can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

We should never underestimate the impact of contacting our legislators, even if they disagree with us. If we don't question their agenda, they feel they have no accountability to those they are supposed to be serving.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.