Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:13 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Gun Owners of America 

Do you think Gun Owners of America is a worthwhile gun rights organization?
Yes  73%  73%  [ 49 ]
No  1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Uncertain/Undecided  25%  25%  [ 17 ]
Total votes : 67

Gun Owners of America 
 Post subject: Gun Owners of America
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:47 pm 

Does anyone have opinions on GOA they would like to voice? I'm a member of the NRA and they seem to be more of a junk mail organization, then they are a gun rights group.

I've read some criticism of GOA just being around to support a guy's machine gun collection in Wisconsin.

Thanks....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

GOA is a good organization. They don't compromise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

sigman wrote:

However, I see half of their efforts as swipes at the NRA. I wish they'd stop that. We're all on the same side.

Also keep in mind, the NRA is the LARGEST Lobby group in the Country possibly the world. They have alot of pull in DC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

mnglocker wrote:
sigman wrote:

However, I see half of their efforts as swipes at the NRA. I wish they'd stop that. We're all on the same side.

Also keep in mind, the NRA is the LARGEST Lobby group in the Country possibly the world. They have alot of pull in DC.

Correct me if I am wrong. Didn't the NRA support the 1986 automatic firearms ban? If that is true, I do not want the NRA using their pull to influence DC on that topic.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

jaysong wrote:
mnglocker wrote:
sigman wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong. Didn't the NRA support the 1986 automatic firearms ban? If that is true, I do not want the NRA using their pull to influence DC on that topic.

I think they did, however, where was the GOA for the residents of NOL after Katrina?? You have to voice your opinion to your local NRA Reps and give them feedback.

Here in MN Congressional district 6 at least the Rep is Dave Nelson 763-780-1678 is his number.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

I am not saying that the NRA is bad. I am saying that the GOA is closer to my views on the second amendment. Too many fudds have infiltrated the NRA IMO. 8)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:13 pm 
Longtime Regular

I figure as long as legislators are afraid of the NRA, then they're worthwhile. They tend toward Fudd-minded compromises more than I like, so I approve of the GOA (and the JPFO and others) bitching about it and competing for membership.

So I belong to both.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:25 pm 
Poet Laureate

jaysong wrote:
Didn't the NRA support the 1986 automatic firearms ban? If that is true, I do not want the NRA using their pull to influence DC on that topic.

Not to mention the Brady Assault On Gun Buyers.
The NRA, if I am correct, is the reason that thing passed, and we all are now required to fill out the yellow sheet.

If the NRA had opposed it, there would have been the clout to fight it off and have it fail. :evil:

GOA all the way. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:55 am 

Does anyone know about the claim that Larry Pratt was an editor for "United Sovereigns of America"? Supposedly it was a anti-semite publication.

http://www.splcenter.org/intel/intelrep ... sp?pid=365

Then again he seems fairly clear about his stance on racism on GOA:

http://gunowners.org/larryr.htm
http://gunowners.org/nws9603.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

The NRA sends me solicitations for contributions.

The GOA sends me information on real 2A issues.

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with the NRA every day. I recently sent in my dues, but I'm not sure I'll do that next year. Had I known the NRA was going to sit on their hands for the Holder nomination, they wouldn't have gotten my money this year.

From my perspective, about the only thing the NRA has going for them anymore is their size and history.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:52 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

I'm a life member of both. You can't deny the NRAs clout; however, they can be sissies on many issues.

A couple examples in the past year are:
Not grading on the Holder nomination
Not backing Heller until late in the process

I think NRA is about "bend but don't break". GOA is "we don't bend"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

Lenny7 wrote:
The NRA sends me solicitations for contributions.

The GOA sends me information on real 2A issues.

I'm getting more and more disillusioned with the NRA every day. I recently sent in my dues, but I'm not sure I'll do that next year. Had I known the NRA was going to sit on their hands for the Holder nomination, they wouldn't have gotten my money this year.

From my perspective, about the only thing the NRA has going for them anymore is their size and history.

All very good points, but as you point out they have size and history. That makes them the big elephant in the room. Just their presence makes an impact.

If my dues keeps that elephant alive and my name on their members list makes that elephant a little bigger, I'm happy with that. Whether that elephant can still fight or just nobody wants to piss it off, it's accomplished the same purpose.

Which isn't to say bring say a gun-wielding raging buffalo into the room as well is a bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

The BIG issue I see is that when the NRA is not kept in check and begin liking the clout they will change positions on issues to get them more clout instead of acting in such a way to protect our rights. If you think it wouldn't happen, I would submit that it already has too many times. :evil: This is the reason I refuse to become a life member.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

The NRA rolled over on the nomination of Eric Holder, a supreme anti-gunner, as Attorney General, in the position to cause the most pain to gun owners.

What the hell?

jaysong wrote:
The BIG issue I see is that when the NRA is not kept in check and begin liking the clout they will change positions on issues to get them more clout instead of acting in such a way to protect our rights. If you think it wouldn't happen, I would submit that it already has too many times. :evil: This is the reason I refuse to become a life member.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

I have to maintain my NRA membership to stay at my gunclub. If it weren't for that, I'd broom um'. Ignoring Holder? What the hell was that?

My mother died of cancer in 02. She had been fighting it (in various incantations) since the mid 70s. She always loathed the American Cancer Society. She believed that it had a vested interest in NOT curing cancer and, in fact, stood in the way of possible cures. I don't know if she was right or not. I have no expertise or opinion on that issue. Being interested in the protection of our 2A rights, and seeing how the NRA has acted in the last couple of years, I can see a tremendous parallel to the way my mom felt about the ACS. Staying out of Heller for so long, saying nothing about Holder, keeping Jackson on after his blasphemy... The NRA needs a fight. If the majority of firearms laws in the U.S. died tomorrow, the NRA-ILA would die with them. Think about it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.