Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:18 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 H.F. 415 Minnesota RKBA Ammendment 
 Post subject: H.F. 415 Minnesota RKBA Ammendment
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:11 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

I haven't seen anything else on here about this yet.

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls86

Quote:
H.F. No. 415, as introduced - 86th Legislative Session (2009-2010) Posted on Feb 02, 2009

1.1A bill for an act
1.2relating to constitutional amendments; proposing an amendment to the Minnesota
1.3Constitution, article I; providing that the right of citizens to bear arms for certain
1.4purposes is fundamental and shall not be abridged.
1.5BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.6 Section 1. CONSTITUTIONAL AMENDMENT PROPOSED.
1.7An amendment to the Minnesota Constitution is proposed to the people. If the
1.8amendment is adopted, a section shall be added to article I, to read:
1.9Sec. 18. The right of a citizen to keep and bear arms for the defense and security of
1.10the person, family, or home or for lawful hunting, recreation, or marksmanship training
1.11is fundamental and shall not be abridged.

1.12 Sec. 2. SUBMISSION TO VOTERS.
1.13The proposed amendment must be submitted to the people at the 2010 general
1.14election. The question submitted must be:
1.15"Shall the Minnesota Constitution be amended to provide that the right of a citizen to
1.16keep and bear arms for the defense and security of the person, family, or home or for lawful
1.17hunting, recreation, or marksmanship training is fundamental and shall not be abridged?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:24 pm 
Longtime Regular

Why should my God-given rights be restricted to "the defense and security of the person, family, or home or for lawful hunting, recreation, or marksmanship training?"

As far as the US Constitution, the RKBA is for shutting down a tyranical gov't not for hunting, recreation OR self-defense from muggers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:41 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
Why should my God-given rights be restricted to "the defense and security of the person, family, or home or for lawful hunting, recreation, or marksmanship training?"

As far as the US Constitution, the RKBA is for shutting down a tyranical gov't not for hunting, recreation OR self-defense from muggers.

Of course U.S. Bill of Rights trumps the state constitution. And you are correct in that we shouldn't have to list out reasons why we should be able to KBA. However, we have seen what has happened with interpretation of 2A when activities aren't spelled out ad nauseam.

I believe 2A by focusing around militia includes PP, hunting and sport. If you are armed to be a militia you are more than armed for anything else you may need to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:45 pm 

Quote:
As far as the US Constitution, the RKBA is for shutting down a tyranical gov't...

Isn't that covered by/included in:

Quote:
the defense and security of the person, family, or home...

?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:01 pm 
Longtime Regular

Yea, defense of freedom from tyranny could be covered under "defense of person, etc." I guess I am just being nit-picky. I just worry that as soon as we spell it out for X, Y, and Z, A-W are under contention.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:11 pm 

Well, I agree, but if it gets to the point where one needs to employ such measures in defense of a tyrranical government (literally speaking, of course), I think whether or not it's specifically mentioned in the bill will be moot. Maybe I'm just picking nits.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:19 pm 
Poet Laureate

So, for the lawyerly around these parts:

If such an amendment should pass, does that mean the MNPtoC becomes a CCW, and open carry will be free from the mandatory constraints of class attendance, county shakedown $, and available for everyone to participate in who isn't a convicted felon?

:?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

^ ^ ^ ^

SHHHHHHH! :wink:

Last edited by SultanOfBrunei on Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:22 pm 
Forum Moderator/<br>AV Geek

Just a hollow amendment that means nothing to the courts, like Wisconsin's?

While I like it on it's face (is that how it's said?), without further detail, it will be dismissed as meaningless if it hit the courts. People would start open carrying, and then they'll go to jail. The courts will cite our permit law, and therefore abridge the rights.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:26 pm 

Fyrwys wrote:
Well, I agree, but if it gets to the point where one needs to employ such measures in defense of a tyrranical government (literally speaking, of course), I think whether or not it's specifically mentioned in the bill will be moot. Maybe I'm just picking nits.

Never thought of it that way. +1

In 2A they aren't granting us the right to overthrow. Just assuring that we are prepared to overthrow.

Quote:
Just a hollow amendment that means nothing to the courts, like Wisconsin's?

While I like it on it's face (is that how it's said?), without further detail, it will be dismissed as meaningless if it hit the courts. People would start open carrying, and then they'll go to jail. The courts will cite our permit law, and therefore abridge the rights.

until it is upheld once...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 4:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think the amendment is a good idea. MN is one of the few states without a RKBA amendment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:13 pm 
Journeyman Member

Wasn't something like this supposed to be on the 2008 ballot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:51 pm 
Longtime Regular

crshooter wrote:
Wasn't something like this supposed to be on the 2008 ballot?

I remember something about this last year, but I think they lumped it in with a bunch of other stuff and it never got off the ground.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

The Democratic legislature will not move on this. If this was on the 2010 ballot, it would attract more Republicans than Democrats to the polls.

Wait for Republican control of the legislature to put this on the ballot. Even then, it won't happen unless Republicans are about to lose seats. Then they'll use it to attrct new support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Dick Unger wrote:
The Democratic legislature will not move on this. If this was on the 2010 ballot, it would attract more Republicans than Democrats to the polls.

Wait for Republican control of the legislature to put this on the ballot. Even then, it won't happen unless Republicans are about to lose seats. Then they'll use it to attrct new support.

I hate it when politics messes with stuff like this.

"If man will not work, he shall not eat" (2 Th 3:14)
"If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one" -Jesus (Luke 22:36)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.