Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:17 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Hearing Monday 2/16 
 Post subject: Hearing Monday 2/16
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:15 pm 
Wise Elder

You can bet the CSM crowd will be there on their "big day" at the Capitol.

MONDAY, February 16, 2009
4:30 PM
Game, Fish and Forestry Division
Room: Basement State Office Building
Chair: Rep. David Dill
Agenda: HF128 (Dill) Bow and gun case requirements removed
HF477 (Thao) Portable bear stands allowed to be left overnight in wildlife management areas, and barrel use allowed when baiting bear

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:37 pm 

I was hoping to attend and see the process in action- I have to work the PM shift on Mon. so will have to back out--Thanks for the details though--

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:55 am 
Longtime Regular

kpaul wrote:
... see the process in action ...

It's very much like a sausage factory...

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:27 am 
Longtime Regular

I'll be there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:00 am 

An after school field trip might be in order...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:32 am 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

Looks like it's the last item on the agenda. I won't be able to stay that late.

Latest bill text here.
http://www.house.leg.state.mn.us/comm/docs/H0128DE3.pdf

And here is the interesting exception for cities:

Quote:
Subdivision 1. Restrictions. (a) A person may transport an uncased, unloaded firearm in a motor vehicle unless
<...>
within the
2.14 boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city, including a city of the first class,
2.15 county, town, municipal corporation, or other government subdivision that has prohibited
2.16 the discharge of a firearm under section 471.633, in which case a firearm must be unloaded
2.17 and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case must fully enclose the
2.18 firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any
2.19 portion of the firearm exposed.

The only portion that keeps my interest now is how they will define unloaded. If opening the chamber is considered unloaded, I'd get excited about it again. But it didn't sound like it was going to go that way...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:43 am 

And actually unloaded is defined in 97A.015 Subd. 51 as

Quote:
Subd. 51.Unloaded.

"Unloaded" means, with reference to a firearm, without ammunition in the barrels and magazine, if the magazine is in the firearm. A muzzle loading firearm with a flintlock ignition is unloaded if it does not have priming powder in a pan. A muzzle loading firearm with percussion ignition is unloaded if it does not have a percussion cap on a nipple.

And they aren't even discussing that now.

So this bill has little effect on me since. I live in a city and would be required to case the gun anyhow before leaving home. Therefor I will always have a case with me when out of town. And I still have to unload the gun before getting in the vehicle.

The only benefit is for the occasional time when I'm on the opposite end of a field and I need a ride back to the truck to get a case. Or when the case or gun is wet and I don't want encase the gun.

If only they would at least allow an open chamber and loaded magazine :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:24 am 

We'll see where this gets me

Quote:
Tony,

I read through the new draft for HF0128. Unfortunately I won't be able to make the committee meeting on Monday to express my views. My middle son starts firearms safety training that evening.

Any chance of getting the bolded text below or something similar amended?

Subdivision 1. Restrictions. (a) A person may transport an uncased, unloaded firearm in a motor vehicle unless
<...>
within the
2.14 boundaries of a home rule charter or statutory city, including a city of the first class,
2.15 county, town, municipal corporation, or other government subdivision that has prohibited
2.16 the discharge of a firearm under section 471.633, in which case a firearm must be unloaded
2.17 and in a gun case expressly made to contain a firearm, and the case must fully enclose the
2.18 firearm by being zipped, snapped, buckled, tied, or otherwise fastened, and without any
2.19 portion of the firearm exposed.
(b) For the purposes of this section, a "firearm" does not include a pistol as defined
2.21 in section 624.712, subdivision 2. <b>and "person" does not further restrict those with permits to carry pistols, rifles or shotguns under 624.714, 624.7181</b>

Sincerely you constituent,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:48 am 
Longtime Regular

That's a good addition just in case.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:58 am 
Longtime Regular

If enough of us go, can we get it back to the original language?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:09 am 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
If enough of us go, can we get it back to the original language?

According to Reps. Cornish and Dill that bill would never pass. It's interesting though because Dill speaks about the frustration when duck hunting and having to unload and case just to move the boat to kill a wounded duck. This bill still requires him to unload just not case. Seems like they are only eliminating 30% of the hassle here.

baby steps?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:23 am 
Longtime Regular

Mosin wrote:
<...>
baby steps?

I dunno, aren't we taking a step backwards with this, by allowing cities and townships to decide their own rules?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:43 pm 

SultanOfBrunei wrote:
I dunno, aren't we taking a step backwards with this, by allowing cities and townships to decide their own rules?

I guess not really since the state is still making the law to some extent -- Not the city.

TonyCornish wrote:
This would not be a step back. This would be a state law that would still pre empt them. If you can't discharge a firearm within a city, there's really no need to carry uncased. It would be nice, but it would make too much of a stink and cause cities to fight the bill. I'd actually rather just say that this bill did not apply in any city. Meaning everything just stays the way it is now. We'll see where that goes, however.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

TonyCornish wrote:
If you can't discharge a firearm within a city, there's really no need to carry uncased.

Unless you need to pass through a town for some reason.

or:

Quote:
I am the scourge of Homies everywhere
By Combat Controller

I figure enough time has passed that I can share this with you now.

Recently, I was driving to NM in a truck, towing a small U-Haul with some stuff in it for a friend. Just as I pulled into town at about 2330 hours I decided to get some diesel before hitting my final destination. As I came up some back roads, there are very few places to buy said fuel. The first one I thought of was a Shell station, and although it was closed I figured the pumps would take my credit card.

As I was going through the process of pulling in, getting out, etc, three cars pull into the lot of the deserted station on the edge of town. Two are filled with young girls who got there first and were calling out to each other and trying to find a party or something. They were on the opposite side of all the pumps form me and the giant truck. The third car pulls in, a four door job with metallic purple paint and low reverse hub wheels, an Aspire or some such. It circles around a bit and comes to a halt in front of my truck 10 meters or so away. Out pours 8 homies between 16 and 20 years of age, in the usual homie gear. Allow me to repeat the conversation I had, and the resulting fracas.

Homie #1: What’s in the trailer?

CC: Pardon?

Homie #1: What’s in the trailer, ese?

(Allow me to break in for a moment here. I know where this conversation is headed, I have had it dozens of times growing up around this area. The bullies have to pump themselves up first, gathering courage from each other, and then attack like the savage pack they become. Now, I may be able to kill a goat with my mind, or give a mechanic in Alaska a bad case of the hiccups, but I cannot fight off 8 homies in the prime of youth, all pumped up in front of the girls. I will get very hurt. It is icy out. I have driven for 12 hours. I am cranky that I have to deal with this. I will now demonstrate that old and crafty beats beats youth and vigor 9 times out of 10, and that I am very old and wicked in my ways.)

CC: Bodies.

Homie #1: Huh?

Homie #2: What did he say?

CC: {Pulls AK 47 out from behind seat and in best Irish accent says:}All right lads, now you’ve fooked with the Irish Mob, and you’d better clear off before I add you to the collection!

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:42 pm 
Longtime Regular

I think where I deer hunt, and where I pheasant hunt are both inside of city/town boundries.

I'd guess the lake I duck hunt on would be outside of city limits, but I'm not sure. To be safe I'd have to case it.

With the city exemption, I'd say it is close to worthless.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.