Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:29 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Regarding campaign solicitations 
 Post subject: Regarding campaign solicitations
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:20 am 

While roaming the neighborhood of firearm forums recently, I’ve found two things to be of certain consistency. One is a leery reverence for the wilderness of ar15.com. The other is the common thread in peoples’ conversations about campaign solicitors:

I told them, “no; I’m pissed. He reneged on such and such.” And the caller
told me, “yeah, a lot of people are mad about such and such.”

The solicitor’s report of like complaints is a fantasy. Campaign callers are trained to return fire with exactly those sentiments whenever someone enumerates grievances to them. They’re briefed and equipped the same as telemarketers and, in fact, often are telemarketers. It’s a maneuver designed to placate, and sew the assumption that the campaign now realizes the popularity of the issue, and has learned from the experience.

At face value, such artifice wouldn’t make it past the wire, but this approach provides a framework in which a person may feel they’ve connected the dots by their own impetus without recognizing—or scrutinizing—the encouragement. Of course, it would be unfair to discount the certain, though increasingly infrequent, calls from well-informed staffers volunteering their time and skill because they believe wholeheartedly in their candidate. This notwithstanding, if you get the phone call to arms on behalf of a politician that screwed you in the last round, count on the solicitor’s acknowledgment of widespread disenchantment to be worth about as much as the air on their words. Prudence would endorse one’s instructing them to piss off and not necessarily in such tender words.

If this hasn’t been mentioned already simply because everyone knows it intuitively: sorry. I’ll throw myself out, thank you

Also: first post and all that. Hi everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:52 am 
Longtime Regular

Very interesting, I had never thought of it in that light.

Good first post!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:05 am 

Welcome,
Well done first post!

"I disagree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it." Voltaire

"I may not be allowed to eat the apples any more, but strolling through the orchard is certainly pleasant." Chunkstyle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:49 am 
Longtime Regular

What they said.

Telling the telemarketer why you are refusing still has value: if enough of us say it, it will trickle upstream.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 pm 

I hear you. It's something to keep in mind. And, for some good clean fun try testing the theory:

When I was at college not that long ago I got a call for a guy re-upping his county seat. I told her I was unimpressed with his handling of the small restaurants ordinance.

There hadn't been any media appearance or discussion of any policy concerning small restaurants taken up by the county in the last year.

"Yeah," she said, "I'm hearing that all day."

Also, he was running for Sheriff. :lol: yeah; but it's good to know that other people also held him accountable for never getting behind the bill I'd just invented. I'd pulled it out of my ass and stirred serious public support in less than a minute. I had no idea it'd become such a popular issue.

NOTE: trying this game another time shortly before this last election I was challenged by an abrupt, "...the what?" with a pretty strong intonation of wtf. I know there are real people doing good work. Still the Bullshit Test is a good benchmark and is hilarious to boot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:16 pm 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
When I was at college not that long ago I got a call for a guy re-upping his county seat. I told her I was unimpressed with his handling of the small restaurants ordinance.

There hadn't been any media appearance or discussion of any policy concerning small restaurants taken up by the county in the last year.

"Yeah," she said, "I'm hearing that all day."

Excellent!!!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:25 am 
Longtime Regular

Gee, it must be the season.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.