Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri May 10, 2024 2:57 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Here it is "gun show bill" HF953 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:52 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

kimberman wrote:
Get your friends in Owatonna to focus on this guy. His vote is crucial!

Kory Kath (DFL) District 26A 651-296-5368 rep.kory.kath@house.mn leaning against HF953 ?

PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO ALL LISTS.

Kory Kath's office called me yesterday wanting to verify my information and said they would be sending out a statement on the issue.

Not sure what that means at this point but it was the first response I had from his office.

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

It's your constitution. They died for it. Read it. Know it.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution ... rview.html

http://LibertyMinnesota.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:17 pm 

Mosin wrote:
kimberman wrote:
Get your friends in Owatonna to focus on this guy. His vote is crucial!

Kory Kath (DFL) District 26A 651-296-5368 rep.kory.kath@house.mn leaning against HF953 ?

PASS THIS MESSAGE ON TO ALL LISTS.

Kory Kath's office called me yesterday wanting to verify my information and said they would be sending out a statement on the issue.

Not sure what that means at this point but it was the first response I had from his office.

Seems to me that a politician interested in the facts should be viewed as a positive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:26 pm 

Fyrwys wrote:
Seems to me that a politician interested in the facts should be viewed as a positive.

He's still new. Give him time...

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:49 pm 

Membership dollars at work again
http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=4520

Quote:
Minnesota Gun Registration Scheme to be Heard Friday!

Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Please Contact the Members of the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division!

On Friday, March 6, House File 953, introduced by State Representative Michael Paymar (DFL-64B), will be voted on by the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee.

This bill was designed to not only regulate the sale of firearms at gun shows, but to regulate the sale of firearms between law-abiding persons, all across Minnesota. As a whole, HF 953 will only affect law-abiding gun owners, and in no way keeps guns out of the hands of criminals.

A particularly troublesome provision in HF 953 creates a de facto registration system by requiring records of all transfers to be maintained by the state. These records would be made available to all authorities, including for use in “civil” cases, which are often brought by anti-gun government officials and are designed to damage or interfere with lawful commerce in firearms.

HF 953 is a direct attack on Minnesota’s gun rights. It also removes the carry permit holders’ exemption from the purchase permit requirement for all handgun or semi-automatic rifle purchases, not just those completed at gun shows, and increases the waiting period from five to seven days.

Please contact the members of the Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee TODAY and respectfully urge them to protect our Second Amendment rights and oppose this bill. Contact information can be found below.

State Representative John Lesch (DFL) Chairman
Phone: 651-296-4224
Email: rep.john.lesch@house.mn

State Representative Ron Shimanski (R) Vice Chair
Phone: 651-296-1534
Email: rep.ron.shimanski@house.mn

State Representative Debra Hilstrom (DFL)
Phone: 651-296-3709
Email: rep.debra.hilstrom@house.mn

State Representative Kory Kath (DFL)
Phone: 651-296-5368
Email: rep.kory.kath@house.mn

State Representative Paul Kohls (R)
Phone: 651-296-4282
Email: rep.paul.kohls@house.mn

State Representative Jenifer Loon (R)
Phone: 651-296-7449
Email: rep.jenifer.loon@house.mn

State Representative Dave Olin (DFL)
Phone: 651-296-9635
Email: rep.dave.olin@house.mn

State Representative Michael Paymar (DFL)
Phone: 651-296-4199
Email: rep.michael.paymar@house.mn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:28 pm 

Is this email too long winded? This is my first attempt at a letter to a rep. but I need to do my part on this one. Please give me feedback!! I stole a couple lines from the NRA email, I hope they dont mind.....

Rep. Kath,

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to HF953 which is to be voted on in the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee March 6th, 2009. The parts of the bill that I have the biggest problem with are the de facto registration system by requiring records of all transfers to be maintained by the state, and the removal of the Permit to Purchase exemption applied to Carry Permit holders. Permit holders area already subject to a rigorous background check upon applying for their permit. Requiring them to apply for a Permit to Purchase as well would only place a bigger burden on the Law Enforcement agencies, requiring them to devote more manpower to office work, thus taking away from their ability to put officers on the streets. As a whole, HF 953 will only affect law-abiding gun owners, and in no way keeps guns out of the hands of criminals. I believe that instead of new legislation, we need better enforcement of existing laws. Please do your part to protect Minnesota's gun rights by voting to defeat this bill. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my point of view.

Your Constituent,
Matt Anderson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 pm 

SoMN40S&W wrote:
Is this email too long winded? This is my first attempt at a letter to a rep. but I need to do my part on this one. Please give me feedback!! I stole a couple lines from the NRA email, I hope they dont mind.....

Rep. Kath,

I am writing to you to voice my opposition to HF953 which is to be voted on in the House Crime Victims/Criminal Records Division Committee March 6th, 2009. The parts of the bill that I have the biggest problem with are the de facto registration system by requiring records of all transfers to be maintained by the state, and the removal of the Permit to Purchase exemption applied to Carry Permit holders. Permit holders area already subject to a rigorous background check upon applying for their permit. Requiring them to apply for a Permit to Purchase as well would only place a bigger burden on the Law Enforcement agencies, requiring them to devote more manpower to office work, thus taking away from their ability to put officers on the streets. As a whole, HF 953 will only affect law-abiding gun owners, and in no way keeps guns out of the hands of criminals. I believe that instead of new legislation, we need better enforcement of existing laws. Please do your part to protect Minnesota's gun rights by voting to defeat this bill. Thank you for taking the time to listen to my point of view.

Your Constituent,
Matt Anderson

Sounds great. Send it and follow-up with a phone call tomorrow. You probably won't get to speak to Rep. Kath but they will pull your email, print it and make a note that you called also.

If you do get a chance to speak with him, it sounds like you already have a handle on how this bill affects only law abiding citizens, just reiterate those facts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:36 pm 

Rep. Paymar has requested a delay in hearing this bill. As of now it is officially off the agenda for Friday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:58 pm 
Longtime Regular

Mosin wrote:
Fyrwys wrote:

He's still new. Give him time...

:lol: :lol:
+ 2

Post subject: HF953
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:26 pm 

Would it still help to call or send an e-mail to my Rep even if he already opposes this bill? Also does it help to do the same to the other Representatives involved?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:30 pm 
Longtime Regular

YES.

especially if he's your rep. Thank him for his support of our rights and let him know he's doing the right thing. It enables him to talk about his constituents' responses and gives you credibility when you want to contact him on something you disagree with him on.

Post subject: Re: HF953
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm 
Longtime Regular

jignjam wrote:
Would it still help to call or send an e-mail to my Rep even if he already opposes this bill? Also does it help to do the same to the other Representatives involved?

Yes, he'll be lobbied to change his position. By wealthy and connected lobbyists who are in a position to help him with other issues, and fund raising.

Most Reps only get a couple of real requests from constituants. If he can say I've got X letters against on none for, it's a lot easier for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:06 pm 

Thanks, I will let him know he is doing a good job protecting our 2A rights and contact the others to let them know how I (WE) feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:50 pm 

I just spoke with Rep. Paul Rosenthal and he will be removing his name as co-author from the bill. He stated that he looked into it further and thought the bill was over-reaching.

The more defectors we can get the more momentum this thing will lose.

Hats off to Rep. Rosenthal for actually reading and considering the proposed legislation from other points of view.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:53 pm 

Tim Kelly also chimed in today

Quote:
Dear Mosin,

First, I have to apologize because some of my constituent emails were
getting put in a different file.

Thank you for your input. I support your position and appreciate you
taking the time send this information.

Sincerely,

Tim Kelly

This wasn't really a surprise considering his A- grade from the NRA. But always nice to hear them say it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:07 pm 
The Man

Mosin wrote:
I just spoke with Rep. Paul Rosenthal and he will be removing his name as co-author from the bill. He stated that he looked into it further and thought the bill was over-reaching.

The more defectors we can get the more momentum this thing will lose.

Hats off to Rep. Rosenthal for actually reading and considering the proposed legislation from other points of view.
Yup. And I won't be too critical for him not realizing until it was pointed out that this is a gun registration bill; the proponents of that have hidden that as well as possible.

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.