Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:38 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 HF180 Barring Cary By Nonlicensed Peace Officers 
 Post subject: HF180 Barring Cary By Nonlicensed Peace Officers
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 2:36 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

I thought this one was mentioned on here somewhere before but I couldn't find it. Anyhow, it is being discussed in committee this Thursday.

February 26, 2009
1:00 PM
Committee: Public Safety Policy and Oversight
Room: 10 State Office Building

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/bin ... ssion=ls86

Quote:
<div class="xtend">

<div class="xtend_ce"><a id="pl.1.1"></a> 1.1 A bill for an act<br />

</div><a id="pl.1.2"></a> 1.2 relating to public safety; establishing penalty for heads of law enforcement <br />

<a id="pl.1.3"></a> 1.3 agencies who allow employees and agents who are nonlicensed peace officers to <br />
<a id="pl.1.4"></a> 1.4 carry a firearm;amending Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 626.84, subdivision <br />
<a id="pl.1.5"></a> 1.5 2.<br />
<a id="pl.1.6"></a> 1.6 BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:<br />
<br />

<a id="bill.0.1.0"></a><a id="pl.1.7"></a> 1.7 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 626.84, subdivision 2, is amended to read:<br />
<a id="pl.1.8"></a> 1.8 Subd. 2. <b>Scope.</b> <u>(a) </u>Notwithstanding sections
<statute_ref>12.03, subdivision 4</statute_ref>,
<statute_ref>12.25</statute_ref>, or any <br />
<a id="pl.1.9"></a> 1.9 other law to the contrary, no individual employed or acting as an agent of any political <br />

<a id="pl.1.10"></a> 1.10 subdivision shall be authorized to carry a firearm when on duty unless the individual <br />
<a id="pl.1.11"></a> 1.11 has been licensed under sections
<statute_ref>626.84</statute_ref> to
<statute_ref>626.863</statute_ref>. Nothing herein shall be construed <br />
<a id="pl.1.12"></a> 1.12 as requiring licensure of a security guard as that term is defined in section
<statute_ref>626.88, <br />

<a id="pl.1.13"></a> 1.13 subdivision 1
</statute_ref>, paragraph (c). <br />
<a id="pl.1.14"></a> 1.14 <u>(b) The board shall suspend for a minimum of 30 days the license of the head of a </u><br />
<a id="pl.1.15"></a> 1.15 <u>law enforcement agency who allows an unlicensed employee or agent of the agency to </u><br />
<a id="pl.1.16"></a> 1.16 <u>carry a firearm while on duty. The board shall investigate violations of this subdivision </u><br />

<a id="pl.1.17"></a> 1.17 <u>following the procedures set forth in section 214.10, except that the board shall not direct </u><br />
<a id="pl.1.18"></a> 1.18 <u>the appropriate law enforcement agency, as defined in section 214.10, subdivision 13, to </u><br />
<a id="pl.1.19"></a> 1.19 <u>conduct the initial investigation as required under section 214.10, subdivision 10. The </u><br />
<a id="pl.1.20"></a> 1.20 <u>board shall perform all phases of investigations of violations of this subdivision.</u><br />
<a id="pl.1.21"></a> 1.21 <u><b>EFFECTIVE DATE.</b></u><u>This section is effective August 1, 2009, and applies to </u><br />

<a id="pl.1.22"></a> 1.22 <u>violations committed on or after that date.</u><br />

</div>

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

It's your constitution. They died for it. Read it. Know it.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution ... rview.html

http://LibertyMinnesota.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:26 am 

The headline to this thread is a bit misleading, the bill is punish police chiefs/sheriffs who allow people employed by them who are not licensed peace officers carry firearms, like say the chief's secretary.

So this doesn't affect those of us who are not the chief law enforcement officer for a public safety agency. It also appears to be a solution in search of a problem, but then I'm not a member of the union who I suspect got this bill introduced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:28 am 

Wouldn't this mean that any governmental worker (city, county, state) be immediately restricted from carrying while on duty?

Quote:
1.9 other law to the contrary, no individual employed or acting as an agent of any political

1.10 subdivision shall be authorized to carry a firearm when on duty unless the individual

That would also apparently restrict any elected official, board or commission member appointed by a political entity, and volunteers lending their time to anything sponsored by a political entity. Sounds pretty far-reaching... Or maybe I misunderstand?

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:09 am 

I smell the police union on this. They want to ensure that reserve officers and other police employees cannot be armed.

Of course, I would think the rank-and-file cops would want their available backup to be able to grab the shotgun or AR15 out of the car for a felony call, but hey, who am I to question the union?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:57 am 
Longtime Regular

This is an overreaching bill, and needs to be fought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:36 am 
The Man

Andrew Rothman wrote:
This is an overreaching bill, and needs to be fought.
Yup, despite the temptation to ignore it. It's clearly a reaction to Fletcher letting his buddy -- the one who is awaiting sentencing -- play cop.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:59 am 

Fubar wrote:
The headline to this thread is a bit misleading, the bill is punish police chiefs/sheriffs who allow people employed by them who are not licensed peace officers carry firearms, like say the chief's secretary.

So this doesn't affect those of us who are not the chief law enforcement officer for a public safety agency. It also appears to be a solution in search of a problem, but then I'm not a member of the union who I suspect got this bill introduced.

I disagree. This bill will restrict public employees from carrying. What if the secretary in your example has a P2C under 624.714?

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:03 am 
Longtime Regular

would adding "in the scope of their employment" and a specific exemption for Persons with Carry permits undrr 624.714 help?

Not like we'll get that ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 am 
The Man

Mosin wrote:
Fubar wrote:

I disagree. This bill will restrict public employees from carrying. What if the secretary in your example has a P2C under 624.714?
Yup. That seems a high price to pay for slapping Fletcher's wrist. I'm unwilling for some secretary in some government agency to pay that price.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:10 pm 
Longtime Regular

IMO we should fight against any law abiding citizen have their second amendment rights violated, whether they have a permit or not, whether they are a cop, garbage man, or funeral director. Special people are people too. They deserve to exercise their basic human right of self protection no matter what they do for a living or who they work for IMO.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:46 am 

Proposed amendment

I wonder how this would affect Minnesota Statue 629.30
https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/sta ... tat.629.30

Quote:
629.30 ARRESTS; BY WHOM MADE; AIDING OFFICER.
Subdivision 1.Definition.

Arrest means taking a person into custody that the person may be held to answer for a public offense. "Arrest" includes actually restraining a person or taking into custody a person who submits.
Subd. 2.Who may arrest.

An arrest may be made:

(1) by a peace officer under a warrant;

(2) by a peace officer without a warrant;

(3) by an officer in the United States Customs and Border Protection or the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services without a warrant;

(4) by a private person.

A private person shall aid a peace officer in executing a warrant when requested to do so by the officer.
History:

(10566) RL s 5225; 1981 c 108 s 1; 1985 c 265 art 10 s 1; 2007 c 13 art 1 s 25

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:52 am 

I think I'm answering my own question. 629.30 isn't reserved only to peace officers so HF180 in it's current form would have no affect on it.

Maybe?

I asked Paymar anyhow to see what he thinks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:26 am 

Mosin wrote:
I asked Paymar anyhow to see what he thinks.

Objection! Assumes facts not in evidence.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:15 pm 

Paymar's response

Quote:
I discussed this with staff. As you know, citizen arrests are authorized pursuant to section 629.37 under the following circumstances:

629.37 WHEN PRIVATE PERSON MAY MAKE ARREST.
A private person may arrest another:

(1) for a public offense committed or attempted in the arresting person's presence;

(2) when the person arrested has committed a felony, although not in the arresting person's presence; or

(3) when a felony has in fact been committed, and the arresting person has reasonable cause for believing the person arrested to have committed it.

My bill deals with two situations. One, the case where a person impersonates an officer. That is not the case in valid citizen arrests. Two, the case were a person performs or attempts to perform an act that is reserved to law enforcement. As you can see from section 629.37, arresting a person is not "reserved" to law enforcement as the statute permits citizens to make arrests in certain cases. It should also be noted that if there were a conflict between the statute that I am amending (609.863) and the right to make a citizen's arrest, that conflict would have been ongoing for years as the language that has been on the books for years.

Let me know if you still have questions.

Best,

Rep Michael Paymar

I can't think of any objection I have with this bill now as written.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 am 

BigBlue wrote:
Wouldn't this mean that any governmental worker (city, county, state) be immediately restricted from carrying while on duty?

While I don't have any quotable facts to support my position, this is the internet so I'm going to assume that doesn't really matter. I'd wager that the vast majority of government workers are already forbidden from carry weapons through "employee conduct codes" and other various HR policies.

I have a copy of one handbook that on one page states non-police city employees found carrying a weapon will be immediately terminated. A few pages later deals with what to if a law-abiding citizen legally carries a weapon into city hall (to summarize: piss pants, call police).

I'm against this bill for the same reasons already listed (I know shocking, side with the smart people). Unfortunately even if this bill doesn't become law, the vast majority of government employees still won't be able to carry firearms while at work.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.