Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:10 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 Minnesota Senate Judiciary Committee For SF1165 
 Post subject: Minnesota Senate Judiciary Committee For SF1165
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:43 pm 
Eagle-eyed watcher of legislation

SF1165 isn't scheduled yet to be heard in Judiciary committee and it likely won't be for at least 3 weeks as they are swamped with budget issues now. This is a perfect time to get on the Senators below who could be on the fence based on NRA grades.

Constituent letters mean the most but I have found congresspeople? want to listen to the opinion of any law-abiding citizen whom this may affect.

<table border=1>
<tr><td colspan=5><b>Minnesota Senate Judiciary Committee 2009</b></td></tr>
<tr><td>Senator</td><td>Phone</td><td>email</td><td>For/Against</td><td>NRA Grade</td></tr>
<tr><td>Chair: Mee Moua (DFL D67)</td><td>651.296.5285</td><td>sen.mee.moua@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>F</td></tr>
<tr><td>Vice Chair: Mary A. Olson (DFL D04)</td><td>651.296.4913</td><td>sen.mary.olson@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>?</td></tr>
<tr><td>Ranking Member: Warren Limmer (R D32)</td><td>651.296.2159</td><td>sen.warren.limmer@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>A</td></tr>
<tr><td>Don Betzold (DFL D51)</td><td>651.296.2556</td><td>sen.don.betzold@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>F</td></tr>
<tr><td>Leo T. Foley (DFL D47)</td><td>651.296.4154</td><td>sen.leo.foley@senate.mn</td><td>co-author</td><td>D</td></tr>
<tr><td>Linda Higgins (DFL D58)</td><td>651.296.9246</td><td>sen.linda.higgins@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>F</td></tr>
<tr><td>Julianne E. Ortman (R D34)</td><td>651.296.4837</td><td>sen.julianne.ortman@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>A-</td></tr>
<tr><td>Pat Pariseau (R D36)</td><td>651.296.5252</td><td>sen.pat.pariseau@senate.mn</td><td>unknown</td><td>A+</td></tr>
<tr><td>Linda Scheid (DFL D46)</td><td>651.296.8869</td><td><a href="http://www.senate.leg.state.mn.us/members/member_emailform.php?mem_id=1057&ls=86">email form</a></td><td>unknown</td><td>C-</td></tr>
</table>

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

It's your constitution. They died for it. Read it. Know it.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution ... rview.html

http://LibertyMinnesota.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

Linda Sheid likes her email form for ease of pigeon-holing, but I'm pretty sure her regular email address gets to her just fine. I got her auto-responder at sen.linda.scheid@senate.mn.

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 3:25 pm 

Mee Moua?

Cripes. Is there a grade lower than F? If so, she's it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:08 pm 
Activist Extraordinaire

Dave Pendleton wrote:

Quote:
Mee Moua?

Cripes. Is there a grade lower than F? If so, she's it.

I vividly remember attending one of the committee hearings in 2003, and watching the esteemed Ms. Moua eschew paying attention to testimony in support of the MPPA in favor of opening and sorting her mail.

Her mind was already made up, and she didn't care who knew it.

"Some Things Are Worth Fighting For"
Judas Priest

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:20 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll bet Heather has her on speed dial. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:23 pm 

Pat Pariseau??? She is on the fence???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:40 pm 

I've e-mailed them all. Limmer is my senator and he is staunchly against HF953 so I assume he will also oppose 1165.

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:51 am 

realtor_packing_heat wrote:
Pat Pariseau??? She is on the fence???

Not necessarily. I put 'unknow' down until someone has heard directly that they will vote for/against.

April 19, 1775 the strongest military in the world attacked farmers and townspeople formed as militia in Concord. One year, 3 months, and 25,000 american casualties later, we would begin forming a government based on limited powers and individual liberties.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:55 am 
Longtime Regular

I guess it could happen but I'd be amazed if Pat P. was for this bill.

Pigs could fly and the devil could ice skate out his froont door before I'd expect Pat. P to support it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:14 am 

I have called several on the committee. Getting a pretty good response and they are getting calls so if you can keep the pressure on and let everyone you can know about this attempted attack on their rights. Can you imagine if the told people they are going to keep a data base on everyone who says something negative about Obama and charge you a fee to speak opening and freely......
What in the _____ are they thinking?

Post subject: Linda Scheid
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:35 am 
Journeyman Member

Linda Scheid voted for the MCPPA the second time around... I don't know if she did out of political expediency or from principle... but at least I know she has an open mind.

Please be sure to contact her, especially if you are a constituent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:56 am 
Journeyman Member

I know Sen. Scheid as a family friend from years ago.
Although I'm not in her district, whenever I have written her she has always returned a considered response and not a form letter.

Here's the text of a letter I sent her re SF1165.
Most of the text is shamelessly plaigerized from Mr. Ecker, Professor Olsen and other sources on this forum.

But why re-create the wheel when others have already done it so well? :wink:

Hi Linda,

I was very gratified after writing you in 2005 regarding the Minnesota Citizens Personal Protection Act that you voted against party line and for a citizen's natural right to protect herself with the best tool at hand, including firearms.

Today I am writing you regarding another serious threat to that right.

A bill to address the mythical “gun show loophole” (HF 953 and SF1165) has been introduced in the House by Rep. Paymar and in the Senate by Sen. Prettner Solon. It attempts to address a problem that doesn’t exist!

Supposedly this bill is mostly to address the “gun show loophole”.
The gun show loophole is a myth.

Essentially what they are concerned about is private property. At gun shows, Federally Licensed Firearms dealers (FFLs) have to do the same paperwork they would have to in their own stores. What people are referring to by the “gun show loophole” is things like one private party selling one of his firearms to another private party. And banning something as simple as a father transferring a firearm to his son or daughter is a pretty slippery slope as it opens all sorts of doors to infringe upon other private property rights.

According to the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms less than 1 in 50 guns acquired by criminals come from gun shows or private resales.* A January 2009 Star-Tribune article says that the Twin Cities’ homicide problem is largely one of uncontrolled gang/drug activity. Anyone who can sell or purchase illegal drugs can acquire a gun in that illegal transaction. This is a black market transaction, not a legitimate sale by law-abiding citizens. Don’t be fooled, this bill does NOTHING to prevent the former, but everything to impede the latter.
*Butterfield, Fox (July 1, 1999). "Gun Flows to Criminals Laid to Tiny Fraction of Dealers". The New York Times.

Minnesota statutes already contain FOUR (4) provisions to cut off “black market” transfers. They are: (1) 609.52 – Theft by the criminal himself; (2) 609.53 – Theft-once-removed by acquisition from a “fence;” (3) 609.66 subd. 1c – Receipt from an accomplice/strawman; and (4) 624.7141 – Transfer to an ineligible person.

Proponents try to justify all this by claiming the bill will make it illegal to transfer handguns and “assault weapons” to criminals. Of course what they don’t mention is this is already illegal (Minn. Stat. 609.66 subd. 1f)! So really all this does is make life difficult for law-abiding citizens. It does NOTHING to keep guns out of the hands of criminals.

This bill also wastes valuable law enforcement resources by removing the purchase permit exemption for carry permit holders. Those that possess a carry permit are already required to undergo rigorous background checks in order to carry a firearm. So current law takes the common sense approach that they don’t need to have their local police chief run a new background check just to purchase a firearm, since they’ve already been checked out to carry. By removing this exemption you require local police departments to expend valuable resources that essentially duplicate work already done by the county Sheriff.

In addition, this bill effectively creates a gun registration system, and allows those records to be released to all authorities, even for use in “civil” cases.
This makes the system ripe for abuse by anti-gun government officials. Think gun confiscation from homeowners attempting to protect themselves from looters in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

The facts show that gun registration has never reduced crime:

Registration is required in Hawaii, Chicago, and Washington D.C. Yet there has not been a single case where registration was instrumental in identifying someone who committed a crime. Criminals very rarely leave their guns at the scene of the crime. Would-be criminals also virtually never get licenses or register their weapons.
*Prof. John Lott, “Gun Licensing Leads to Increased Crime, Lost Lives”, L.A. Times, Aug 23, 2000

Most police do not see the benefit. “It is my belief that [licensing and registration] significantly misses the mark because it diverts our attention from what should be our common goal: holding the true criminals accountable for the crimes they commit and getting them off the street.”
*Bob Brooks, Ventura County Sheriff, “When ‘Gun Control’ costs lives”, Firing Line, September 2001

Criminals don't buy at gun shows.
Only 0.7% of convicts bought their firearms at gun shows.
*Bureau of Justice Statistics, “Firearm Use by Offenders”, February 2002

Five out of six gun-possessing felons obtained handguns from the secondary market and by theft, and “[the] criminal handgun market is overwhelmingly dominated by informal transactions and theft as mechanisms of supply.”
*James D. Wright, U.S. Dept of Justice, The Armed Criminal in America: A Survey of Incarcerated Felons 2 (1986)

This bill is nothing more than official harassment of lawful gun owners.

Anything that impedes the lawful transfer of property among law-abiding citizens especially grandfather to father to daughter is an over-reaching infringement by government into the private property rights of the citizenry.

SF1165 should be soundly defeated in your Judiciary Committee.
I trust adherence to principle will once again guide your vote.

Best Regards,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:59 pm 

From NRA ILA

Quote:
On Thursday March 5, State Senator Yvonne Prettner Solon (DFL-7) introduced Senate File 1165, in yet another attempt to end private firearm transfers in Minnesota. SF 1165 is the companion bill to House File 953, previously introduced by State Representative Michael Paymar (DFL-64B).

SF 1165, like HF 953, was designed to not only regulate the sale of firearms at gun shows, but to regulate the sale of firearms between all law-abiding persons, all across Minnesota. SF 1165 only affects law-abiding gun owners, and will in no way keep guns out of the hands of criminals. Also contained in SF 1165, is a de facto registration system created by requiring the records of all transfers to be maintained by the state, which would be made available to all authorities, including for use in “civil” cases. SF 1165 would also remove the permit holder exemption from a background check and even increase the waiting period from five to seven days.

SF 1165 is a direct attack on Minnesotans’ Second Amendment rights and needs to be stopped! Please contact the members of the Senate Judiciary Committee and respectfully urge them to oppose this divisive bill. Their contact information can be found below.

State Senator Mee Moua (DFL-67) Chairman
651-296-5285

State Senator Mary Olson (DFL-4) Vice Chair
651-296-5285

State Senator Warren Limmer (R-32)
651-296-4913

State Senator Don Betzold (DFL-51)
651-296-2159

State Senator Leo Foley (DFL-47)
651-296-4154

State Senator Linda Higgins (DFL-58)
651-296-9246

State Senator Julianna Ortman (R-34)
651-296-4837

State Senator Pat Pariseau (R-36)
651-296-5252

State Senator Linda Scheid (DFL-46)
651-296-8869

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.