Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:27 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 
 What's an assault weapon in MN? 
 Post subject: What's an assault weapon in MN?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:38 pm 

That is, for the purposes of transferring.

I have some shotguns and rifles I want to get rid of and two friends have approached me as buyers. The rifles are all lever or bolt action, and the shotguns are pumps. But some of the shotguns have some tacticool accessories, namely a collapsible stock and pistol grips on two.

Can I sell them in MN to people I know without doing any paperwork with the Sheriff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:48 pm 
Longtime Regular

You can right now; you won't be able to next year if Citizens for a Safer [sic] Minnesota get their way.

These are the so-called "assault weapons" that, in order to purchase from a dealer, you need a permit to purchase:

Subd. 7.Semiautomatic military-style assault weapon.

"Semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" means:

(1) any of the following firearms:

(i) Avtomat Kalashnikov (AK-47) semiautomatic rifle type;

(ii) Beretta AR-70 and BM-59 semiautomatic rifle types;

(iii) Colt AR-15 semiautomatic rifle type;

(iv) Daewoo Max-1 and Max-2 semiautomatic rifle types;

(v) Famas MAS semiautomatic rifle type;

(vi) Fabrique Nationale FN-LAR and FN-FNC semiautomatic rifle types;

(vii) Galil semiautomatic rifle type;

(viii) Heckler & Koch HK-91, HK-93, and HK-94 semiautomatic rifle types;

(ix) Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11 semiautomatic pistol and carbine types;

(x) Intratec TEC-9 semiautomatic pistol type;

(xi) Sigarms SIG 550SP and SIG 551SP semiautomatic rifle types;

(xii) SKS with detachable magazine semiautomatic rifle type;

(xiii) Steyr AUG semiautomatic rifle type;

(xiv) Street Sweeper and Striker-12 revolving-cylinder shotgun types;

(xv) USAS-12 semiautomatic shotgun type;

(xvi) Uzi semiautomatic pistol and carbine types; or

(xvii) Valmet M76 and M78 semiautomatic rifle types;

(2) any firearm that is another model made by the same manufacturer as one of the firearms listed in clause (1), and has the same action design as one of the listed firearms, and is a redesigned, renamed, or renumbered version of one of the firearms listed in clause (1), or has a slight modification or enhancement, including but not limited to a folding or retractable stock; adjustable sight; case deflector for left-handed shooters; shorter barrel; wooden, plastic, or metal stock; larger clip size; different caliber; or a bayonet mount; and

(3) any firearm that has been manufactured or sold by another company under a licensing agreement with a manufacturer of one of the firearms listed in clause (1) entered into after the effective date of Laws 1993, chapter 326, to manufacture or sell firearms that are identical or nearly identical to those listed in clause (1), or described in clause (2), regardless of the company of production or country of origin.

The weapons listed in clause (1), except those listed in items (iii), (ix), (x), (xiv), and (xv), are the weapons the importation of which was barred by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms of the United States Department of the Treasury in July 1989.

Except as otherwise specifically provided in paragraph (d), a firearm is not a "semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" if it is generally recognized as particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes under United States Code, title 18, section 925, paragraph (d)(3), or any regulations adopted pursuant to that law.

Subd. 8.Included weapons.

By August 1, 1993, and annually thereafter, the superintendent of the Bureau of Criminal Apprehension shall publish a current authoritative list of the firearms included within the definition of "semiautomatic military-style assault weapon" under this section. Dealers, purchasers, and other persons may rely on the list in complying with this chapter.

Here's the "current authoritative list" from above:
http://www.bca.state.mn.us/Invest/Docum ... 20List.PDF

It appears to contain a bunch of things not authorized by law. More later.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

you know, I've always wanted a revolving-cylinder shotgun type. No particular reason either ... This will do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:07 pm 

Apparently, one of my hobbies is dealing with the BCA. I'll have to take a look at this one.

Last edited by Jeff on Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:45 pm 
Longtime Regular

In short, the law (624.712) says that the BCA can list specific models corresponding to the "model types" in the law.

The BCA doc, though, goes further, disqualifying models based on evil features like bayonet lugs. The law gives them no authority to do that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 pm 

And you can always sell those guns to me if your friends are too spooked by all the legal ramifications. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:49 pm 
Journeyman Member

Long Ago LEO wrote:
And you can always sell those guns to me if your friends are too spooked by all the legal ramifications. :lol:

You beat me to it! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Andrew Rothman wrote:
The BCA doc, though, goes further, disqualifying models based on evil features like bayonet lugs.

And that's a good thing, considering the rash of bayonet stabbings that have been reported around the metro.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:54 pm 
Journeyman Member

This reminds me...

I bought a WASR AK a few days after the election at Dunham's in Red Wing, and I asked if the clerk filling out my 4473 needed to see my permit to purchase, which he said he did not, despite my insistence.

Obviously, the store needs an FFL license of some kind to sell firearms, so aren't they in violation of the law?

Post subject: SKS Grenade Launcher
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:04 am 

I own an SKS With A Grenade launcher. I have both a Box type and Detachable Magazine for it. I guess It is legal as long as I keep the box type Mag.

So Where Can I get some Grenades? :roll: :P :twisted:

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:48 pm 

I see. So, question: How is it that stuff on "the list" is kosher at gun shows? If it's between private parties it's totally fine?

Bear in mind I moved here from New York, so this is all AMAZING to me. :D

And yeah, if anyone's interested e-mail or PM me, as some of the tacticool numbers remain unspoken for; mossberg, maverick, remington, the usual suspects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:14 am 
Longtime Regular

Sietch wrote:
I see. So, question: How is it that stuff on "the list" is kosher at gun shows? If it's between private parties it's totally fine?

Private sales anywhere do not require a permit to purchase or a background check. The onus is on the seller to know his buyer is not legally prohibited from owning the gun in question and he could get in trouble for selling to a prohibited person.

A dealer selling any gun at a gun show (or anywhere else) must do a background check. And for the "special" guns that are somehow inherently more dangerous, the buyer must present a permit to purchase or a permit to carry.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:42 am 

Well that's simple enough. I don't see what sense it makes to change it, but I suppose I'm standing in the choir as far as that's concerned.

In New York you can't do anything without permission from the city. Once we needed to change a closet into a bathroom. Oh my God :roll:, you'd think I was trying to get a license to sell crack.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 13 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.