Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:40 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 A little e-mail from the City of Minneapolis. 
 Post subject: A little e-mail from the City of Minneapolis.
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Emphasis mine.

Quote:
March 17, 2009 ( MINNEAPOLIS ) The Minneapolis Police Department and City Attorney’s Office are launching a new citywide program designed to reduce domestic violence. This domestic violence program, which has been successfully piloted in the Fifth Precinct since February 2008, takes a two-fold approach to intervention. Officers who arrive at a misdemeanor domestic violence call will now do more investigative work at the scene. This means that prosecutors in the City Attorney’s Office will have more information available to them to prosecute a case and connect people with resources to prevent future domestic violence.

These new strategies employed by Fifth Precinct officers when they respond to a domestic violence call have been successful in increasing the prosecution rate of misdemeanor domestic violence-related cases by nearly 23 percent in the Fifth Precinct. This is the first time prosecutors in the City Attorney’s Office have seen such a significant increase in convictions for domestic violence. Prosecutors are praising the additional evidence obtained by patrol officers in these cases, calling it critical to obtaining the convictions in many cases, especially when victims recant or cannot be located.

Last month the MPD brought this new anti-domestic violence program to the Third Precinct and over the course of the year it will go to each of the Minneapolis police precincts.

During the next year every MPD patrol officer will learn how to better respond to a call for help in a misdemeanor domestic violence situation, including:

* Checking for the existence of and order for protection or domestic abuse no-contact order on every call;
* Asking the victim if there are guns in the home or if the defendant has access to guns, and seizing the gun under certain circumstances;
* Obtaining a recorded statement from the defendant;
* Obtaining a signed medical release from the victim at the time of the incident to help speed charging and prosecution efforts;
* Asking the victim to complete and sign a victim’s supplement;
* Taking photographs of the scene, defendant; victim, damaged property and injuries;
* Collecting physical evidence and;
* Questioning witnesses and obtaining contact information from all witnesses.

While implementing this protocol at a domestic violence call does take more time for responding officers, it offers significant proven benefits in being able to successfully charge and prosecute cases. Domestic violence has been a top priority for both Minneapolis Police and City Attorney’s Office because: domestic violence is usually ongoing and requires intervention to stop the behavior; it is not uncommon for misdemeanor domestic offenders to become felony domestic violence offenders; and children who experience domestic violence often replicate the behavior as adults. Intervening at the misdemeanor level can mean putting a stop to the cycle and escalation of violence, even preventing homicide.

These latest strategies to combat domestic violence in Minneapolis reinforce existing programs and the City’s resolve to end domestic violence. In October 2007, City Council and Mayor R.T Rybak approved a resolution brought forward by 12th Ward City Council Member Sandy Colvin Roy observing October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. The resolution reaffirms the City’s commitment to helping victims of domestic violence feel safe and secure in our city and to ensuring that domestic crimes are vigorously prosecuted and domestic abusers are held accountable. The City Attorney’s Office has specialized prosecution team devoted just to the prosecution of domestic violence cases. The City Attorney’s Office has been an active collaborator with the 4th Judicial District in the misdemeanor domestic violence court, and with the Court and other community partners in innovative approaches to domestic violence issues. This includes the Firearm’s Surrender Program, which was started in November 2007, in conjunction with the Hennepin County court system that allows people who have been convicted of domestic violence to surrender their firearms and ammunition at any police precinct.

For more information on what you can do to help prevent domestic violence or to help victims of domestic violence contact the Minnesota 24-Hour Domestic Violence Crisis Line: 1-866-233-1111 or visit www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/police/crime-r ... cabuse.asp.

The PIO contact for this release is Sgt. William Palmer

"The right of citizens to bear arms is just one more guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safeguard against the tyranny which now appears remote in America, but which historically has proved to be always possible." - Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, 1960

"Man has the right to deal with his oppressors by devouring their palpitating hearts." - Jean-Paul Marat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:15 pm 
Longtime Regular

There are circumstances in which I think it would be quite reasonable to seize a gun. And many in which I think it would not.

What are the "certain circumstances"?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:04 pm 
Longtime Regular

jdege wrote:
There are circumstances in which I think it would be quite reasonable to seize a gun. And many in which I think it would not.

I am sure that "certain circumstances" would be anything that would enter the atrophied little brain of any uniformed officer, just as they can search anyone and anything if they feel they are in any type of unspecified "danger".

… with all due respect to anyone with any form of atrophy at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 am 

Domestic violence is never a good thing.

I continue to be disgusted and amused at the creativity that surrounds this crime from the legislative level as above. The creative prosecution such as "terroristic threats". Don't forget the rehabilitation counseling being handed out to for profit corporations operated by cronies of those dispensing justice.

With the decrease of DUI's evrbody wants to get on the domestic violence BU$. I am thinking this piece from RT would justify a SWAT presence at most domestic calls from this day forward.

I'm not sayin' domestic violence should not be prosecuted, I'm just sayin'...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:08 am 
Poet Laureate

Traveler wrote:
jdege wrote:

I am sure that "certain circumstances" would be anything that would enter the atrophied little brain of any uniformed officer, just as they can search anyone and anything if they feel they are in any type of unspecified "danger".

… with all due respect to anyone with any form of atrophy at all.

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I don't trust anyone any a position of authority claiming special powers "under certain circumstances".

And I would think that those who are victims of domestic abuse would have the greatest need for firearms, just in case one of those certain circumstances happens again.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.