Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:00 pm

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 OC at the Tea Party and Tax Cut Rally 
 Post subject: OC at the Tea Party and Tax Cut Rally
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:49 pm 

I normally don't OC (personal choice and I have nothing against it), but I thought doing it at the Tea Party planned for April and the Tax Cut Rally planned for May would be an opportune place to bring awareness to the 2nd amendment to conservatives who might not otherwise have much thought about it.

Since I am fairly new to the carry community, I thought I would ask for some thoughts about OC on the front lawn and see if it would be a good idea for a group of us (if any of you plan to attend) to band together to make a stronger presentation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Make SURE you give notice to the DPS and are on Capitol Security (Executive Protection's) List. Otherwise, it's a Felony to carry on the Capitol Grounds.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:02 pm 

plblark wrote:
Make SURE you give notice to the DPS and are on Capitol Security (Executive Protection's) List. Otherwise, it's a Felony to carry on the Capitol Grounds.

Yep, got that part covered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 8:32 pm 

Only because you are asking for an opinion....I do not see the benefit of open carrying in an event like this (or any event for that matter - except 'sanctioned' breakfasts and picnics that I have yet to attend but will certainly be rectifying in the very near future).

Personally, I think that OC is an unnecessary distraction to the 2nd amendment cause and does no more than remind the anti's that we are out there - and in their opinion flaunting it in their face. No reason to kick an already pissed off hornets nest.

...just an opinion...because you asked!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:00 pm 

Ronin069 wrote:
Only because you are asking for an opinion....I do not see the benefit of open carrying in an event like this (or any event for that matter - except 'sanctioned' breakfasts and picnics that I have yet to attend but will certainly be rectifying in the very near future).

Personally, I think that OC is an unnecessary distraction to the 2nd amendment cause and does no more than remind the anti's that we are out there - and in their opinion flaunting it in their face. No reason to kick an already pissed off hornets nest.

I appreciate the opinion. This is what I was looking for. Do your thoughts differ knowing that both of these crowds will contain very few anti's? Remember, these are both conservative causes.

The reason I ask is because I was very agnostic about the issue until my son was born five months ago. Only after I went shopping for a home defense weapon and developed a passion for the issue did I pursue it further. Perhaps if I would have been exposed to someone carrying visibly, I would have been interested earlier in my life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

IMO--

Open carry shows anti's & others that guns can be carried by law abiding people without being a threat to anyone. It gets the public use to the law & hopefully more comfortable seeing someone with a awful gun

it's also a way to show the BS the anti's scare everyone with. And prove them wrong.

But it's your decision. Don't let others opinions persuade you one way or the other.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:35 am 
Journeyman Member

Ronin069 wrote:

+1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:56 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:

No, actually:

Make SURE you give notice to the DPS <S>and are on Capitol Security (Executive Protection's) List</S>. Otherwise, it's a Felony to carry <S>on the Capitol Grounds</S> INSIDE THE CAPITOL and other nearby BUILDINGS.

609.66 wrote:
...A person who commits either of the following acts is guilty of a felony and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than five years or to payment of a fine of not more than $10,000, or both:
(1) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives within any courthouse complex; or
(2) possesses a dangerous weapon, ammunition, or explosives in any state building within the Capitol Area described in chapter 15B....

...this subdivision does not apply to...persons who carry pistols according to the terms of a permit issued under section 624.714 and who so notify...the commissioner of public safety....

https://www.revisor.leg.state.mn.us/statutes/?id=609.66

Your job is to notify. Their silly lists are their problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:01 am 
Longtime Regular

Thank you for the clarification. you're correct.

If you'd rather spend your time on activism rather than sorting out their silly process, do that ahead of time by checking that they have completed their silly process.

better?

Post subject: Re: OC at the Tea Party and Tax Cut Rally
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:08 am 
Poet Laureate

djeepp wrote:
I normally don't OC (personal choice and I have nothing against it), but I thought doing it at the Tea Party planned for April and the Tax Cut Rally planned for May would be an opportune place to bring awareness to the 2nd amendment to conservatives who might not otherwise have much thought about it.

Since I am fairly new to the carry community, I thought I would ask for some thoughts about OC on the front lawn and see if it would be a good idea for a group of us (if any of you plan to attend) to band together to make a stronger presentation.

I agree with you very much on that. I can't think of a more opportune moment. A peaceful group of citizens, lawfully excersizing their rights, in a manner that might even garner some degree of positive media coverage. Or, at the very least (taking the media's bias into account), something that approaches positive coverage as closely as possible.

Many here advocate responsible open carry activism. What's your definition of the perfect circumstance with the most widespread positive effect?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:20 am 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
Thank you for the clarification. you're correct.

If you'd rather spend your time on activism rather than sorting out their silly process, do that ahead of time by checking that they have completed their silly process.

better?

Better, but not best. :)

If you want proof that you did your part, get a receipt. That's as far as you need to go.

Not playing their silly games, and insisting on your right, is very much activism in its own right.

Personally, I'd love it if a dozen permit holders a day notified the commissioner in person, at his office, of their intent to carry at the capitol... and that each one said, "By the way, get your head out of your ass on reciprocity."

Oh, I'd double-triple love it if they were open carrying at the time, like I was. :)

But that's just me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:32 am 
Poet Laureate

JimC wrote:
IMO--

Open carry shows anti's & others that guns can be carried by law abiding people without being a threat to anyone. It gets the public use to the law & hopefully more comfortable seeing someone with a awful gun

it's also a way to show the BS the anti's scare everyone with. And prove them wrong.

But it's your decision. Don't let others opinions persuade you one way or the other.

:shock:
Another big +1, Jim!

I'm beginning to wonder if someone has hijacked your account and begun posting pro-2A comments and common sense...! :lol:
(That jib was a joke, by the way. I know sometimes sarcasm and jokes don't come across well in written prose.)

For the record I too believe (though I don't feel there should be laws against it) that guns and alcohol don't mix! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:35 am 
Poet Laureate

Andrew Rothman wrote:
Personally, I'd love it if a dozen permit holders a day notified the commissioner in person, at his office, of their intent to carry at the capitol... and that each one said, "By the way, get your head out of your ass on reciprocity."

Oh, I'd double-triple love it if they were open carrying at the time, like I was. :)

But that's just me.

No it isn't!
Count me in for a +1. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:27 pm 
Longtime Regular

Let me know, I be in for that.

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:53 pm 

I sent the silly letter and got a silly phone call about some silly wording, no way I'm going to conceal with all that effort.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.