Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 7:06 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 OC at the Tea Party and Tax Cut Rally 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:56 am 

I suggest (I'm going to get some heat from Andrew on this one) that anyone planning to carry open or not, make sure the capital has been notified that you intend to carry on capital grounds. Chances are that if there are a group of us that we will be approached by security and at a minimum, asked to see our permits.

I have been to a few rallies before and the best place to meet is down the hill a little ways so we don't have to fight the crowd. I'm sure once a few of us gather, the rest will see us. I will be wearing a bright red shirt with a picture of Uncle Sam on the back of it (hopefully it will be warm enough that I don't have to wear a jacket).

This is not The Gopher Bar. We are not showing off or being provocative. Leave your long guns and Desert Eagles at home. Although, most of the crowd will be friendly, the antis will probably find us. We want to be polite and non-confrontational.

I was considering putting together a sign, but I don't think I'll have time to do it. Feel free to make one up. There will be many others.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:14 pm 
Longtime Regular

Quote:
I suggest (I'm going to get some heat from Andrew on this one) that anyone planning to carry open or not, make sure the capital has been notified that you intend to carry on capital grounds.

Only because it perpetuates the INCORRECT PERCEPTION that you need to send a letter to carry on the grounds. You don't -- just to carry inside any of the government buildings in the area.

On the other hand, if you want to walk into the capitol to use the restroom or meet with your elected officials, you sure need one. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:19 pm 
Longtime Regular

So, what is the nature of your protest and what do you intend to accomplish?

You might beat the charge but you're probably not going to beat the ride if Capitol security decides to interpret the difference. and it's a Felony rap if you get it wrong.

I'd make sure all my I's were dotted and my T's were crossed.

Are you ready to be the test case? Andrew can't because he's already given notice. He's right on what the law says. He's spirited on holding the public servants to the letter of the law. He'd definitely contribute to your legal defense fund. He'd even give you a referral to a good attorney. But he can't serve the time for you.

Are you willing to be a test case and get this clarified for all of us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:43 pm 

plblark wrote:
So, what is the nature of your protest and what do you intend to accomplish?

I'll assume this is directed at me. The Tea Party is about taxation without representation and opposing perpetual government expansion in general. OCing (I know you are not a fan) is only a way to bring awareness to the issue that gun rights too are under attack. Because the majority of the crowd will be gun friendly, it may just encourage a few people to go out and get their PTC.

I made damn good and sure the capital was notified. I don't have the time or the money to be a test case for anything. I suggest, as you do, that anyone on that front lawn give notification and carry your certified mail stub. I'm sure Mr. Rothman is right, but it is definitely a gray area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:54 pm 
Longtime Regular

Aw, bullshit. This isn't test case territory. This is black-letter law.

That said...

me wrote:
...do it anyway. Every notification that anti-carry Commissioner Campion gets is another reminder of a politically active permit holder.

plblark wrote:
Are you ready to be the test case? Andrew can't because he's already given notice. He's right on what the law says. He's spirited on holding the public servants to the letter of the law. He'd definitely contribute to your legal defense fund. He'd even give you a referral to a good attorney. But he can't serve the time for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:31 am 
Longtime Regular

How will capitol security interpret the steps? as part of the building or not? Why risk it?

Want to spend time finding out? Might need to use the restroom? Do the extra work so you can go inside and lobby individual legislators anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:40 pm 
Longtime Regular

plblark wrote:
How will capitol security interpret the steps? as part of the building or not? Why risk it?

Because it's no real risk. The words "in" and "building" are pretty clear cut, even to Capitol Security.

Quote:
Want to spend time finding out? Might need to use the restroom? Do the extra work so you can go inside and lobby individual legislators anyway.

Yes, as I recommended above.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:46 pm 
Longtime Regular

I'll be there and I plan on carrying....but I'll likely be carrying concealed...not heavily concealed but concealed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:39 pm 
Journeyman Member

AboutContactArchivesRSSColumnsPhotos Michelle Malkin Tracking the Tea Party crashers
By Michelle Malkin • April 14, 2009 05:12 PM Keep an eye out for the Tea Party crashers tomorrow. If you have other example to add to the list, give me a holler:

1) From Code Pink Website:

Santa Monica Tea Party Wednesday, April 15th 2009 4:00–5:00 PM Santa Monica, CA
The Santa Monica Tea Party of 2009 and Tea Parties all across America are being organized by friends of Rush Limbaugh and Bill O’Reilly, all about getting less funding for government. Let’s show up with a better message: STOP funding wars and Wall Street, and start funding the needs of the people– health care, education, and a green economy. Join us as we crash their party.

Location: Santa Monica Pier 100 Colorado Ave. Santa Monica, CA 90401

2) From DKos:

Tomorrow, my husband and I will be venturing into the wilds disguised as a news crew to do some in person interviewers with teabaggers here in Rhode Island (if we can find any). We’ve got some questions lined up to ask, but I’d love to get suggestions!

The great thing about owning professional video equipment is that armed with it, you can pass yourself off as being a professional news crew pretty easily.

So tomorrow, “WSFR” is going to send a cameraman and on air news personality out into the field to cover this “teabagging” phenomenon.

We’re going to ask open ended questions that seem to have a slight conservative bent to (hopefully) get them to open up and just start ranting. Then, we take any examples of racism, hatred, ignorance, and stupidity that we catch on camera and make a little movie out of it. Probably a YouTube special.

Here’s the list we have so far

* What are you celebrating (The Boston Tea Party), and can you explain its historical relevance? [We're hoping to get some hilarious flubs from this one]

* Is this your first time teabagging? [OK, so, a juvenile one, but worth it]

* Do you approve of Michael Steele’s plan to expand the GOP through a “hip-hop urban-suburban marketing strategy”? [hoping to get some juicy racist stuff from this question]

* (as an intentional misunderstanding/follow up, presuming that someone complains about wasteful government spending) “So you disapprove of your tax dollars going to the Iraq War?” [should elicit some confusion]

Anyways, it’s a start… but I’d love to have some suggestions for questions that sound fine, but should prompt an outpouring of crazy.

Thanks in advance, and I’ll be sure to post a link to the finished video when it’s available!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Watch out for these douchebags tomorrow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:25 am 

There is a good chance there will be some crashers there. They tend to get ignored but they can be disruptive.

I would suggest to everyone that if you approached by media of any kind, unless you are well prepared, you ignore them or kindly tell them you do not wish to be on camera. It is way too easy to be taken out of context or be caught unprepared. Let the pros handle it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:46 am 
Longtime Regular

So, the gun guys are not crashing someone else's party?
:?

The "open carry" at the tea party would seem to perpetuate the stereotype that gun rights are just for folks that are a bit "right" of the the mainstream.

Personally, I don't like it when gunnies put themselves in positions where they can be so easily marginalized.

Now, I don't think the Libertarians (who I think orgainized this one) are necessarly right wing (the libs I know have more in common with the left), but that's not the way this will play out. The liberals in power will treat all critics as "right wing". And that will work for them. :twisted:

And Yeah! If you Open Carry, I bet the media (and the fake media) won't ignore you. Be prepared with a sound bite for them if you open carry, I think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:01 am 
The Man

More generally: if you're going to attend a public event, dress conservatively, and always be prepared with a short, soundbite response for any reporter.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:22 am 

joelr wrote:
always be prepared with a short, soundbite response for any reporter.

Maybe an old pro like yourself would be so kind as to give some examples.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:03 am 
The Man

djeepp wrote:
joelr wrote:
always be prepared with a short, soundbite response for any reporter.

Maybe an old pro like yourself would be so kind as to give some examples.
Sure. You'll probably be asked, "Why are you here?" and if you givea long answer, it won't be used -- unless it can be snippetized to make you look foolish.

So:

"Because I'm angry that Obama and Pelosi are spending my grandkids' college money on AIG and ACORN. Aren't you?"

"Because it doesn't matter which bunch of thieves are mortgaging our kids' future."

[NBC-only response] "Because Keith Olbermann and Chris Matthews lied about the tea parties. I guess that tingle ran all the way up their legs, don't you?"

"Because I've been paying attention to what's going on. Looks like I'm not the only one."

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:07 am 
Longtime Regular

Give them the left-wing bumpersticker answer:
"If you're not angry, then you're not paying attention."

Profile E-mail  

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 107 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.