Index  •  FAQ  •  Search  

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:33 am

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
 URGENT: Hunter "convenience" bill SCREWS metro re 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:56 pm 
Longtime Regular

At this point I am desparately in need again to know why we should be carrying Mr. Cornish literally around the room on our shoulders. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:02 pm 
The Man

Traveler wrote:
At this point I am desparately in need again to know why we should be carrying Mr. Cornish literally around the room on our shoulders. :roll:
At this point, I can't help with that, alas.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:09 pm 
Longtime Regular

Never mind. I wish this board had a "delete this post" option. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:22 pm 
Longtime Regular

Me thinks Joel was agreeing with you.

I'd be fine if Tony would just freaking RESPOND to emails rather than being snippy and short. That's uncalled for, I don't give a shit what your voting record is.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:26 pm 
Longtime Regular

From our "friend" Tony. This just arrived:

Quote:
The writer of the e mail saying that the un cased gun bill sets a bad precedent and has unintentional consequences is wrong. They are getting far more than they are losing. (they are losing nothing, by the way.)

I lobbied for the NRA, was author of the PPA and the Castle Doctrine would never form a gun bill that sets a bad precendent. This is a good bill, HF 1238

Tony Cornish

Mr. Cornish has forwarded his reply to all that I copied on my email. I am somewhat shocked that he has not claimed responsibility for the parting of the Red Sea.

Excuse me while I set about looking up the word "precendent". From what I gather it is a decendent that has preceded you in birth.

Last edited by Traveler on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

From Mary Kiffmeyer:

Quote:
Jason

I appreciate your consideration of intentions that may go wrong.

Below is some information given to me. What might be your thoughts on this.

Currently you cannot carry an uncased gun in the 7 county metro area. The metro area never had these rights.

The Author and Co Author of this bill tell me that we are gaining far more than we are losing, which is nothing. The 7 county metro area was exempted from the law to get it thru committee and onto the floor because this exemption is currently in place so no net loss. The authors said that it was a deal they made to keep the bill on track and the overall benefits for sportsmen and women are far greater than letting it die. They do not believe this sets a precedent or degrades the preemption statute.

The authors both say that they are very pro gun. Matter of fact, Rep. Cornish was a past lobbyist for the NRA and was the author of both the Personal Protection Act, Guns on Campus and the Castle Doctrine. He states this is a good bill and people are mis-understanding the content of this bill and what it does. To be clear, the exemption is current law. This bill moves us forward with no loss of rights from what we have currently and instead gives us a great gain.

If the bill passes before us now, you would be able to carry an uncased gun on shooting preserves and on shooting ranges within the metro area and also, as soon as you leave the metro, you would also be able to.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for writing.

Mary

--------------------
Next MN carry permit class: TBD.

Permit to Carry MN
--------------------

jason <at> metrodefense <dot> com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:29 pm 
Longtime Regular

mrokern wrote:
Me thinks Joel was agreeing with you.

I'd be fine if Tony would just freaking RESPOND to emails rather than being snippy and short. That's uncalled for, I don't give a shit what your voting record is.

Even better if Rep Dill would come out from isolation and respond ... instead of letting Tony take all the heat.

I guess if Rep Cornish says the same thing enough times SOMEONE will believe it is true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:31 pm 

How did this thing get so screwed up? It started with some really dumb mistakes and morphed into this POC. :evil:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:37 pm 
Longtime Regular

you know, one would think that when the people who have been watchdogging Gun politics in MN for decades think something is dangerous the people on our side would at least listen. Especially with their track record and legal / Activism credentials.

Throw in the outcry from like minded individuals and it would be a no-brainer to listen.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:40 pm 
Journeyman Member

Joelr wrote:
Quote:
That said, I think that this is going to be opposed from folks on both sides -- the folks over at Citizens for a Supine "Safer" Minnesota[/url] seem to have taken note of it:

I think that for once I'm actually hoping the the "other side" will be saying
"No uncased guns anywhere! It will be like the Wild West! There'll be blood in the streets! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!"

Member-North American Hunting Club
Veteran - US Army

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:32 pm 

Interesting response I just received from Rep. Seifert:

Quote:
I think there may be some attempt to get this right - you may want to e-mail Rep. Buesgens as he's the GOP Lead on Finance.

mjs

Wonder what that 'attempt to get this right' involves?

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:56 pm 

And then Rep. Buesgens just replied with a simple 'Thanks', no further details. Guess we'll have to wait longer for the answer...

BB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:30 pm 
The Man

princewally wrote:
From Mary Kiffmeyer:

Quote:
Jason

I appreciate your consideration of intentions that may go wrong.

Below is some information given to me. What might be your thoughts on this.

Currently you cannot carry an uncased gun in the 7 county metro area. The metro area never had these rights.

The Author and Co Author of this bill tell me that we are gaining far more than we are losing, which is nothing. The 7 county metro area was exempted from the law to get it thru committee and onto the floor because this exemption is currently in place so no net loss. The authors said that it was a deal they made to keep the bill on track and the overall benefits for sportsmen and women are far greater than letting it die. They do not believe this sets a precedent or degrades the preemption statute.

The authors both say that they are very pro gun. Matter of fact, Rep. Cornish was a past lobbyist for the NRA and was the author of both the Personal Protection Act, Guns on Campus and the Castle Doctrine. He states this is a good bill and people are mis-understanding the content of this bill and what it does. To be clear, the exemption is current law. This bill moves us forward with no loss of rights from what we have currently and instead gives us a great gain.

If the bill passes before us now, you would be able to carry an uncased gun on shooting preserves and on shooting ranges within the metro area and also, as soon as you leave the metro, you would also be able to.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know your thoughts.

Thank you for writing.

Mary
Sigh. Of course it loses us something that we had before: the notion that gun owners are treated the same way, across the state, regardless of what zip code they happen to be in at the time.

That's not the only thing wrong with the Mild Inconvenience Repeal bill, but it's bad enough that it should kill the stupid idea.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Where is it in the law that metro uncased is illegal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:50 pm 

I dont' understand where Ms. Kiffmeyer gets the idea that it's any more or less illegal to carry uncased in Washington County than it is in Itasca or any other county. Does anyone know where this idea comes from?

Post subject: Re: Where is it in the law that metro uncased is illegal
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:57 pm 

Hunter7227 wrote:
I dont' understand where Ms. Kiffmeyer gets the idea that it's any more or less illegal to carry uncased in Washington County than it is in Itasca or any other county. Does anyone know where this idea comes from?

My guess is that the logic goes like this:

"Nobody had the right to carry an uncased weapon in a vehicle before. Now we are making it OK for some people to carry uncased in some circumstances. That's got to be good, right? "

They don't understand that it WOULD BE good if there weren't bad people who would use this against gun owners in the future, but since they will it IS BAD. People who believe it is good either a) don't understand; b) have blind faith that things will be OK; or c) want the toehold to be established.

BB

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next

This is a static archive the Twin Cities Carry forum, maintained as a public service by the current forum of record, The Minnesota Carry Forum.